Brinkman Legend LX

kapncake

Newly Enlightened
I have recently purchased a Legend LX Light and I'm trying to upgrade it as much as possible. I ordered a 32mm glass lens which should help some. I read somewhere there is a superior bulb that throws out more light. Does anyone have any info regarding this bulb? Or where I can get one? If anyone has any other suggestions to improve my Brinkman I would appreciate your input. Thanks, Dave

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Legend LX has a pretty darn good bulb in it as-is. If you want more overall light, but not better throw, you can modify it for a Surefire P61 lamp assembly - here's the link:

http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/mods/legendlx_p60.htm

Do a search on CPF - one of the members can (if they're still doing it) turn down the head on a lathe and make it smaller - but for all the money you would spend to have this done, and to add a P61, you probably would have been better off buying a G2z or something designed for the brighter lamp.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second what Quickbeam says...for $19.99 at WallyWorld, the Legend LX is a BLAZING light. You can mod it to fit a P61 LA if you want to ...but why!? The Legend LX in it's stock form is already brighter than any light running a SF P60 LA, and with the P61 you may have increased your output by almost double (according to the "numbers"...), But you've DECREASED your run-time by a whopping 2/3! The Brinkmann Legend LX is STILL the best bang-for-the-buck light in it's class...while it may not have the "prestige" of the SureFire name, it is incredibly bright, it has an adjustable focus, and replacement bulbs are a FRACTION of the cost of SF LA's with free shipping directly from Brinkmann. Don't get me wrong...I love SF products! My wallet can attest to that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif!!! But sometimes I don't think the Legend LX is given it's due in regards to what you pay versus the performance you get! GREAT deal, IMHO!

PJD

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Yep, the Brinkmann Legend LX has to be one of the best bang for the buck deals going. For $20 bucks you can't go wrong with this light. You can get replacement bulbs direct from Brinkmann. From what has been said around here at CPF, their service is great.

Catapult

Enlightened
Yeah, what a deal! I was lucky enough to find one left at The Sports Authority. I was amazed at its excellent output for only twenty bucks. I too added a B270 lens to it, but after that, I don't see the need to improve it any further, as it was aready a very good light in its stock form.

Catapult

Enlightened
To make it even better, the colored lens filters for the Brinkmann Rebel fits into the Brinkmann Legend LX! It's not a tight fit, but it stays put.

Both lights look so alike, I think they go together. Need lots of light? Pull out the LX. Need only a modest amount of light? Pull out the Rebel.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to think the Surge was the best bang for the buck but now with the advent of Surefire $1.25 batteries, I think it's the LX as it will have a much flatter discharge then alkaline battery based Surge. I know a lot of people use NIMH's in their Surges but you do sacrifice a fair amount of initial brightness by doing so.

Catapult

Enlightened
The B270 lenses for the Brinkmann Legend LX offers better light transition and is more scratch resistant than the stock plastic lens. Just take out the stock lens and drop the replacement in. The only drawback is that the B270 is nearly 50% thicker than the stock lens, so the bezel does not screw all the way down, leaving a gap, and exposing the O-ring a bit. You may drop in the included O-ring, which is wider than the stock O-ring. It should retain water resistancy whether or not you use the included O-ring. The B270 lens does not offer that much of an advantage over the stock lens, IMHO. I like it either with or without the upgraded lens.

You can get the B270 lenses at http://www.flashlightlens.com.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk stopped making LGI shortys out of the legend LX because two CR123's were too much for a 1W LS. I persuaded him to make one for me that I drive with a 68mm long Li-Ion battery. This light is by far my brightest 1W luxeon light easily beating my 2 @ LGI's, 2 @ KL1's, 2 @ ARC Hybrid 500 mA LS's, KL3, and Lambda QH2 Safety Illuminator. The large head size makes this an infrequent pocket carry, but it also seems to protect the LS from a temperature perspective. This is particularly so after I removed the rubber sleeve from the head.

Oh, I like my stock Legend LX as well, but the size of the head puts it behind my e2's, 6P, D2, and Scorpions as a pocket carry.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've been debating on what 2 cell lithium to get my dad. i've been considering the G2, scorpion or one of the new streamlights. since seeing this i'm going to get him the brinkman.

i have some extra sanyos i'll give him since i got in on the cheap sf cells. i'm assuming the spare bulbs are affordable? this way all he has to do is call brinkman.

kapncake

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help. I lucked out and got my LX at the first Walmart I visited, Believe it was $19.99. Yes, I just installed the B270 lens yesterday.....do you find that it improves the beam? Also as the LX is new I used the old o-ring. After reading your thoughts I will replace the old with the new. I would love to try the filters, if you could provide a URL or a hint on where I can find them I would be grateful. I am very satisfied with the light as is but im a tinkerer by nature and always want to improve things if I can. Again Thanks for the info. Dave Halliday

kapncake

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help. I lucked out and got my LX at the first Walmart I visited, Believe it was $19.99. Yes, I just installed the B270 lens yesterday, but left the old gasket in as the LX is new.....do you find that it improves the beam? After reading your comments I will replace the old gasket with the new. I would love to try the filters if you could provide a URL or a hint on where I can find them I would be grateful. I am very satisfied with the light as is but im a tinkerer by nature always trying to improve things. Again Thanks for the info. Dave Halliday

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
The colored snap-on filters come with the Brinkman Rebel LED flashlight ($15 at Walmart) ... red, blue and yellow.

He's saying the included Rebel snap-on filters fit loosely on the Brinkman LX.

My LX never leaves my car. The Rebel resides in the RV. Never thought about trying the Rebel filters on the LX ...

Latest posts