BUILD Simple Light for my Work Bench

otis311

Newly Enlightened
I had some money to spend on LED stuff so I figured I would make a nice work light with some Nuetral XM-L2. I know this isn't a flashlight per se but it has all of the same inner workings. LEDsupply has these aluminum housings for the LEDs and lenses. That was the foundation of this project.

The aluminum housings have a 1/2" electical thread on the backs. To mount them I grabbed an exterior light box and cover. The cover has three 1/2" thread holes.

Here are the XM-L2 Leds.

The driver I chose was a Buckblock 2,100 mA. I like thses drivers as well as the Buckpucks.

All right so on to the assemmbly. The electrical box has openings on the ses with plugs that utilixed for mounting the power jack and dimmer pot.

Soldered in the driver.

The aluminum housings have a 1/2" electrical trade thread on the backs that mount into the cover plate I bought.

I adhered the LED stars using Arctic Alumina thermal epoxy.

Soldered the LED connections.

Wired it all up.

Test.

For lenses I tried something I hadn't used before. I selected some wide angle Fresnel style lenses. They look cool and seem to work well.

Finally epoxy on the housing covers.

Not bad for a little weekend project. I mounted it to a joist over my work bench. It is plenty bright. Should be about 2,000 lumens. It gets a little hot on max but nothing crazy (125*f , 52*c). I used it while working on my RC cars and it was nice. It takes a lttle getting used to the point source type of light. I casts very sharp shadows. I actually came to prefer it now that I 've used it.

Anyway thanks for looking.

Last edited:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great mod ;). Thumbs up for the cleanliness. Really like those homemade led light-fixtures.

rayman

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice little project. It should not only serve you for many years, but inspire others as well. I had no idea those housings were available. I'm wondering if those would work for...

Just curious, where and how did you measure the temp?

otis311

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.

For the temp measurement I used an infrared gun right on the aluminum housings. All three were very close to the same temp. The whole fixture gets slightly warm to the touch.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most IR guns can't measure bare aluminum well. Try placing a piece of black tape on it and read it again. You might be amazed how different it is!

otis311

Newly Enlightened
Good to know. I'll give that a try. It was difficult to get a good reading.

Latest posts