Brand new 18650 batteries with only a 2.45v charge

Big Easy

Newly Enlightened
I bought some new 18650 batteries (Epoch 25P) from 18650batterystore.com. A few of them were below 3v, but one was 2.45v.
When I first put it in my charger (MiBoxer C4) it showed 0% charge, but did eventually charge fully.

Is there anything I should be concerned about, or is this low state of charge normal for new batteries?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would return them. They start to degrade below about 3.2v depending on chemistry exactly. Depending on how long they were at that SOC, they could be fine or at the end of their life

thermal guy

Flashaholic
They legally have to send batteries not fully charge. So they wouldn't be fully charged on arrival. 2.5-3 volts is a little low but doubt there's anything wrong with them. I have ones i have used for years that routinely go down that low with no problem.

eff

Enlightened
In theory, you should not charge li-ion batteries that are that low in voltage, as they could not react well to the charge, and catch fire.
In practice I did charge batteries that were around 3v, and resume their voltage to 3.7v for storage.

If those batteries do hold the charge, you can keep them.
If after a few days you notice they go below 3v again, then send them back and ask for a refund.

Also check for any bubbles forming under the battery plastic wrapper. If you find any, then return it.
for refund

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Somewhat moot point now they're charged up.

If they have really poor runtime, then maybe send off an email to place of purchase.

I had a couple of the very best Keeppower 26650 cells arrive a low (below 2.8V) needing a 'special charge'
Their performance has been the same as others, from that order.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
look at the datasheets for modern cells.
2.45v isnt a real problem.
what it does indicate is a self discharge or qc problem.
they may perform just fine.
as mentioned earlier watch for evidence of self discharge.
i would inquire with the seller.
they may have a bad batch and can test the lot.
might prevent others from receiving bad cells.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Japanese test down to 2.50v and the 'good' Koreans test down to 2.75v, but who knows what the ChiComs test down to?

Chris