Bubbling NiMh clear liquid venting

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was experimenting with a higher amp application (around 6.2A) and after a short while could hear some hissing and crackling.

I narrowed it down to one of the batts and there was a clear liquid kinda bubbling from the top. Looks like venting of some sort. All the batts were Supreme Power 2300s AA supposedly able to do 10A. The batts were not hot or anything as they were only run for ard 10 secs.

The batt still registered 1.3v or so as it was recently charged. Is this batt a goner?

If I'm not wrong, NiMh's don't explode or anything but simply fail or die if they are pushed too hard? Just need to know if I'm at risk if I continue to use this batt. Thanks! :D

CLHC

Flashaholic
I'm no battery chemist/engineer and the like, but that can't be good now can it? I'd hate to be the first one in which a NiMh battery "exploded" on. . .

Enjoy!

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, at least I get to pioneer SOMETHING in CPF.. :laughing:

I'm intending not to use it anymore, esp not back in any high amp application, but I just wanted to be more aware of the potential risks.

flashlightguy

Newly Enlightened
:awman: You let out the magic smoke. It's done. Sorry to hear about your killed battery. What were you working on?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, good for 10 amps my foot... haha..
Trying out a high power mag mod :) Not going as well as planned apparently..

rodmeister

Enlightened
When I first charged up a new set of Rayovac 15 minute AA batteries, two of the cells started to pop and crackle from excess heat and oozed a black tarry liquid. I sent the two defective cells back to Rayovac and they sent me four good ones for free.

CLHC

Flashaholic
"Black tarry liquid" and "clear liquid" migrating from said batteries. . .I'm guessing chemical properties vary from manufacture to manufacture and battery to battery? Interesting. Sometimes I think there's a "feel" of oily residue after charging my NiMhs. Don't know—

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey CHC, yeah I feel that too. I wonder if its related.

Maybe it's just some adhesive or something boiled by the high current in my case.

The liquid seems very similar to the solder paste residue that I use. (Some rosin/flux-like liquid).