Brown "Burn Spot" on Q5 Cree?!?!

nvfenixt1

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

My Fenix T1 is less than a year old, still on the original batteries, with less than 1 hour total run time on it has just developed a big brown spot on the center of the cree emitter! The flashlight is all stock; I've never done anything to modify it, and have only used the Panisonic batteries that came with it from CFR Lights. Has anyone else had this happen with a comparible Q5 Cree flashlight, or am I just the "lucky one"?

The Fenix website said to contact the dealer for warranty support within a year, so I've put in an email to CFR Lights..... guess we'll see what happens.

Thanks,
Jason

burncree.jpg

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
If you have a camera with a macro (close-up) facility, it would be interesting to see a photo of the emitter...

nvfenixt1

Newly Enlightened
If you have a camera with a macro (close-up) facility, it would be interesting to see a photo of the emitter...

I'll take a pic of it tonight and post tomorrow morning. Thanks!

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same thing with a older Q2 Cree in a Wolf-Eyes dropin. It didn't have extensive use, the emitter just went bad. It happens.

edc3

Enlightened
Same here. I also have an older Wolf Eyes dropin (possibly Q2) with a brown spot.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Q5 with 3 dim spots, basically the centres of the 3 rectangles are dimmer than the edges near the current spreader wires. Is that normal?

nvfenixt1

Newly Enlightened
Well, can't say enough good things about Dan at CFR Lights.... he said to ship it back to him and if they can't get another T1 (discontinued) he'll see about replacing it with a TK10.

I'll post the pic of the emmiter tomorrow so you guys can see this funkiness...

Thanks.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Sounds like the LED phosphor die overheated and cooked. I did this once to an XR-E-R2, running it direct drive off some NiMH AA cells:mecry::candle:

lolzertank

Enlightened
It's most likely burnt from too much current and not enough heatsinking. That's what my P7 looked like when I hooked it up to a dumb RC charger that probably dumped >20A into it.

I'm surprised you didn't mention those pesky chip weevils...

stowaway89

Newly Enlightened
Same to my SF G2L (Nitrolon head). SF mentioned it was because not proper heat sink from Nitrolon material. The light drops to almost small flashlight and blue tint.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Its POCOYO!!!

"Hello Pocoyo!" (in british accent)

OP, yeah your LED overheated and cooked the phosphur. Not much you can do but contact Fenix for an RMA.:mecry:

stowaway89

Newly Enlightened
Its POCOYO!!!

"Hello Pocoyo!" (in british accent)

OP, yeah your LED overheated and cooked the phosphur. Not much you can do but contact Fenix for an RMA.:mecry:

Hi kramer5150
Yep, it is Pocoyo. He is quite and i love to watch his series. It is fun.

Surefire dealer in Thailand replaced me a new P60L when I talked to them my G2L problem. The light is back as it was again.