Brushed speed cotroller to run LED

Newly Enlightened
Just mucking around with a 66mm aspheric lens and an xr e(???).

Has anyone ever tried to drive an led with a model/rc brushed or brushless speed controller.

These devices are programmable now so battery parameters, voltage outputs (Hi and low), low li-po cut offs can all be set even without access to rc gear.

Variable power would be handy.

Any feedback appreciated.

Newly Enlightened
You laugh now........ but soon my lights will rule the word!!!!!!!! AH AHA AH AH AHA HAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

I will dig out a brushed controller and and give it a go.

I went brushless a few years ago but may still have one.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Yep ...... and when they do ....... I'll buy some !

Just remember ... Edison was outdone by Tesla ..... in the long run !

~

Newly Enlightened
Not sure. So long since I used a brushed motor controller I forgot they had a hall(???) sensor. I received an
xml t6 today but forgot to get the thermal paste, so I might get that and proceed.

I would use a servo tester to send signals to a speedy.

While i am here I hooked up my XRE Q5 (think that's what it is) and passed it through a
66mm 2degree aspheric glass lens but want more throw. Anyone know of a secondary optic to get the beam even tighter and more spot and direct some of the wasted light forward. The aspheric is a 2 - 90 degree lens.

Just ran the XML T6 through the aspheric 66mm lens.
XML T6 Good sharp focused led square shape(1.2m x 1.2m @ 25m) about 4 times larger than XRE Q5.
XRE Q5 clear focused led square shape being projected (600mm x 600mm wide @25meters)
XML T6 much brighter than the XRE Q5 even with the bigger spot.

XML T6 got too hot to touch (on my tongue anyway!!) after about 20 seconds of run time. No heat sink yet. Will mount all this onto copper pipe.

I terms of the brushed motor controller I was thinking of a hunting light to prolong battery life.

Any experience welcome.

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
Just a thought.
Having a variable light output sure would beat the heck out of having all them modes.

Any thoughts on primary lens?

Thanks

SemiMan

Banned
Depending on the controller it may assume the inductance of the motor in the control scheme (often pwm). No inductance with led.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
Assuming it might work (and it sounds like it wont) it wouldn't be constant power either as the speed controllers are proportional, that is to say as battery power drains the throttle at the higher end of the power range becomes increasingly unavailable. In the end you may have access to less than a third of the throttle before power cuts.

help.gif
Any Thoughts on the primary lens to tighten the XML T6 beam .
It could also be a reflector. I am already passing it through a 66mm 2 degree aspheric but want it tighter with more throw. (Insert maniacal laugh here)

Thanks

SemiMan

Banned
Not going to happen. Only way is a much bigger lens.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Newly Enlightened
I want it for a hunting light on a rifle scope so a larger aspheric is not really a good option. At the moment I have what I think is great intensity and throw in a small package.

But out of interest will a larger lens gather more light and tighten the beam. What about a lens from an old computer projector with my aspheric as the last lens instead of the large one found on the projector which spreads the beam rather wide.

Or maybe straight through the 4 inch lens off an old computer projector as I have a suitable donor.

Also a lot of light is being wasted going sideways (especially since the "flashlight" at the moment is all string and wires with no casings or body yet).

When I do mount it in the case will an internally reflective surface get more light forward.

It sounds silly but to not lose my night vision at the moment the whole lot is held over my head away from my eyes as the sideways spill was dazzling my eyes. The throw intensity is great but I am wondering if it is only because I have not seen an XML T6 through a 66mm aspheric before.

Any thoughts welcome

Thanks

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love this idea, but I think there is a problem here. A LED needs a current controlled power source that can regulate the current through a very small voltage range once you overcome the voltage drop across the LED and it begins to produce light.

A brushed speed controller is a voltage controlled source so you would likely go from no light to light to cripsy fried LED quite quickly.

Newly Enlightened
Ok. No speed controller. That was a bit different to how I thought they worked.

Also how bright would the XML T6 be considered to be through the 66mm aspheric. I would think its quite bright but all I've got is a few DX flashlights.

It is a lot brighter than my DX smallsun ZY C37 Cree Q3-WC and the DX Aurora WF-600-HAIII 2mode Cree Q5 18650.SKU 8537

Not by a little, a lot. And with a larger spot. Would this be considered to be quite bright?? Or am I just easily impressed?

Thanks

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
Time for a bump. Anyone...
How much can I overdrive an XML T6. I'm direct driving it at 4.2. Is it OK to direct drive, and direct drive it even higher??

Thanks to all for the help so far.