Boring service for Surefire and other aluminum or titanium lights

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Re: Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

That beauty looks nice, does it have an E1 cousin with it?

_MG_0052EDITED.jpg

The family is done :thumbsup:

(Canon 7D, on camera flash @ f/11, 200mm)

Last edited:

bartko09

Enlightened
Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

Myron - Thank you for your kind words. I didn't see the E-series triple listed on the RTD Vapor website ... do you build those to order? Are they also $99?

(Muttering "Must not buy, must not buy")

[emoji23][emoji23]

I've built a few E series triples, stuffed into a Incan Hex head. I'll tell ya, they're quite the pain in the backside. I use to second guess how some folks here can charge the premium that they get (all the while buying one myself) and then I tried it.....[emoji23]

I have been hoarding e series Incan hex heads specifically to modify but at this point it's one of my builds that I'm not satisfied with enough to actually sell to folks.

I'm sure that when I get my lathe in a few weeks, have learned the ropes and feel comfortable with it I'll start the triple e series quest again.

Actually have an E1L NIB for sale right now. It was supposed to be modified and posted to RTDvapor.com but the poor guy has to be scratched for the lathe fund. (Took ur advice and went for the much larger model [emoji2][emoji322])

The HK USP Tac 45 in my profile pic is on the chopping block also [emoji6]

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic

Just a note, getting caught up on boring & shipping out three lights today - one to Kentucky, another to Georgia (USA) & the last one to the UK. The reason for mentioning this is USPS prices have gone up.

• Shipping to a USA address is now $7 (up from $6)
  • Shipping Priority Mail International is now $34 (up from $26)
  • Shipping International First Class Mail is $24 & usually takes longer to arrive than Priority

I make no money on shipping. Zero, nada, nyet. Whatever USPS charges me is passed on to the customer. I don't anticipate any issues with domestic shipping but International went up 31%. Why? Only USPS knows but here's the official word:

The higher rates represent an effort by the financially troubled Postal Service to get more revenues out of its fastest growing mail segment — shipping services.

Both of its major parcel competitors, FedEx Corp. and United Parcel Service Inc., have publicly warned the USPS that it could risk pricing itself out of some parcel markets, such as lightweight packages, with these proposed sharp increases.

But the USPS attempted to minimize the size of the planned increases by noting that the increases are the first in three years for its commercial Priority Mail products and, if averaged, the increase would be "less than 3.3 percent per year." James Cochrane, chief marketing officer for the USPS, told The Wall Street Journal that the agency needs a price increase on its lightweight residential parcels. With discounts offered big mailers, Cochrane said, the USPS makes only about 1¢ on each lightweight parcel it delivers. "We need to make more than a penny," he told the Journal.

Most of the agency's "core business" is 1- and 2-pound packages, he said.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic

My industrial customer decided to sell the two older press brakes & buy a nice NOS from California. But ... it's 460 volt only, no 230 volt option & that means wiring in a large step up transformer. Hope to be done around the 1st of April & get back to work on lights.

precisionworks

Flashaholic

NOTE: I no longer offer any services for custom lights (Mac's/McGizmo/Sinner/Tnc/Cool Fall/etc.) These lights are best returned to the machinist who made the light.

bartko09

Enlightened

That's unfortunate Barry. For what it's worth I wouldn't allow anyone to modify the metallic portion of my high dollar lights other than you. I hope that whatever unrealistic expectation that brought this on doesn't impact our ability to leverage your services long term.

Keep your head up champ [emoji6]

precisionworks

Flashaholic

This will affect only a handful of people as very few custom light owners want their lights drilled & tapped or bored. For me it's awfully stressful to work on something that costs $600 or more to replace if it can even be replaced. I stopped trit slot milling for the same reason, too much risk & too much tension.

precisionworks

Flashaholic

This is also posted in Mechanical Modding Services:

(Drum roll please) All lights have been machined & returned to their owners.

Teaching machining for the spring semester ended May 13 & I've been working non stop to get caught up. I'd let my shop become a disaster & there were tools scattered everywhere. Not one clean workbench anywhere & the shop is 2100 square foot (195 square meter) ... meaning it took most of a week to do a major clean up & reorganization. I found stuff that had "been lost" for a long time.

My work truck was just as disorganized until the cab was emptied out, the big Knaack 4830 Job Box was cleaned out & everything was put back in order.

It feels like a weight is off my shoulders & I hope to never get so far behind again.

If you send in a light or lights right now the turn around should be not more than two weeks.

precisionworks

Flashaholic

Boring out a Detonator tailcap, essentially the same amount of setup & time as a single cell light.

100A2340.jpg

precisionworks

Flashaholic

Almost fully caught up, one package of five lights that need clips & the bench is clear. Meaning 2-3 week turnaround at this time.

precisionworks

Flashaholic

Yes, I've done a few of them, they are more time-consuming to set up and the price is $62 + $8 return shipping in the USA or $30 international.

Please remove both O rings and all the combat rings before shipping.

Cgw

Newly Enlightened

Are you able to bore an M620V to accept 18650?

HistoryChannel

Enlightened

Are you still offering this service? I️ would like to have my Surefire Fury intellibeam bored. Thanks.