Brightest pocketable 1AA EDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The aforementioned Thurnite is also an excellent choice though it is not a thrower in the traditional sense; it uses the brute force of gross lumen output to provide larger throw numbers.

?

It's still about the lux (not lumen). I guess you mean it doesn't throw in the most efficient way if throw is all one is after. It requires more current and a larger diameter to accomplish the same thing (in terms of throw).

N

Napalm

Enlightened
It's still about the lux (not lumen).

The question is are you satisfied with illuminating an area the size of a coaster at a time. If yes, then narrow beam lux uber lumens throwers will work for you.

Nap.

Brasso

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thrunite 1A is the brightest whether on Nimh or Lithium.

R

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some points to ponder:

Candela is a measurement of the brightest point in a beam of light; that means you can have a ridiculously awful beam that has one intense lump in it, and it will still score high. Lux is a more useful real world measurement since it's measuring the total amount of light falling on a given area at a given distance.

Candela and Lux are both units of brightness or luminous intensity.

Candela is one lumen flux per steradian of solid angle.

Lux is one lumen flux per square meter.

Peak Beam Intensity is used to specify the brightest part of the beam, and may be expressed in Cd or Lux.

Unless otherwise specified, lux values are given for a distance of 1 meter from the flashlight lens. Often the lux measurement is taken at a greater distance, then recalulated to get a "lux at 1 meter" value.

If you're set on an AA light, I would second the Jetbeam Jet-I recommendation, particularly running on a 14500 cell, though it will still blow away your Maglite on a NiMH or alkaline.

Actually, it doesn't.

The JetBeam running on 14500 matches, or just slightly exceeds, the Mag XL50 running on alkaline or NiMH.

The JetBeam running on alkaline or NiMH gets stomped by the XL50.

N

Napalm

Enlightened
Unless otherwise specified, lux values are given for a distance of 1 meter from the flashlight lens.

I can definitely see how you can cheat by designing a light that focuses at 1m.

Nap.

P.S. Actually that could be a Good Thing (TM). It would satisfy both ringzero's lust for high lux reading (at 1m) and napalm's one for wide floody beams (at longer distances). So we could finally agree which light is "the best". :buddies:

Last edited:
R

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The question is are you satisfied with illuminating an area the size of a coaster at a time. If yes, then narrow beam lux uber lumens throwers will work for you.

Nap.

Actually, I'd rather get something with higher lux and lower lumens, because it'll have better runtime.

But, if all I can find has both higher lux and higher lumens, then I guess I'll have to learn to live with less runtime.

The first approach is like a sniper rifle, the second more like a blunderbus. ;>

N

Napalm

Enlightened
The first approach is like a sniper rifle, the second more like a blunderbus. ;>

For general purpose nukes have been found to be largely more effective than sniper rifles. :p

AlphaZen

AlphaZen

Enlightened
So, ringzero, have you found any helpful suggestions yet? Do you have a list of contenders? It seems like it has been a bit of a struggle in this thread for people to understand what you are after. Maybe the thread title is a bit misleading, lending to argument over brightness?
Anyway, you want a light that is more pocketable than your Mag, has a tight beam/intense hotspot, a brand name, and good runtimes, right?

I'll stick by my recommendations of the SC50+ and Jet 1 Pro, of which there is one for sale for $40 after shipping in the marketplace right now.

Any other reccomendations matching ringzero's criteria?

R

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, you want a light that is more pocketable than your Mag, has a tight beam/intense hotspot, a brand name, and good runtimes, right?

I'll stick by my recommendations of the SC50+ and Jet 1 Pro, of which there is one for sale for $40 after shipping in the marketplace right now.

Any other reccomendations matching ringzero's criteria?

Thanks for the recommendations, AlphaZen.

So far the JetBeam is a leading contender but there are several other models that have been suggested in this thread that I need to research, when I have more time.

I'm in no hurry and will try to read up on each model that people suggest.

Be happy to get more recommendations for any 1AA super-throwers. ;>

(It'd be a huge help if people would include approx lux or candela numbers for each model they suggest.)

StarHalo

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The JetBeam running on alkaline or NiMH gets stomped by the XL50.

Oh really? And where exactly are you getting these numbers? I'd like to read the comparison where your 3xAAA stair-step regulated Luxeon Rebel behind a plastic focus mechanism beats out a Cree XR-E R2 in an oversized reflector.

G

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nap.

That is what I'm generally trying to do with throw. More spill just provides less contrast to what I'm trying to see with the spot. You can have a much smaller light that can illuminate specifically what you want to identify with an aspheric for instance. If you need to for some reason light up a football field sized area then of course you need a larger light.

The aspheric has a "coaster" sized beam when you are using it too close. It diverges until it's too wide to be useful at that illumination level just like any other light beam.

D

DutyLight

Newly Enlightened
How about the Lumintop 1A?
Smooth reflector and if I recall correctly 14500 capable.

I too am in the market for a pocket thrower.

R

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh really? And where exactly are you getting these numbers? I'd like to read the comparison where your 3xAAA stair-step regulated Luxeon Rebel behind a plastic focus mechanism beats out a Cree XR-E R2 in an oversized reflector.

The figures are from a thread on the JetBeam v3 that Napalm pointed to earlier in this thread. Check Napalm's posts to find the thread, then look about halfway through, maybe page 6 or 7.

14500 did something like 5500 cd.

NiMH was roughly half that or a bit more - well short of XL50's 5200 cd.

XL50 is so bright because Mag knows how to get the most out of a smooth reflector.

XL50 beam has a few rings, but MAN does it throw!

Even on low output setting, 25 lumens, XL50 hotspot is too bright to use up close.

R

robostudent5000

Enlightened
it's too bad that there doesn't seem to be a 1xAA flashlight that has a 20mm OD head that uses a tight TIR optic for throw. it seems like enough people are inquiring about compact, single 1xAA throwers that there would be a market for one. looks like a missed opportunity.

R

robostudent5000

Enlightened
please no more pointless Mag bashing/ Mag pimping. it's pointless.

Edit: wanted to add this:
My XL50 cranks out a bit over 5000 Cd, which is quite good for a fairly compact light. Impressive throw from a fairly compact package.

I'm hoping to find a 1AA light that matches or beats the Mag XL50 in brightness and throw.

the XL50 works on 4.5 volts and uses a 22.5mm reflector. most 1xAA lights work on 1.5 volts and use a 18.5mm reflector. the reflectors on compact 1xAA lights just aren't big enough. and if you make the reflector big enough or deep enough, then it won't be compact anymore. you can't have both. those simple physical constraints are going to make it very unlikely that you'll find a compact 1xAA light that throws as well as the bigger XL50.

Last edited:
DM51

DM51

Super Moderator,
Supporter
Five posts have been deleted.

When two senior members (one of them the OP) derail a thread with their squabbling, it's time for the thread to close. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.