Brightest pocketable 1AA EDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
By pocketable EDC I mean no "turbo" or similar oversized heads.

Dereelight Shorty can achieve over 5000 Cd, but has a bigger head that wouldn't work for me for pocket carry.

I could probably live with a slightly oversized head, say up to 1 inch OD, but that's pushing the limits for pocket carry for me. Certainly no bigger than that.

Given the head size restriction, what's the best brightness available in 1AA production lights?

Anything better than 3600 to 4000 Cd? Please suggest some specific models that are very bright for 1AA format.

(Also, please exclude inexpensive models from various Chinese sites. I know some people have good luck with certain models, but I don't want the hassle of dealing with these sites.)

mrlysle

Enlightened
There are actually several nice lights in 1xAA format that are very bright, and very pocketable. I couldn't possibly think of them all right now, but a few that come to mind: Fenix LD10, Zebralight SC series, Quark mini. Even the Sunwayman V10r can run on 1xAA with it's optional extender. (it normally runs in CR123). There are more models, and more than one model from some of the bigger names. Everyone has there personal favorites, and you'll likely get as many recommendations as there are responses, but believe me when I say there are some REALLY nice lights out there that are bright, pocketable, and run on 1xAA cells. Good luck in your search.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Sunwayman V10r can run on 1xAA with it's optional extender. (it normally runs in CR123).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sunwayman's website doesn't specify brighness in Cd, but from "effective range" they list it looks to be a tad over 3600 Cd if their figures are legit.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Very few of the manufacturers give candella figures anymore. Nowadays, it's "lumens". I'm not sure how to convert one to the other. Some of our more knowledgeable members here maybe can help you with that. :)

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
As always "brightest" means different things to different people. I'll just say that if you are planning on running NiMH cells, the Zebralight SC51 is about the brightest out there. If you want to use Li Ion cells, something with an XML such as the Thrunite 1A probably has the highest output, though it's not the best in the throw department. A Quark AA has a pretty good balance in that it will throw a little better because of the smaller emitter and still puts out quite a few lumens.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
GeoBruin said:
As always "brightest" means different things to different people. I'll just say that if you are planning on running NiMH cells, the Zebralight SC51 is about the brightest out there. If you want to use Li Ion cells, something with an XML such as the Thrunite 1A probably has the highest output, though it's not the best in the throw department. A Quark AA has a pretty good balance in that it will throw a little better because of the smaller emitter and still puts out quite a few lumens.

+1 on the ZebraLight sc51.

Napalm

Enlightened
ringzero, if after all the discussions you're still interested in pure throw, take a look at jetbeam jet I pro v3. if still not satisfied then you may move to the real, pure throwers: lasers.

nap.

flashflood

Enlightened
By pocketable EDC I mean no "turbo" or similar oversized heads.

Dereelight Shorty can achieve over 5000 Cd, but has a bigger head that wouldn't work for me for pocket carry.

I could probably live with a slightly oversized head, say up to 1 inch OD, but that's pushing the limits for pocket carry for me. Certainly no bigger than that.

Given the head size restriction, what's the best brightness available in 1AA production lights?

Anything better than 3600 to 4000 Cd? Please suggest some specific models that are very bright for 1AA format.

(Also, please exclude inexpensive models from various Chinese sites. I know some people have good luck with certain models, but I don't want the hassle of dealing with these sites.)

If you want flat-out brightest, the ThruNite Neutron 1A running 14500 lithium-ion cells (AA size, li-ion chemistry) will give you 450 lumens.

Joe Hone

Newly Enlightened
I went looking for an alternative to the Dereelight C2H/P60 and didn't find one. The Thrunite Neutron AA and Xeno EOS AA are both okay lights, but for me the Dereelight is more robust, feels better in the hand, and the switch is both click on and momentary, with memory, which the Xeno doesn't have. But the difference maker is the Javelin head - it is a true cannon running RCR123 or 14500. But since you don't want that configuration - even without the P60 head I prefer the C2H over the others and gave the Neutron away and the Xeno to my wife. I'm on 65 wooded acres with some open pasture and the C2H is perfect here. Running RCR123 it is very small and compact, but I usually run it with 14500 for the added runtime. Just a bright, capable EDC with the XP-G LED.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very few of the manufacturers give candella figures anymore. Nowadays, it's "lumens". I'm not sure how to convert one to the other. Some of our more knowledgeable members here maybe can help you with that. :)

ANSI specs are becoming more common these days, at least among more reputable makers. ;>

ANSI specs give:

-OTF output in lumens (not emitter lumens)

-Brightness in Cd

-Throw distance in meters ("useful" throw defined as distance to 1/4 lux)

-Runtime in hours and minutes (to 10 percent of intial output)

If a manufacturer can't. or won't, provide me with these very basic numbers, then it'd be hard for me to consider their products.

Lately, I've seen ANSI specs on the packaging of many of the sub-$20 lights in brick and mortar stores.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero, if after all the discussions you're still interested in pure throw, take a look at jetbeam jet I pro v3. if still not satisfied then you may move to the real, pure throwers: lasers.

nap.

Thanks for the suggestion, nap. Yeah, I'm looking for something with white output, not monochromatic output. ;>

Having trouble finding good numbers for the jet I pro v3.

If Jetbeams throw distance figure is to be believed, this light's brightness would be something over 5000 Cd.

Outstanding if true, but I'm a bit skeptical that it's really that bright.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm looking for pure brightness and long throw, so lumens don't really matter.

As a practical matter, most 1AA lights that are very bright will obtain that brightness from a higher output. To achieve high brightness and long throw, the designer has to overcome the disadvantage of a small head by cranking up the total output.

So, forget about lumen outputs and suggest some really bright 1AA lights. ;>

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
As always "brightest" means different things to different people. I'll just say that if you are planning on running NiMH cells, the Zebralight SC51 is about the brightest out there. If you want to use Li Ion cells, something with an XML such as the Thrunite 1Aprobably has the highest output, though it's not the best in the throw department. A Quark AA has a pretty good balance in that it will throw a little better because of the smaller emitter and still puts out quite a few lumens.

What if you want to use energizer lithium AA's? Which model would maximize their potential?

flame2000

Enlightened
Zebralight SC51 probably the brightest on Nimh and lithium L91. For small AA light, running on Li-ion 14500, don't the body gets too hot to handle after just a few mins?

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does AA format include 14500's to you?

Sure, why not? 14500 is always a great option, even if not used regularly.

Besides the 1AA form factor being nice for EDC, the other big advantage is their ability to run so many cell types:

-Alkaline
-Lithium primary
-NiMH

are common, but don't forget:

-NiCd
-Carbon Zinc

The ability of an AA light to "live off the land" can be a big advantage when you're on an outdoor oriented trip.

Most little country stores and gas stations out in middle of nowhere will have alkaline AAs. If they don't stock alkaline AAs, they'll have "Heavy Duty" carbon zinc AAs. ;>

Yeah, there are still a lot of carbon zincs sold all across the USA. I often see people buying carbon zinc AAs and AAAs in the little neighborhood store just down the block. And that's in a small city, not out in the country. ;>

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, why not? 14500 is always a great option, even if not used regularly.

If throw isn't important, how about:
- Spark SL5
- Thrunite Neutron 1A
- Xeno E03 XM-L

These have higher lumen ratings than most (if not all) XP-G lights, even the revered SC51.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're looking for a XR-E (or XR-P) driven at 1A. What light that is ... I don't know:) You're more likely to find a highly driven light from 1 AA in a small body at one of the Chinese sites however I understand that's not your preference.

If the your preference is brightness however you are looking for XR-E or XP-E. Everything else is all about the lumens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.