Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Nice!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Fish 14

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't agree with the gimmick comment.

Lower lumen lights have been used for years in tactical situations, 325 is plenty for most scenarios.

The Malkoff M61 is a good drop in for tactical use with 450 lumens, the human eye doesn't notice much difference between 325 and 450.

I wouldn't knock the HDS until you've tried it.

A lot depends on what scenarios the OP is expecting to encounter on the tactical side.
I'm not knocking HDS I have 2 of them. But 325 is still on the low side for a tactical situation

And yes the scenario plays a huge factor, you are [emoji817] correct on that.

Tactical might mean deferent things to different people,

Last edited:
wicky998

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hds is an edc light IMO to many configs to figure out when in a tactical situation.

For me I want one mode , high only with one single click that’s it .

Pretty much a Malkoff [emoji1]

Fish 14

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hds is an edc light IMO to many configs to figure out when in a tactical situation.

For me I want one mode , high only with one single click that’s it .

Pretty much a Malkoff [emoji1]
See, you understand. But those with little or no training don't really understand how to use a flashlight in a tactical situation.

Fish 14

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TACTICIAN (still pissed I got rid of it) is basically the holy Grail of tactical lights. Good hot spot with a bunch of spill. Good lux, and lumens.

wicky998

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TACTICIAN (still pissed I got rid of it) is basically the holy Grail of tactical lights. Good hot spot with a bunch of spill. Good lux, and lumens.

The tactician is definitely a room lighter, completely fills the entire room with useful light

To coincide with my previous post, a forward Clicky or momentary switch is preferred

Last edited:
Fish 14

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup momentary is preferred. The gas pedal switch from surefire or a MALKOFF high/low ring is also necessary

S

Sos24

Enlightened
I would say that I am a little confused by the “tac/edc”. Are you looking for just a tactical light that you would edc? Or are you looking for a tactical light that could also meet other edc flashlight requirements?

If it is the purely tactical then something like the Malkoff Bodyguard or MD2, or Surefire D2 Defender. I would want a 4-5” light that always comes on at high with momentary switch and crenellated bezel. I would also want it to have a low setting for when I need to see but don’t want blinding bright light.

If it is suppose to a tactical that also serves more general edc functions, then it would be an HDS tactical with the 325 or 225. Leave the light in your pocket in the tactical high or strobe setting when in pocket. If you know you prefer the strobe or just high then can customize so one half is preference with momentary. But still have the other half of rotary for lower levels of brightness levels for the more general edc needs. If hiCri color rendering is important for the edc types of needs then go for the 225. If color rendering is important but hiCri isn’t essential the 325nlt is an option.

Fish 14

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you Cats remember when 60 Lm. lights were considered tactical? Things changed fast with lumens.
Yup, surefire/laser products were considered cutting edge.

flashlight nut

flashlight nut

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
V50ODR5.jpg

For me, this is this ultimate off-duty edc/tactical light. A surefire body with a 2 stage momentary only tailcap and a malkoff E2 hyper throw head. Also, primary batteries are a must for me because of a long taper in brightness and no protection circuit to fail.

Fish 14

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
∆∆∆∆∆ very nice setup

ike1985

ike1985

Enlightened
V50ODR5.jpg

For me, this is this ultimate off-duty edc/tactical light. A surefire body with a 2 stage momentary only tailcap and a malkoff E2 hyper throw head. Also, primary batteries are a must for me because of a long taper in brightness and no protection circuit to fail.

Any idea what sort of kcd hour getting? Have you measured?

pilo7448

pilo7448

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I just received this beauty today from CRX.. Its my perfect edc/tactical! Perfect UI (imo) great tint and Lumen output, dbl click to Turbo and momentary, built like a tank with great knurling.
a11ceeee5095e230832be0855ae3f9ab.jpg
bd46969e182eb8cb4a808eb75964a826.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

scout24

scout24

Staff member
What's funny though, human eyes haven't changed at all... 🤔 :)

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Thank you scout. I was reading above posts and just shaking my head. Mmm mmm mmm. So much misunderstanding about what constitutes a tactical flashlight. It does not, I repeat it does not have to light up an entire Wal Mart parking lot. It only has to surprise the retinas of a would be perp. Too much light in a confined area will self blind. What used to be called a pencil beam is best. A simple on/off is best. Strobe is good for getting attention and that's about all. Think of it as an SOS only.

- You want as much light forward as possible with a gap between you and your light. That way spill from your light does not light your torsoe.
- Candella is a term used by manufacturers to differenciate between spot or flood. Higher candela per lumen rating means more throw. Manufacturers show candella rating more often than lux.
- A 200 lumen flashlight is very potent if it aims the beam correctly. The once mighty 60 lumen incan beam is just as potent as it was in 1989 if used correctly.
- Clickies are prone to failure. Twisties are not. A failing clicky is no good when it really counts.
- Millions of law enforcement personnel carry Streamlight equipment. Stingers, Strions, ProTacs and Scorpions for hand held and there are way more Streamlights mounted to pistols than other brands.
- It does not matter what country it was made in. It matters what is was made out of. Lots of brands lights don't hold up because they were poorly manufactured out of non durable parts.
- It does not have to be black to be used for tactical purposes. Gray, green, whatever. But it should be as dark as practical but more important as dull as possible to avoid detection in low light.

These days in tactical situations night vision gear is used. Not everybody is equipped with that, but a true tactical light is one that compliments night vision gear so it cannot be detected by those not wearing night vision gear.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Damn, that is awesome. I would definitely carry that.

The modlite PLHV2 handheld does a nice job for this role. At least that’s what I ended up on. The new malkoff heads would probably do great as well.

Though I see now the Vinh will make a p60 drop-in with the same W2.1 led which you could set to high only and would achieve the same results, he will also pot the electronics if you want. Bore the body for 18650 and add a mcclicky kit from oveready.

390-C6-A31-7-D81-4-C00-B302-BAE792-E5264-B.jpg

Last edited:
Fish 14

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you scout. I was reading above posts and just shaking my head. Mmm mmm mmm. So much misunderstanding about what constitutes a tactical flashlight. It does not, I repeat it does not have to light up an entire Wal Mart parking lot. It only has to surprise the retinas of a would be perp. Too much light in a confined area will self blind. What used to be called a pencil beam is best. A simple on/off is best. Strobe is good for getting attention and that's about all. Think of it as an SOS only.

- You want as much light forward as possible with a gap between you and your light. That way spill from your light does not light your torsoe.
- Candella is a term used by manufacturers to differenciate between spot or flood. Higher candela per lumen rating means more throw. Manufacturers show candella rating more often than lux.
- A 200 lumen flashlight is very potent if it aims the beam correctly. The once mighty 60 lumen incan beam is just as potent as it was in 1989 if used correctly.
- Clickies are prone to failure. Twisties are not. A failing clicky is no good when it really counts.
- Millions of law enforcement personnel carry Streamlight equipment. Stingers, Strions, ProTacs and Scorpions for hand held and there are way more Streamlights mounted to pistols than other brands.
- It does not matter what country it was made in. It matters what is was made out of. Lots of brands lights don't hold up because they were poorly manufactured out of non durable parts.
- It does not have to be black to be used for tactical purposes. Gray, green, whatever. But it should be as dark as practical but more important as dull as possible to avoid detection in low light.

These days in tactical situations night vision gear is used. Not everybody is equipped with that, but a true tactical light is one that compliments night vision gear so it cannot be detected by those not wearing night vision gear.
,∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ the above quoted post shows the response of someone who has zero training.
Soo many things incorrect with this. It's easy to tell who has training and who doesn't. Your statement reflects a total lack of training. Stream lights are garbage that's a fact. Not one will make it through a tactical class. Leo use streamlight because most of them are under trained and takes the cheapest light the state will offer them. County of origin is important, I wouldn't trust my life t to some crap Chinese made streamlight. For general lighting use they are ok.

Last edited:
B

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to tell you but a lot of tactical classes are also garbage. What did you do in a class that killed the same flashlight that my brother in law has carried for 15 years. Same stream light since he became a cop.