Browning headlight (luxeon rebel!)?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at local store's catalogue, and saw some interesting lights:

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/lites/detail.asp?value=030H&cat_id=371&type_id=8620

A headlight use 1x 123a, 135 lumen with rebel led, 2 red and 2 blue 5mm led. $42

Or this:

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/lites/detail.asp?value=037H&cat_id=371&type_id=8343

Again, luxeon rebel using 1xAA, 70 lumen, also 1 red 1 green and 1 blue 5mm LED. $38

Wow, looks like somebody is going nuts with rebel LED, seems to be pretty good price too!

Last edited:

TMorita

Enlightened
I was looking at local store's catalogue, and saw some interesting lights:

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/lites/detail.asp?value=030H&cat_id=371&type_id=8620

A headlight use 1x 123a, 135 lumen with rebel led, 2 red and 2 blue 5mm led. $42

Or this:

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/lites/detail.asp?value=037H&cat_id=371&type_id=8343

Again, luxeon rebel using 1xAA, 70 lumen, also 1 red 1 green and 1 blue 5mm LED. $38

Wow, looks like somebody is going nuts with rebel LED, seems to be pretty good price too!

The 2nd one is almost identical to the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme headlamp selling at Wal-mart for $20. There's already a long thread about that here. The only difference is the rebel (lux) and the 1 red 1 green 1 blue 5mm LED (2 red, 1 blue).

Toshi

Germ

Enlightened
That is interesting. Good to see companies using good led's. I'm assuming the big aluminum ring is a heatsink on the Nitro which seems like a good idea. I like that it takes one CR123 battery too. I'd love to see a review. Too bad it doesn't have a diffusing lens though. Thanks for letting us know.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I called browning customer service to ask about. First question is if it was direct/resistor driven or regulated, well she asked around, and pretty much everyone is :confused::confused::confused: WTF are you talking about? So I said thank you for your time and hung up.

MorePower

Enlightened
Well I called browning customer service to ask about. First question is if it was direct/resistor driven or regulated, well she asked around, and pretty much everyone is :confused::confused::confused: WTF are you talking about? So I said thank you for your time and hung up.

Neither one of these lights will be direct/resistor driven.

For either of these lights, there needs to be some sort of electronics to get the Rebel to run properly. Resistors only work to limit current and voltage if your input voltage is higher than the forward voltage of the LED.

A single CR123 (non-rechargeable) may get some output from a white LED, but there's no way you'd get anything from a single AA cell without a voltage boost circuit.

Germ

Enlightened

That answer isn't surprising.

dw51

Enlightened
The 2nd one is almost identical to the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme headlamp selling at Wal-mart for $20. There's already a long thread about that here. The only difference is the rebel (lux) and the 1 red 1 green 1 blue 5mm LED (2 red, 1 blue).

Does anyone know if the Rayovac light uses a Rebel or not? After seeing the Browning light it makes me wonder. :shrug:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something else, from what the customer service rep told me neither headlight has brightness control for main led, so it's burning fulltime. I think I'm gona pass since I've been spoiled by multilevel lights, and having 130 lumen fulltime is really overkill.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they both use same bin of rebel? Is the runtime of 70 lumen double the 130 lumen? And at what milliamp hour recharable battery?

I don't see runtime of the 70 lumen.

No settings on main is stupid, unless they were getting 16+ hours or more. But under 3 hours, get serious.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 70 lumen use AA not 123a so runtime is not comparable between two lights. I was gona ask bins and current etc. but since I already lost them on regulation question I didn't bother.

When leatherman skeletool comes out I'll go into the store to check them out, if I find out anymore info I'll update.

Still, rebel used in mass produced lights that's sold in network of B&M stores, even a 210 lumen 2x123a flashlight, that's pretty impressive, and really pushing the mass market to where cutting edge is.

Last edited:

whippoorwill

Enlightened
It may be the harbinger of a upgraded ROV 1aa headlamp. The smaller one is an exact duplicate, other than the color of the 5mm leds, of the ROV 1aa.

Let's hope so.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
.Phantom 70

Intent:
I paint with headlamps. So my review is with that perspective--: color, wall texture, ease of pick out skips and roughness. I've no patience for beam shot taking or uploading. Also, I ordered this light with intent of modifying (probably by melting or drilling into neck to make posts to connect to positive and negative, adding a middle strap and 3 AA on rear of light) with bigger battery pack. (any suggestions for this task are appreciated)

Purchase:
It seems most people are waiting for the 130 lumen Rebel Nitro as it is very backordered. Probably a good move, if they use a higher bin and keep it down to 1 watt and 130 lumens. If true, the nitro will be a huge jump from this light.
I am a skeptic so I ordered this light direct from Browning $43 + $15 second day shipping, on Monday; arrived on Wed 5pm.

First Impressions:
I was sick when I opened the box and it said 70 lumens at 1 hour. The sales person told some high number over phone which I ignored, but I was expecting at least 2 hours, hoping for 5 hours.

I fired up and on first glance a little disappointed it didn't have the huge hot spot of my 65 lumen Lux 3, neither the blazing throw/brightness of the 1.5 watt Cree Energizer 2AA Hard-case, but rather more in class of the 1 watt Brinkman/Garrity. Comparring to the one watt's it is yellow and not at first glance noticeably brighter, until you start shining at various things. The yellow throws you off, based on the eye bias against yellow lights. After much testing against the 1 watt lights it seemingly has same size hotspot, much yellower, much better color rendering, ringy, better textural rendering with ability to see roller stipple more easily, visibly %30 brighter at first impression, but behind white paper I can see nearly twice as bright. However farther away the hotspot seems a tad bigger than the 1 watt lights.

Specs:
3 hour runtime (one Duracell 2650 AA) with no noticeable drop in light until last 15 minutes--markedly better than reported Rayovac lights. Pocket small, very light. Diffuser, green, blue, red lights. A odd dip in center of lens which leaves a pin prick of darkness in center of hotspot. Seems well built and sturdy. Seems water/splash proof--no intent to test this myself. Reflector ringy with iffy halo compared with my 1 watt lights. Yellowish light with good color/skip rendering.

Compared to other lights:
Against my Brinkman or Garrity 1 watt LUX I's: seemingly same size hotspot, much yellower, much better color rendering, ringy, better textural rendering with ability to see roller stipple more easily, visibly %30 brighter at first impression, but behind white paper I can see nearly twice as bright. The yellow throws off perception since most yellow lights are dim and underdriven. Worse halo, likely because not a dedicated reflector I think for a painter, this is a marked improvement over a 1 watt.
Against my 3 watt Dorcy: same color rendering, farther throw, 3x smaller hotspot, far better efficiency, way yellower. I run the Dorcy at 2 watts, while this light at 1 watt. If a real light in my opinion gets 10 hours and 12 watt-hr is max a AA pack might typically get, I think 1 to 1.5 watts is max any flashlight or lamp should be driven.
Against my 1.5 watt Energizer Cree hardcase: better color rendering, not nearly the throw, slightly larger hotspot, way yellower. Probably same efficiency, except optic not nearly as dedicated.

Conclusion:
70 lumens at one watt, inferior optics (but not horrid) with ringyness not so great throw or halo, best boost controller I've seen 3 hr 5 minutes on 2650 Duracell AA, flat regulation until last 15 minutes, very small, yellowish but great color/skip rendering, improvement over 1 watt 40 lumen light but not in league with 1.5 watt Cree for throw or apparent brightness. Good build. Improved boost controller.

All in all, a very efficient improvement over a Luxeon 1 or Luxeon 3.

Only cons are: No plug for external 2 or 3 AA pack to extend runtime, at one watt I really would like to see a 100+lumen output, and need for a less ringy optic. Perhaps in future, we could order the lights by cri and temperature of light. Another con is lack of various settings; why litterally spill good lumens onto ground when you don't need all light that is emitted. Another is that this boost controller is battery finicky, where many good rechareables fail to light the lamp, while can drive an unregulated lamp for hours. My goal in life is to try a buck controller. I would also like to see a small band of aluminum on rear of head to assure me they are trying to heat sink the led.

Last edited:

MorePower

Enlightened
Specs:
3 hour runtime (one Duracell 2650 AA) with no noticeable drop in light until last 15 minutes--markedly better than reported Rayovac lights.

Conclusion:
70 lumens at one watt, inferior optics (but not horrid) with ringyness not so great throw or halo, best boost controller I've seen 3 hr 5 minutes on 2650 Duracell AA, flat regulation until last 15 minutes (...) Improved boost controller.

I'm virtually certain that the boost circuit is the same as the Rayovac. See this post, https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2240817&postcount=46, where a 2200mAh NiMH cell ran for 2h 45m. That's the equivalent of a 2650mAh cell running for about 3h 15m.

Also, the flat regulation you're seeing comes mostly from the fact that NiMH cells have a fairly flat discharge curve. The circuit does a good job with alkalines as well, but not as flat as a totally regulated circuit would be. See my alkaline discharge graph here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2225322&postcount=49

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like how finicky this is with batteries, and would like it to be brighter.

Anyone tried to overdrive this light yet with a higher voltage?

I am thinking moding a 4 AA pack 2.4 volts with two AA's doubled, rather than 3.6 volts. I probably would add a pot.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is it switched among the LED's? Just one switch to cycle through them or have seperate control for 5mm's?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just clicks through the cycle with one button. Personally, being able to run the green with the white is an advantage to help see texture better--provided the green only takes a tad of energy. (with the energizer hard case cree, running red or green alongside white, cuts runtime down by a third or more, which isn't acceptable considering modest gain.)

Last edited: