BLF/TLF FW3A impressions

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've swaped LED's on mine. WW is orange, not warm at all.
Anyhow, fellow flashahic flashed the driver for and i've reattached everything so SST-20 3500K with Amber secondaries... sweet
844bc4916290d251dd0a52a85714dfb6.jpg

LedTed

Enlightened
I appreciate you doing all the work to share your impression; great write up and pictures. I especially like your description of the FW3A (The TL;DR). It is spot on!

I received my flashlight yesterday and, after charging the battery I ordered for it at the same time and place, played with the light overnight.

I believe the optics to be only slightly frosted. I found the beam shape perfect for my needs; with a few minor artifacts on the outside edge of the spill.

The LEDs I choose were Cree XP-L HI 3D. I found the color they emitted pleasingly just noticeably creamy; with neither a hint of blue or green. The light meter app on my phone found the color temp to be 5058K.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've swaped LED's on mine. WW is orange, not warm at all.
Anyhow, fellow flashahic flashed the driver for and i've reattached everything so SST-20 3500K with Amber secondaries... sweet
844bc4916290d251dd0a52a85714dfb6.jpg
Agreed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

LedTed

Enlightened
Both the Felix AOD-S and NiteCore NDF25 diffusers fit very, very snugly on the FW3A. They are very useful with candle mode. Of the two, I prefer the AOD-S, as it can be used either tail standing or diffuser down.

Msf

Enlightened
Received my Nichia variant two days ago and it has quickly become my go to edc. While the XPL has much greater output, the Nichia provided more than enough for my purposes and I use legitimate searchlights when I really need to reach out. Anyhow, this light has impressed enough to order two more for my camping setup. Time will tell if the reliability will be such that I will be willing to leave my backup non QTC Peak AAs at home. For now, the FW3A certainly has the potential to displace most of my 16340 and 18350 based alternatives due to the ability to pack an 18650 in such a small and infinitely variable light. I have an emisar D4, but could never warm to the side switch. This lumintop ticks the boxes for me. Tail switch, Floody enough to use as a work light, enough power to reach out when necessary, lots of juice, infinitely variable, and low enough cost that I am not afraid to abuse it.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I wanted a cleaner look and feel of the light, so I removed the clip for a couple of weeks. I noticed some erratic/intermittent trouble w/ the light not working right. Does anyone know if the clip has something to do w/ contact and/or spacing that may cause issues? I've just reinstalled the clip, but not enough usage to see if it's all right now. Thank you...

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I recall correctly from the BLF thread, the clip does help it function correctly. There was a bunch of complaints with clip vs no clip and the tailcap glued vs no glue (how it is now)

boo5ted

Enlightened
If I recall correctly from the BLF thread, the clip does help it function correctly. There was a bunch of complaints with clip vs no clip and the tailcap glued vs no glue (how it is now)

Actually it's never been glued, the newer ones come with a retaining ring in the tailcap so the pieces stay in if you remove the tail cap.

longuylander

Newly Enlightened
I received my FW3A about two weeks ago and it has ruined me for all my other flashlights. Its size, output (with XP-Ls 5000K), and UI are all fantastic. It occasionally gets quirky (only flickering when attempting to turn it on) but a quick unscrewing and replacing the head fixes it (though does leave me a bit worried for its longevity; as I said it's only two weeks I've had it). I'd like to order a deep carry clip for it, but the only place that sells them are Neal's website, and his communication and shipping records are not the best.

adnj

Enlightened
I received my FW3A about two weeks ago and it has ruined me for all my other flashlights. Its size, output (with XP-Ls 5000K), and UI are all fantastic. It occasionally gets quirky (only flickering when attempting to turn it on) but a quick unscrewing and replacing the head fixes it (though does leave me a bit worried for its longevity; as I said it's only two weeks I've had it). I'd like to order a deep carry clip for it, but the only place that sells them are Neal's website, and his communication and shipping records are not the best.
You can try cleaning the contacts on the head's circuit board and the body tubes.

The deep carry clip is very nice to have. It works well and is well made. The stainless bezel is the the accessory that I really like though.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember first getting this and watching videos, learning about the Andúril UI, and telling myself to remember to open the head only as opening from the battery / switch side can render the switch inoperable. FF to the other day, switch stopped working after charging the 18650, taking it out through the switch side. Got it to work - but it's kind of a bummer that the switch isn't more robust.