"Blue Star" - Aspherical frankenstein light with 630.000 Lux

Vinz

Newly Enlightened
Hi, folks!

The following light, called the "Blue Star", was originally built by overdog. The intention was to build an inexpensive aspherical light with some throw everyone can recreate.

Anyway, I received one of them from a dutch member of the german TLF and decided to mod it a little bit.

Well, here is what came out...

In the "original" state. The head is from one of these 109-LED "shower head"-flashlights, the body is a Ultrafire C2.
Blue-Star-Modded-01_zps95ab2710.jpg

Here are some details of the new custom pill I made:

• hand selected XP-G2 R5-1A on a copper MCPCB without dielectric. Soldered under slight pressure using best Mundorf Silber/Gold solder (contains silver and gold).
  • de-domed the LED and equipped it with an new condenser lens (similar to positive meniscus) with a radiation angle of 70°.
  • new solid heatsink/pill with 7mm aluminium between the MCPCB and the driver. Polished contact surface.
  • self-built circuit with custom modes (1 press - high mode, 3 press - low mode, 4 press - beacon) and voltage control. Optimized for one Panasonic NCR18650PD.
  • LED-MCPCB is glued using a diamond thermal adhesive.
  • Diamond potted electronic.
The new "pill" next to the original one (sorry for the lousy picture).
Blue-Star-Modded-02_zpsdd458a69.jpg

To protect the aspherical Lens and keep it in place, I modified the head and turned a new bezel made of clear Plexiglas. It is painted (matt) on the inside and polished on the outside.
Blue-Star-Modded-03_zps0906e1d3.jpg

Following the beamshots (ISO100-2,5Sec., at full moon).:)
Blue-Star-Modded-05_zps69677ba2.gif

Blue-Star-Modded-04_zps1c16c461.gif

The original one was 250.000 and modded one is 630.000 Lux at 1m, but with the same spot size.

Regards,

Vinz

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok how about this one? will it be for sale soon? if so just shoot me a pm and lets talk about price.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I'm very interested if this is for sale or if you're thinking of doing a run.

lintonindy

Newly Enlightened
Is the overall lack of artifacts in the beam as dramatic as the pictures make it look? Very nice work concentrating that beam behind that aspheric. Bravo!