BLF/TLF FW3A - now available

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see an aux led array. Have been using the four click lock out and the momentary press moonlight mode is fantastic. < This is where the button shines for me.

:)

Lexel sells aux LED boards compatible with the FW3A. You'll need some modding experience in order to install them though.

pappajohan

Newly Enlightened
I wonder....

Does the Switch on the newer versions, the lights that came after the first run that is, have the same feather light activation as the first runs does?

Considering getting a second FW3a in blue, but still considering the FW1a just to stir things up a bit....

The Switch situation may tip the scale one way or the other....

Skickat från min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder....

Does the Switch on the newer versions, the lights that came after the first run that is, have the same feather light activation as the first runs does?

Considering getting a second FW3a in blue, but still considering the FW1a just to stir things up a bit....

The Switch situation may tip the scale one way or the other....

Skickat från min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

Actually I've noticed quite the opposite.

My first two FW3A were first-run lights. They came with a fairly stiff switch with a very satisfying click.

However, all my subsequent FW3 lights came with much softer-touch switches that had less click and required much less pressure.

Note that the switch in the FW3A is dead simple. It's literally just 3 pieces: the tailcap board, a piece of bent springsteel, and a piece of Kapton tape holding them together. I wonder if I can improve the click by removing the springsteel and bending it a bit more. I might give it a shot on one switch module.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
A great advantage of the FW3A is the wide availability of options to customize your light as you see fit. Few flashlights of this caliber make such an offering.

First, it's great having the Carclo optics, as many different types are available, as I posted about earlier (LINK). Second, with more variety in materials, it's now possible to mix-n-match. I bought a stainless steel bezel and I find it a good visual improvement. There's so many different GITD insert colors. I started with green, which works well. But I decided to try out aqua. Nice coloration. I knew it wouldn't have quite as bright and long a radiance, but it feels rather noticeable.

FW3-A-SS-bezel.jpg

I apologize for not color balancing this... as it's more blue in person than representative in the photo.

I also wanted a diffuser. There is a 3D printed one available that's decent, but I wanted one a bit more solid. Found one from Nitecore that works perfectly.

FW3-A-Nitecore-Diffuser-01.jpg

FW3-A-Nitecore-Diffuser-02.jpg

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where is the best place to buy the newest version of these guys? Also, how does this compare to the new Emisar D4v2?
I got my from Illumination Supply. I like how they link to the recommended (high drain) 18650 batteries. Just received my D4V2 and like the tri LED FW3A, the quad LED makes for a perfect walking beam to light your path. The Anduril FW is the same for both, so that makes it easy to have both. You can get a magnet for the D4V2 tailcap, but I don't like magnets since I wear a high end watch now and then and those two don't work well together lol. But it comes in handy for many people. The aux light displays on the D4V2 is quite the site - just in time for Christmas.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
D4V2 compared with FW3A:

Size - both lights are very similar in size. The FW3A is slightly smaller, and lighter, but not enough to make a very noticeable difference. The FW3A weighs about 100g with a Sony VTC6 battery installed, compared with 115g for the D4V2.

Ergonomics - the FW3A uses a rear electronic switch and is meant to be used with a cigar grip (fish the light out of your pocket with index and middle fingers then use thumb to press button). The D4V2 uses an electronic side switch and has grippy square knurling. The FW3A intentionally has no knurling on the center part of the battery tube so that when fishing the light out of your pocket your fingers will slide up the tube until they hit the tailcap.

Output
- the D4V2 is a quad emitter light, while the FW3A is a triple emitter light. The D4V2 is also a bit more heavily built with heatsink fins and low resistance springs. This means the D4V2 is brighter (max output 4300 lumens compared to around 2800 for the FW3A). Both lights can use standard Carclo optics. This gives the FW3A more options since there seem to be more 20mm triple optic choices than there are 24mm quad optics.

Emitters
- both lights are available in various different emitters. If you like neutral tint with max output, the D4V2 is better since their XPL HI 4000K has excellent tint and output. However, if you like high-CRI, the FW3A has noticeably better tint bins for the SST20 4000K 95CRI emitters than what Emisar is using. Lumintop's Nichia 219C high-CRI also has a very nice tint.

Options
- both lights are available for sale in a variety of materials and colors and have many optional accessories available:
FW3A - 18350 tube, 18500 tube; colors: blue, olive, purple, bare, grey; materials: aluminum, copper, Ti-Cu, titanium; Glow gaskets for the optic; different clip options.
D4V2 - 18350 tube, 18500 tube; colors: grey, black, gold; materials: aluminum, Ti-Cu, brass; Optional tailcap magnet; switch retaining ring: flush or raised (greatly reduces accidental activation in pocket).

Firmware - both lights use Toykeeper's excellent Anduril firmware. However, the D4v2 tends to ship with a more recent version. The D4v2 also has the advantage that it can be reflashed to the very latest version of the firmware via a flashing kit available from International Outdoors. And because the driver has pogo-pin contact pads on the backside it can be reflashed without disassembling the head. In contrast, reflashing the FW3A requires desoldering and removing the driver then using an SOIC clip to attach the flasher to the MCU.

Driver channels: FW3A has 3-channel driver: 1+8+FET, while the D4V2 has a 2-channel driver 1+FET. This means the FW3A stays in regulation until 2.8 amps before going direct drive with the FET, while the D4V2 only regulates up to 350 millamps. This means the FW3A's driver is slightly more efficient at intermediate modes up to 2.8 amps.

Microprocessor
: ATiny85 microprocessor on the FW3A, while the D4V2 has a more powerful ATiny 1634 with twice the memory. This doesn't matter much out of the box, but the D4V2 has more memory for possible future firmware upgrades.

Aux Bezel LEDS: The D4v2 has very pretty colored bezel LEDs. You can change the colors and brightness all via firmware, and can even have them work as a battery indicator. The Ti-Cu and Brass D4v2 also have a white switch boot with LEDs under the boot in addition to the bezel LEDs. These aux LEDs look really cool and give the light an extremely futuristic look. The FW3A does not come with any aux LEDs. You can order an aux LED board for the FW3A from Lexel, but you'll have to install it yourself and even then it won't be able to change colors like the D4v2's aux LEDs.

Accidental pocket activation: The FW3A has a large metal tailcap switch that is quite easy to accidentally depress. This can be fixed with a simple mod to the interior of the switch and/or by gluing a washer around the button. The D4V2 is available with a raised switch boot retaining ring that makes it very unlikely the light will activate accidentally in the pocket. The latest models of D4v2 also come with more recent firmware that includes more protection against accidental activation than the firmware version in the FW3A.

Quality Control: The FW3A has an inner contact tube that sits inside the outer battery tube. This is what lets the light have an electronic switch in the tailcap. However, it is a bit finicky and users have reported many more issues with the FW3A than with the D4v2's more conventional design.

My opinion: I like both lights. But as a personal preference, I think I prefer grippy sideswitch lights to the slippery cigar grip. I prefer the D4v2 over the FW3A.

Last edited:

Coinmn

Newly Enlightened
I just got my FW3A from NealsGadgets and put in a fully charged 18650 and the light flashed when I first put the battery in and then nothing. I unscrewed the top of the light (the part with the LED) and inserted the battery polarity correctly, and as soon as the screw on LED head touches the battery it has a brief flash, then continued screwing on the top and nothing. Tried different fully charged batteries and nothing. But every time I insert a new battery it seems to ground out and flash and then nothing until I remove the battery and re-insert the battery. Have sent NealsGadgets 4 emails and had no response at all. The instructions say to unscrew the cap and not unscrew the bottom. I think there must be a short, but don't want to screw with a warranty issue or disregarding instructions. It should work out of the box. NO RESPONSE FROM NEALSGADGETS at all, so filing a complaint with PAYPAL and see how that goes. BUT, in the meantime is there a simple fix or does someone have a suggestion to try to get this to work. I think it's shorting out somewhere, just don't know where.
thanks

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brief flash you're getting when you screw on the head indicates the battery is connected and the driver is powered. It does not sound like you're getting a short.

If you had a short, you'd get one of the following: (1) battery short: the light would get really hot and then explode or melt the springs; or (2) driver short: the light would turn on at max power the second the head was partially screwed in and the button would do nothing; or (3) switch short: the light would ramp up to max and stay there while not responding to the button.

Fortunately, none of those are happening in your light. In your light, nothing is happening when you press the button. The problem in your light is the switch and/or the switch path to the driver. This is a fairly common problem with these lights and is usually fixable. Try this:

1. Unscrew and remove the head of the light (the head is the front of the light with the LEDs and driver).
2. Remove the battery.
3. Unscrew and remove the tailcap from the body tube.
4. The body tube consists of an outer tube and a black inner tube. The inner tube is what transmits the electrical connection from the switch at the back of the light to the driver at the front of the light. Check the bare (unanodized) edges of the tube and make sure they are clean.
5. Check the contact rings that the tube sits on on the driver and at the tailcap to make sure they are clear of debris.
6. Screw the tailcap onto the body tube. Screw it down as hard as you can since you need firm contact.
7. Insert the battery.
8. Screw on the head of the light.
9. If it still does not work try screwing on the head and tailcap harder.
10. If that doesn't fix it, the problem could be inside the tailcap. Still fixable, but harder. The switch in the FW3A is dead simple. It's literally just a piece of spring-steel sitting on the tailcap pcb with some Kapton tape holding it in place. Since it is so simple, it is highly unlikely that the switch itself is broken. However, sometimes the tailcap pcb fails to make a good connection with the bottom of the tailcap.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The FW3A can be a frustrating light. Manufacturing tolerances are far too tight to allow it to be cheaply produced. As a result, there are a lot of problems with this light. IMO, no newbie should purchase this light. Unless your post count is higher than 100, stay away from the FW3A.

If you know how to fix the many issues with this light, then it can be a very fun toy. I have one, and enjoy it when I use it, but I would never depend on it where I really needed a light.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
As mentioned above, this problem is usually caused by the battery tube not making proper contact somewhere. That's the good thing about the flash, it tells you that things are ok with the outer body connections.

The first time my FW3A had this problem was because the little clear O ring was bulged out and jammed between clip and tailcap preventing the tailcap from going completely home. I loosened the tailcap, poked the O ring back in, re-screwed the tail down tight and it was fixed. It's always good to loosen the head a little before tightening the tailcap just to give the inner tube room to move and seat properly.

The second time I had this problem was with the optional shorty 18350 tube. In that case the shorty inner tube was machined too short and the head needs to be overtightened just to get contact with the end of the tube.

LedTed

Enlightened
Actually I've noticed quite the opposite.

My first two FW3A were first-run lights. They came with a fairly stiff switch with a very satisfying click.

However, all my subsequent FW3 lights came with much softer-touch switches that had less click and required much less pressure.

Note that the switch in the FW3A is dead simple. It's literally just 3 pieces: the tailcap board, a piece of bent springsteel, and a piece of Kapton tape holding them together. I wonder if I can improve the click by removing the springsteel and bending it a bit more. I might give it a shot on one switch module.

I have now had to fix every FWXX flashlight I have; from first production run aluminum to very end of last year's titanium.

While performing several different repairs, I noticed that I have three different switch pad nubs.

On two of my FW3As - I removed the nubs and, in place, used o-rings. Though I'm sure this will shorten the useable life of the membrane switches, the consistency of switch actuations and (so far) elimination of accidental switch activations is worth the early end of switch life.