Browning headlight (luxeon rebel!)?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is another Browning 1AA headlamp White Luxeon bulb only. But it looks like it might be able to be taken apart to mod. Only high and strobe :(

If it had 3 Levels and a modern emitter it would be a real winner. If its modable I'll take one anyway.
rw19go.jpg

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
With what parts would you modify this?

I am curious how to modify via remote ordering and choosing a reflector. Tutorial on how to do this?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
With what parts would you modify this?
I've never seen the light in person so don't know if its possible. If you can get access I would replace the optic with a reflector and replace the stock Luxeon emitter with a SSC P4. Double the brightness same runtime.

There is a whole sections for mods. One of my favs is to the PT Apex:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/188163

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got done with Browning Phantom 70 mod of its power source.

I tried two cell in series with and without variable pot, didn't work. It has some voltage protection, that protects the led and circuit.

I took solder iron and started each hole by neck, then screwed in a half inch positive and negative screw to touch back side of metal that run current into head. Clipped a one AA holder (not in mood to mod up the 2 AA for parallel tonight) in back soldered to alligator ends to wires that clip on to my screws.

I got to say, I can feel no comfort difference at all, with this 2 AA conversion. It is still far more comfortable than the 3 AAA in head, and lighter than any 3 AA in rear.

On possible down side: One would need a removeable pack to keep the pocketable aspect. If it rained, I guess you'd take out second battery and cover screws. Were I using light outside in rain regularly, I would permanently attach wires and cover with hotglue and silicon caulk anything exposed.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
One down side I forgot to mention of the Browning Phantom 70 (sportsman extreme by rayovac) design is that the battery cap is plastic, and threading back on is very difficult without cross threading the plastic threads. This light will not work if cap isn't back on all the way. Furthermore, the finger niches are very shallow making screwing it on very hard.

This is very bad on a light most user may need to feed 3 to 6 times on a full work day/night (finicky on batteries that aren't too buff.) 5 minutes times 6 changes, plus enticing people to do smoke breaks = up to 2 hours a day feeding this thing for a smoker or milker, when boss not around. Not that I am biased against smokers; I just wish they put something toxic in those things to discourage use.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the order of light come on when you cycle the switch? Is main led and colored led controled by the same switch or seperate?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the order of light come on when you cycle the switch? Is main led and colored led controled by the same switch or seperate?

Several things to report about the Browning phantom 70 [I need to check again when the Nitro, cr123 rebel, will be available:

The order is White-red-green-blue- off. I taped a tiny bit of paper over diffuser over only the blue led, which is best led to use that won't go through eye lids of a sleeping person.
On battery dead, I have seen it go automatically into green led mode--a really cool feature to not leave you in the dark. But, this doesn't always work and may even be a fluke.

My modification warning! You MUST have a very well insulated battery in lamp to use my power modification (two screws in neck to touch + & -, then put a 1 or 2 AA battery pack (with alligator clip to screws) in rear--possibly on a removable center Velcro strap to keep pillow reading comfortable and maintain its pocketability.) One tiny rip in battery vinyl can cause the external pack to short and cause a fire! If I could take it apart, I would insulate positive terminal to only touch battery on end of tip and not on negative side of battery. Also, only down side is this modification does make the battery fit more snuggly in head of light, forcing me to carry a pocket knife to get it out, or create a small tab of tape attached to cell to grab for removal, or both.
So far, I seem to get a tad over 3 hours on first battery, and a tad of 2 hours for each battery I add. Yesterday I got about 7 hours on 1 AA in head plus two in rear (all 2650 mah). About 5 hours of light using one in rear and one in head. Still, this is lightest, most balanced, high powered head lamp, even with adding 2 cells in rear pack. Its a versatile and handy with a removable center strap with cell pack. Actually so light, still, you don't need a center strap, and can mount a permanent pack on rear, routing wires around sides.

I read some of the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme lights have floppy hinges, making the lamp not fit for jogging. This is by far from the case for this Browing incarnation of this light.

Last edited: