blue laser prices

TurtleDude

Newly Enlightened
now heres what i was thinking, sony is developing the new blue ray disk system curently to be released possibly in the next year or two? well it would be pretty impracticle to put a dpps laser in a disk drive so that means they are likely to develope a diode system of some sort to cheaply (reasonably cheaply at leaste) produce blue laser light. either way, dpss or diode, if there is no way sony could sell the drives for 2000 dollars so they will most likely research cheaper ways to produce the blue lasers and that should then bring forth a new wave of cheap blue laser pointers so hopefully sony will be our salvation to cheap blue coherent ions gallore! what do you all think?

blulaser.jpg

(picture from ledmuseum.org)

xenophobe

Newly Enlightened
The only reason blue led lasers are so much is because their design is patented and you cannot buy one without paying the patent owner royalties.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
so Sony will have to pay royalties for every BluRay they sell?

Raccoon

Enlightened
Companies have to pay royalties. Individuals do not.

Does that mean we can create a kit of our own using readily available optics, for much cheaper?

Vikz

Newly Enlightened
once blue ray begins manufacturing it will slowly lower, do u remember when cd recorders came out? they use to be around £200 then lowered under £40, plus the disks were about £2-5 now there less than 50p!

LaserMod

Enlightened
Well I very much intend to take my blu-ray apart for the laser. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Although I could not use it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway the blu-ray is 405nm which is very close and would probably appear as more of a purple colour than blue.