Blast from the past thread

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here's a couple more early LED retina scorchers:

IMG_20180321_093156.jpg

Pelican's M6 2390 and Streamlight TL2 LED (gen 2)

The Pelican reportedly used a CREE back then and according to Amazon first became available back in 2003. It touted the words "3 watt" LED, which back then meant brighter than your dads maglite. Frankly had I known an LED could put out 177 lumens at that time my incan minimag woulda been shelved long before it was. Pure white throwey beam, this must've wow'd a few folks back then. Near silent clicky with a lock out feature allows it to be used as a twisty, which back then may have been a good idea thanks to Pelican's less than rock solid proprietary clickys. Nice hard coating on these were a shine free black or olive drab. Still available at Pelicans site or other sources, yet still go for over $100 new. I lucked up and found the like new pictured one for less than $50 at the bay.

The Streamlight TL2 LED started out pretty dim, but the 2nd gen one touted 9000+ candella at 160 lumens. It's still one of my favorites. Streamlight was secretive about which LED's they used, but CPFr's knew the deal. A copy paper white beam could throw a good long ways from the light that wasn't much bigger than an E. Again, the lockout feature allowed it to be a twisty or an easy press to on was available. The coating was more of a durable paint job so using these meant a scar'd outside before long. According (again) to Amazon these were available in 2001. Don't know if that was the gen 1 because often times Amazon blends information for various models of things.

Both were from the days before made in China was on the packaging, yet the TL2 was about 1/2 the price of SureFire lights. A similar version called the Nite Fighter had a more military application but parts inside were virtually the same.

Both of these are user serviceable but good luck finding parts. They both had lifetime no bs warranties too. I've never had to redeem warranties from either company but it's likely they'd just send you an updated Asian made model.

ven

Flashaholic
very nice mr fixer, something for sure about those classic lights(when flashlights looked like flashlights). I am going to add a streamlight to my little family at some point, just finalising which! But thats the fun ..........

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I am going to add a streamlight to my little family at some point, just finalising which! But thats the fun ..........

I think you'll find any with the HL monicker or newer more to your liking in use. The early stuff were all about the throw. As they updated models they built more dispersed beams into them.
Strion LED were real nice and had a nice overall beam. Think M61 beam. They were also more nuetral tinted. Maybe 6000 kelvin versus the blinding white of the TL2/Nite Fighter lights.

With an all metal flat top 18650 and a spring stretch the Strion can work. There is a wide spring and a narrow spring at the light end. The Strion battery is metal at the top.

IMG_20180321_132754.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Cool, thanks for info........................will have to look at the options. Not got a clue!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here's a love 'em or hate 'em type addition:
The SureFire A2 Aviator and R60 bulb module;

IMG_20180324_110944.jpg

The A2 was a novel approach to a low/high experience and the R60 was made for the rechargeable lights of the time.

The A2 has 3 LED's in a triangle for low and a Christmas tree looking light bulb for high. The one pictured has a white LED array that put out a blue fringed Mickey Mouse ear looking beam when aimed at a wall. Yet for navigating in real world use the output was real nice, especially for the era when they were built. Pressing lightly on the tailcap gives a low beam. Pressing a bit further into the light activates the light bulb that suddenly lights up the joint. Twisting the tailcap allows whichever setting to remain turned on.
Meant for use by pilots while improving on previous pilot oriented flashlights from the past, this one allowed pilots to actually inspect the fuselage thanks to a much brighter output from the 6 volts instead of a #224 fired by a pair of AA's. (Just Rite had the market cornered prior to the A2)
It also had varying color LED's available where the previous designs only had a red filter.

IMG_20180325_111855.jpg

2 generations of Just Rite
The green clad one was from the 40's and featured a sliding on/off switch. The chrome one was a Vietnam era version that featured a twist on/off tailcap. Both featured a pivoting plastic filter that made it into a red output cockpit light.
The SureFire could be had in red, or green or other colors.
CPFr's figured out ways to improve the LED output and later SureFire had LED versions to replace the lightbulb version.

The R60 was designed around more runtime from early rechargeables by SureFire that were about the size of 3.5 CR123's in series. Instead of an hour of direct drive output from a P60, officers could get about an hour and a half from an R60. Instead of 65 lumens from a P60 they got 50 lumens that appeared very similar. The R60 was a tighter spot with less spill so at a distance the beam was very similar. There was a light called the 6R that used the R60 that was a lot longer than the 6P. According to lore the 6R was not a big seller back then like the 6P.

So even though the beam of the A2 was not a big hit, nor was the big ole 6R, they spawned a whole set of ideas we now see throughout the industry.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 was a novel approach to a low/high experience...

So even though the beam of the A2 was not a big hit... they spawned a whole set of ideas we now see throughout the industry.

With its ingenious UI and a slim form factor, this little dual output gadget was revolutionary. The technology has since evolved, but I see the DNA of the A2 Aviator in every one of today's multi-mode, one inch diameter, pocket clipped lights.

I see you've swapped out the clip on this one. Dig it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The one I got from you MF is still my user. I recently picked up the pictured one with the dual clip for the clip and still working oem bulb. A fellow had bought it to mod and changed his mind. If I understand correctly he bought it used, opened the package, looked at the light briefly and put it up for sale. I bought it like 12 minutes later. lol.

The A2 was definitely a game changer, and like you said the DNA shows up often.

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
How about a Nuwai Q-III? These were highly regarded when they first came out. I wasn't willing to pay the asking price then, but I later snatched up a few when they went on clearance. They were very much participants in the Luxeon lottery. I remember out of the five I bought two had a cat **** green LED, a couple were alien blue-ish, and the last had a nice neutral tint. I kept the neutral for myself, gave my wife and daughter one each, and stashed the others around the house. Probably shouldn't have done that, I stashed them so well I no longer remember where they are. :fail:

40991321182_0426821a13_c.jpg

Still a decent light, though runtime is a bit wanting.

The 6PL perfectly demonstrates why I lament the demise of SureFire lego. It's dated now like the Nuwai. No matter, a simple swap of the P60L for a Malkoff M61NL and it's back to being a top notch performer. This light is future-proof.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I hear ya on the "not paying that much" part. But with patience nice second hand examples can be found for a deal. Hopefully your CRS will subside long enough to let you remember where the others went.

The 6PL is/was a goody. One of the first to use the ever popular thermal step down feature. I lucked up and found a G2L a while ago, but kept it stock. 85 wonderful blumens and all.

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
I found a G2L for my daughter recently. She's a Girl Scout now, so she needs a good light. I figure the yellow is a good choice, I don't think that many other kids will be running around carrying this discontinued model in that color. Should make it easy to spot and identify.

40935893502_09bf6cc90c_c.jpg

Like yours this light was kept stock. She's not a flashaholic, so it'll do.

The E2D is hers too. Gonna drop a Lumens Factory LED module in it. Going to give it to her in a few years and instruct her to carry and use it so as to discourage handsy young men.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good deal Kamagong. Classics never go outta style.

So here's the light that got me understanding that a minimag with a lightbulb and new batteries was a birthday candle compared to the stuff available in about 2013/14.
htv0ao.jpg

The Coast HP7 (titanium color)
Oh, I suppose this one will cause some scoffs, or perhaps a couple of laughs. Yet this offspring of the once mighty LED Lenser P7 won't no joke on a construction site at 2am. The one in the photo has probably received more abuse than all my other lights combined and aint never flinched. With all those blu-mens in a direct drive lighting tool this one has certainly earned its keep.

5eybeb.jpg

Whatever the emitter is that sucker was amazing.
Being a zoomie that didn't put out a square beam, when zoom'd all the way out it was pure light spread. Zoom'd in meant a heckuva a throw. All kindsa ugly in between.

Using supplied batteries you could watch it dim. But throw in some Eneloop Pro cells...
s15mix.jpg

Things are vastly different with these.
They were available in a clam shell package at big box stores or in a nice gift box from Coast. A call to their 1-800 number got you a nice lanyard at no cost and if the light failed they'd send you a new one.

The pictured light has been riding in my work vehicle since new. Three vehicles and a couple hundred thousand miles later it still works like new. Back then Coast boasted 360 lumens when 250 was the high water mark in consumer lighting tools. It was a pocket sized 3D Mag for a few more coins and a gateway to many a budding flashaholic.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
How about that Inova X0 by Emissive Energy?

IMG_20180418_200150.jpg

AR coated glass lens, stainless bezel, tir optic, HA Ty 3 coating. Circa 2004 this little number was pretty sweet. The ringy pencil beam was loved by some, hated by others according to past threads here at cpf. I suppose near $60 must've been seen as expensive for this US made (pre-Nite Ize) light. And don't forget to put the CR123's in backwards. It is reported it had a 1.2 watt Luxeon but I've yet to find the lumen rating. All I know is it's pretty bright for it's age. It's also pretty durable and water tight.

IPX8? Got me. But when left outside in the rain nothing got inside. The twisty switch is easy enough to one hand with practice. The smooth octogan barrel makes for decent grip yet round at each end negates any anti-roll ideas. Easily slid in or out of a holster and holes for a lanyard made this a very viable cop light at a time when 6volt cop lights were beginning to replace C/D sized numbers on the duty belt.

IMG_20180418_200220.jpg

The business end

IMG_20180418_200302.jpg

Smooth but grippy button

IMG_20180418_200335.jpg

Lots of candela from this old light.

IMG_20180418_201800.jpg

It's a big little light.

Thanks to member arewethereyetdad for the great deal on this one. It's a fine addition to the classic LED light collection.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I must admit I'm late to the party and the folks having all the fun back then have long since left the party.

But I read a lot. And it seems the Inova was deemed as less expensive alternatives to SureFire back then. Especially with the flashaholic crowd. Being a fan of cop lights I tend to collect 'duty lights' more than anything else. And I lucked up and scored a minty version of each Inova made by Emissive Energy. X5, X1 etc.

I have a few versions of the X1, and will talk about those later. It seems folks went gaga over the X5 but I'm kinda scratching my head on why.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here's one from not that long ago that did not get much attention from the flashaholic crowd. The maker has a bad reputation as one that didn't pay their bills. So with that said....

The PowerTac Warrior Gen 2 was a pretty good flashlight politics aside. I used to watch their site for clearance items and found a Gen 2 kit for under $100.

IMG_20180630_093359.jpg

Pretty complete deal-ee-oh for under a Benjamin.

Now if I was a lawman or soldier I'd opt for another brand knowing a proven reliability is preferred. But for recreation or coyote hunting this 850 lumen light was pretty sweet. Lots of throw thanks to a deep mirror finish alluminum reflector. Basically it's made with Olight parts in a PowerTac shaped body. If you like the Olight Javalot this will be familiar.

One thing PowerTac did that was a dud with most folks was a side switch to raise or lower output. It has a memory until you stop parasitic drain with the lockout feature, which prompts it back to low. For this type of light and its intended market prompting to high would've been better. It has four brightness levels from low/low, to low to medium to high. The medium was great in that it was about 75% full output with a lot better runtime. The memory feature ensures your favorite setting each time... until you cut power to the tailcap.

From off the side button activates insta-strobe if you like that. I use the tailcap on another brand light on my bedside table light for the instant low at 2am or instant strobe if needed.

It featured shock isolation at both ends of the fuel source. The type 3 annodized barrel is drilled for your favorite 18mm fuel source, which was novel when this light was made. It also comes with a sleeve for stability when using primaries.
IMG_20180630_093440.jpg

To me the switch was a potential weak point as over time folks have noted issues with Olight clickies. It comes with a user fixable tailcap in a skull clunker style or a round non tail stand shape. The tacticool one has provisions for a lanyard. But the round one is more user friendly for daily use. The sculpted bezel ring is removeable without leaving a need for replacing it to hold in the borofloat lens.

One of the things I liked was the heat sync head so it didn't do that step down thing where it put out 100% for a minute then fall into 60% mode.

PK did a 1000 lumen version of this light with a production of only 250. It had PK specific parts and pieces.

IMG_20180630_104146.jpg

About the size of a U2 or Kroma.
He did both 1 cell and 2 cell versions. Both were pretty sweet. Perhaps the only PK light ever made with strobe back in around 2015/16.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had arranged to buy one of the U.S. "sterile" Inovas through a CPF member a few years back, but the USPS money order literally got lost in the mail, and I think the seller was not trusting the delay, and the situation (quite understandably), so the deal fell through. I have never owned an Inova, but the apparent build quality always impressed me.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never owned an Inova, but the apparent build quality always impressed me.

I've only really used the X series lights but for me they are still a gold standard for K.I.S.S design and burly construction. My X5s are so dead simple that if you unscrew the tailcap and touch the end of the cell and the threads with your thumb and forefinger the LEDs will actually light up slightly.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_20180701_120610.jpg

The Fenix EO1.

Quite possibly one of the all time great flashlights. Regulated and water tight. Pocket size and durable.

Some have compared it to the once undisputed king... the ARC aaa. That says a lot right there.

To me the best part is a light from 2008 can still be easily found across the internet 10 years later.