Blinking module for ARC AAA series?

JollyRoger

Enlightened
How feasible (or possible) would it be to make a disc-shaped piece that sits in between the positive battery contact of the AAA in the ARC (in between the head and the battery) that would enable the ARC to become a blinking device? Basically, I'm interested in using the ARC as a handy, multi-use light, and one of the intended applications (besides a keychain light) is putting it on my bike handlebars when I come home late from work (in the dark), etc. I'm hoping that such a "blinking module" or "disc" would still maintain the ARC's sun/moon features....so the blinking would remain very bright until the battery is almost depleted. Hopefully, such a blink module would also greatly increase the battery life. I'd like a blink rate close to the Photon 3's "fast blink" rate (something kind of fast).

Is such a module possible? How much do you guys think it would cost? (I'm no electrical engineer...)

Gadget, do you think you might be able to make one? (small enough to fit inside the arc.) Anyone else?

I think such "modules" could make the ARC very useful...Gransee, I asked you about this but it wasn't one of your top priorities...and probably isn't really worth your time to make me a custom module! But if it can be successfully done w/ modest cost, maybe you'd be interested? (kind of like my tail cap switch suggestion--having all future lights with a screw on end--similar to the mini mags--but replaceable with a push button tail cap "module" if users so wish...)

Mike

Newly Enlightened
How about using the guts and LED from a Photon III and attach it to something like a 3 AA battery pack for long battery life.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Well, the thing is, I'd like to stick with the ARC AAA...it's a nice, small, simple package that I can toss in my bag, etc.

A 3aa setup is too big....I would rather use a bike light if I wanted to go that big...

I already use the ARC as a make-shift light when I get caught at night, but would just like to prolong the life (double it?) by adding the blink feature...what about pulsing it so fast that you can't easily tell with your eyes...I wonder if that is possible...and how much longer it would add to the battery life...

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
There isn't a lot of room in the Arc-AAA housing. You would probably need SMDs and be proficient in "gnat surgery".
smile.gif
I can't really say how to do it, but I envision either a small dedicated IC that would do the job, or an astable flip-flop that would require 3 transistors, 4 resistors and 2 capacitors. It may be beyond the scope of most hobbyists.

Good luck

arab

Enlightened
There is a ***cheap*** and ***nasty*** way of getting the standard torch to flash on and off - not to blink however. Turn the head until the light comes on. Then back it off a ***little*** bit - just enough to get it switched off. You'll need to experiment to get it right. When you do, you can momentarily flick the light on and off by pressing lightly on the head.
wink.gif