brightest possible mod?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I thought it took 4x123 to drive the Carley 808's? Anyway, that mod gives less that 300 lumens I believe - not even close to an M6 HOLA, but maybe equal to an M6 LOLA?

2 123's will indeed fit side by side in a Mag D body. I'm considering making a 3D to 5x2x123 holder out of Kydex (only material I have to work with). That'll give 15v with something like 2.4 aH? Anybody know what kind of bulb you could use? Carleys only seem to go up to 12v...

Anything with 123's is, of course, not rechargeable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jon

Elnath

Newly Enlightened
The 808 works fine at 9V (i.e. 3 CR123s). Not overdriven but not yellow, bulb should last longer than at 12v and puts out all the light I need for most tasks.

soloco

Enlightened
My brightest mod is 2 rows of 5 123s in a 3D. This 15V is driving a Philips MasterLine® ES IRC MRC-16 20W Lamp that I adapted to fit the PR base. One site quoted 3000 lumens for this bulb, but I don't know about that. I know it's super bright and smooth.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
3000lums?

that **does** sound nice!

i suppose that is unreflectorized, but still...very high

what is the runtime? can you compare it to a sfm6?

soloco

Enlightened
sfm6? as in Surefire M6?! I WISH I had one of those. Alas, it's a little too pricey for me. I believe it is 3000 total lumens, unreflectorized (that's a real word?). The assembly puts out a 8degree spot that's very usable. I'll try a runtime test tonight and post the results.

soloco

Enlightened
I got just over an hour on 10 (5x2) 123 batteries with the MR16. I don't know how used, maybe 70% remaining. I had to turn it off after half an hour to let it rest, and then start it up again. The entire was very, very hot. With fresh batteries I think the max theoretical with this setup is 100 minutes. $12.50 for 100 minutes of very bright light. It's not bad. I'll refill it and probably not touch it for a while.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ah, didn't catch that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ps, nerd...who said you could post in my thread? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Illuminated

Enlightened
Soloco,

There's a lot of metal in the Mag-D head - you could have deep, narrow-spaced grooves machined to essentially create "cooling fins" for the heat dissipation. It'd look really cool, also. Just a thought...

Now that I think of it - don't the dichroic-coated MR16 reflectors reflect higher color temp wavelengths and pass more of the infrareds? I think that may be contributing to the head heat problem - I don't really know for sure.

John

soloco

Enlightened
Fins? Sounds like fun. I'd have to find a machiner or get a machine. As far as that dichroic coating, according to Philips, it's a coating on the Halogen capsule that keeps the heat in the capsule; thus maintaining peak operating temperature. This is supposed to be provide as much as 40% of an energy savings over comparable MR-16s.

The way that I got the MR-16 with the GU5.3 base to fit in the PR base was really kloogie. Anyone know of or willing to make a drop in PR base that will readily accept GU5.3 based bulbs and lamps?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

Roth said:

ah, didn't catch that

ps, nerd...who said you could post in my thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Who said I couldn't! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I can't help but think this project may be better off using the Surefire M6 lamps which are around $30 each. They should be much easier to shock mount than these MR16 assemblies, and may be more rugged to begin with, since they're intended for tactical use.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
9 volts at 3 amps (for the 500 lumens LA) is a steep requirement for any configuration of batteries in a small factor. 123s will die in minutes if not parallel, AAs won't take 3 amps consistently without significant drop of voltage throughout the entire run time. For A batteries, they are a bit fat.

I think a TL reflector plus a SFM6 500 lumens LA is the ticket. Dump that in a mag 2D and have 2 rows of CR123s... woot! That's a SFM6 for cheap. I'm so clever..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened
hmm hmm... HOLA M6 ... hmmm *thinking about my next project*

even i havent finish this MR16 Mag4D project. (still figure out how to fit MR16 to PR based lamp)
:p :p :p