Build your perfect tac/EDC light

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to tell you but a lot of tactical classes are also garbage. What did you do in a class that killed the same flashlight that my brother in law has carried for 15 years. Same stream light since he became a cop.
Until you've gone to a reputable class your opinion is invalid. I'm smart enough that when 5 streamligts fail during every class that's a good assessment that they are unfit for the role. The concussion of the gun being fired renders every Chinese made light unusable.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's funny though, human eyes haven't changed at all... 樂 :)

Agree, but ambient light (at night) seems to be steadily increasing. In my neighborhood at night, a flashlight is almost unnecessary for most tasks. I'm wondering whether 60 lumens would be good enough to see into a parked car from a safe distance away because my eyes never get dark adapted.

Perhaps there is a correlation between ambient light in an environment and the lumens/lux requirement for mil/leo usage.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until you've gone to a reputable class your opinion is invalid. I'm smart enough that when 5 streamligts fail during every class that's a good assessment that they are unfit for the role. The concussion of the gun being fired renders every Chinese made light unusable.

Alrighty Jonny 5-0

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
What did you do in a class that killed the same flashlight that my brother in law has carried for 15 years. Same stream light since he became a cop.

Probably round type and count. 800-1500 rounds 5.56 and 7.62 over a couple days. A lot of recoil occurring in a small amount of time. A Vickers Tactical AR course doesn't seem representative of normal LEO work.

Meaning the idea that a streamlight won't survive a modern tactical course AND ALSO be good enough for LEO can BOTH be true.

I think Fish makes some good points though.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably round type and count. 800-1500 rounds 5.56 and 7.62 over a couple days. A Vickers Tactical AR course doesn't seem representative of normal LEO work.

Meaning the idea that a streamlight won't survive a modern tactical course AND ALSO be good enough for LEO can be true.

Exactly, and that is what I was going to say when he said he shot so and so rounds during so and so days.

Since all of the weapons training I've had is invalid I think I'll just leave this thread alone.

Last edited:

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably round type and count. 800-1500 rounds 5.56 and 7.62 over a couple days. A Vickers Tactical AR course doesn't seem representative of normal LEO work.

Meaning the idea that a streamlight won't survive a modern tactical course AND ALSO be good enough for LEO can BOTH be true.
Vickers
Sage dynamics
Tact resp
Thunder ranch

Streamligts always fail to make it past the first hundred rounds. That's not a made up statement, I've seen it time and time again. You can normally tell who has never been to a class before by the type of light they bring. And those are streamlight, and when asked about prior tanning the answer is always zero.
Streamligts are junk, don't CARRY one if you trusting your life to it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
,∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ the above quoted post shows the response of someone who has zero training.
Soo many things incorrect with this. It's easy to tell who has training and who doesn't. Your statement reflects a total lack of training. Stream lights are garbage that's a fact. Not one will make it through a tactical class. Leo use streamlight because most of them are under trained and takes the cheapest light the state will offer them. County of origin is important, I wouldn't trust my life t to some crap Chinese made streamlight. For general lighting use they are ok.

Check out the big brain on brehhhht!
Making friends in this thread too I see.

Yup, I have zero training, zero experience and zero know how since I did not participate in the Acme school of low light training.

Dude, not all tacti…… eh, never mind. I'm out too.

flashlight nut

Enlightened
Well this deteriorated quickly. As an instructor I am always seeking knowledge, mainly from people who know more than me and are better than me. The more I learned I came to a realization. Some so called experts are not and some with less training have amazing insight and have something to offer worth learning. The worst instructors I've had would say their way is the only way and all else is crap. The best instructors would present a problem and then give everyone time to create a solution and present it to the rest. It turns out there are many ways to unf**k a situation. The worst thing is to make others believe they have nothing worthy to offer or contribute. How many times have you thought you figured it out only to learn something that causes you to reevaluate everything.Let us be respectful to each other and chill.

pilo7448

Enlightened
I'm new to CPF but until this thread everyone on cpf has been very courteous and respectful..smh

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread should be locked, before it goes even deeper off the rails.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once you take a class all your questions will be answered. That's why I take this seriously, I've invested a bunch of time and money into figuring out what works and what doesn't.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think in some way the thread went off of topic ... slightly .

It was started just to "theoretically" build "your" perfect tactical light .

To help op get a general idea of what HE would need

So in theory he would consolidate all of the ideas, recommendations , information etc and put it all into one light .

In the end , it is his light, yes?