Build your perfect tac/EDC light

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also

To the OP , you desired "ultimate edc/tactical light" doesn't seem to far fetched , have you tried contacting Vihn? I'm sure if you had the hardware ie the host , I'm sure he could/would do it. He's a pretty cool cat [emoji41]

Last edited:

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly, at the end of the day carry whatever you want. But I know one thing, streamlight will never be in my pocket or on my rifle.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well this deteriorated quickly. As an instructor I am always seeking knowledge, mainly from people who know more than me and are better than me. The more I learned I came to a realization. Some so called experts are not and some with less training have amazing insight and have something to offer worth learning. The worst instructors I've had would say their way is the only way and all else is crap. The best instructors would present a problem and then give everyone time to create a solution and present it to the rest. It turns out there are many ways to unf**k a situation. The worst thing is to make others believe they have nothing worthy to offer or contribute. How many times have you thought you figured it out only to learn something that causes you to reevaluate everything. Let us be respectful to each other and chill.

^ very well said! :twothumbs

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly, at the end of the day carry whatever you want. But I know one thing, streamlight will never be in my pocket or on my rifle.

You quote Thunder Ranch as one of your classes that you have attended that is a proper class yet you trash streamlight. A company that Clint endorses and has products with his name on them. So does that mean that your training is invalid? Im just curious. I'm not stirring the pot either, when people showed up with HIS streamlight did he kick them out the door or what? Was Thunder Ranch not up to snuff compared to your elite training?

Listen, I don't carry streamlights either, I've owned a few, I carry a malkoff 99% of the time.

scout24

Flashaholic
Vickers
Sage dynamics
Tact resp
Thunder ranch

Streamligts always fail to make it past the first hundred rounds. That's not a made up statement, I've seen it time and time again. You can normally tell who has never been to a class before by the type of light they bring. And those are streamlight, and when asked about prior tanning the answer is always zero.
Streamligts are junk, don't CARRY one if you trusting your life to it.

I'll leave the bulk of the discussion to the experts here, but have one comment. Blanket statements like "Streamlights always fail to make it past the first hundred rounds." are the kind of thing that destroy credibility and steer opinion of who said them. I won't go into qualifications or basis for my thinking, but I'm more than comfortable in my current opinion.

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast

Garandthumb talking about rifle mounted lights. Streamlight discussion starts around the 5:40 mark.

TL;DR - He uses a protac on his MK18 and he's never had any problems.

He acknowledges Fish's argument around the 2:50-3:00 mark.

I think this thread came off the rails because there are different definitions (and requirements) for "tactical."

Tactical might mean deferent things to different people,

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it really went off the rails. Fish made one questionable comment but it was still his opinion on a perfect tactical light.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys we made some steps forward and then more steps back [emoji23] let's get it together here

Every post is questionable to anyone .. period

But +1 to burly as like he said it was fishs opinion on a light.

Let's seriously set poop aside and actually help the op ,

Poor guy started a thread to find out some useful information from us guys who's been here awhile that know a thing are two . Not to start a war on who knows what .

We are better than this

Come on cpf [emoji41]

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast

Although currently unavailable for purchase new, PFlexPro makes a very durable light.

Austin Police Department stress testing one in this vid.

I have P60 drop-in and Convoy versions. Love em.

They pop up in the classifieds every so often. Very configurable, high powered, potted, a lot to like. IF you can find one. Hopefully Randy rejoins the community soon.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So the original quest seemed to be what 6P sized flashlight could become the ultimate edc and tactical lighting tool.

Part of the responses were discussing that aspect. Part turned to how quickly one can murder a rifle mounted flashlight.

I responded to the original question without reccomending anything in particular.
I will respond to the second then I'm out.
Once upon a time a young engineer answered a want ad for a small light maker who had devised a small flashlight using camera flash batteries. Once hired that engineer changed the flashlight world from big old D sized lights to compact lights with superior durability. Even with light bulbs. They became widely used by law enforcement and military personnel. Some still are being used.

That engineer parted ways with the company years later and started his own outfit.
His initial weapon light took about a year to design and 18 months to test. It had input from combat vets, rifle designers and many experts in military application world. I have 2 of the prototypes that received over 100,000 rounds shot from a rifle also being tested at the time. They were produced in China. Some members here own one. There are low light trainers, special ops folks, border patrol agents and others who put their lives on the line who depend on them. I know this because they got them from me. Either me personally or the engineer who designed them.

That same engineer has resdesigned 2 of his original rifle lights using updated technology for brightness and durability. Both were 3 years in the making due again to being tested on rifles. Both are made in China. A pistol light has been designed and is now in the testing phase. Again, it is made in China. Not some giant factory, but in a 2 car garage sized facility with the most updated machinery available and assembled by a few Chinese craftsman by hand and 100% quality control checks. Small batches are produced at a time much like the military grade American counterparts.

So again I'll say it does not matter what country they are made of, but what they are made of and how they are produced that matters.

A tactical lighting tool and a weapons mount grade lighting tool are two separate animals. Some tactical lights are capable of making it after being clamped to a rifle or shotgun. Some tactical lighting tools are not meant to be clamped to a rifle or shotgun. But that does not mean they are not good tactical lights. It only means they are not designed and to be used mounted to a rifle or shotgun. Same as a Honda Civic was not designed to be used in a mud bog. It does not make it inadequate at what it was designed for.

Now if the original post was to ask about a superior flashlight to be uses for everyday carry I would reccomend two. An Elzetta Bravo hi/lo and a Malkoff MD2 hi/lo. Perhaps a Malkoff Body Guard for backup because as most know here, a back up is essential.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
So many issues with a number of posts in this thread - which had some modest utility until it became a ******* match.
I'm not going to dig into the weeds on this one, but suffice to say that posts like these:

,∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ the above quoted post shows the response of someone who has zero training.
Soo many things incorrect with this. It's easy to tell who has training and who doesn't. Your statement reflects a total lack of training. [...]
Until you've gone to a reputable class your opinion is invalid. I'm smart enough that when 5 streamligts fail during every class [...]

is why this sort of thing happens:

This thread should be locked, before it goes even deeper off the rails.
What I find ironic is that the you're the one actively crashing this thread, then complain that it went off the rails ??
A cardinal rule at CPF is to attack the post, not the poster; this is what occurs when that happens.

-----

Well this deteriorated quickly. As an instructor I am always seeking knowledge, mainly from people who know more than me and are better than me. The more I learned I came to a realization. Some so called experts are not and some with less training have amazing insight and have something to offer worth learning. The worst instructors I've had would say their way is the only way and all else is crap. The best instructors would present a problem and then give everyone time to create a solution and present it to the rest. It turns out there are many ways to unf**k a situation. The worst thing is to make others believe they have nothing worthy to offer or contribute. How many times have you thought you figured it out only to learn something that causes you to reevaluate everything.Let us be respectful to each other and chill.

And I couldn't have said it better myself - that post is so outstanding that it wouldn't hurt for everyone to re-read it.
My first thought was to emphasize some part of it, but all of it was so pertinent here that I couldn't find a favorite part. :thumbsup:

Everyone, please keep in mind the above; thank you in advance & best regards,

Last edited:

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
You quote Thunder Ranch as one of your classes that you have attended that is a proper class yet you trash streamlight. A company that Clint endorses and has products with his name on them. So does that mean that your training is invalid? Im just curious. I'm not stirring the pot either, when people showed up with HIS streamlight did he kick them out the door or what? Was Thunder Ranch not up to snuff compared to your elite training?

Listen, I don't carry streamlights either, I've owned a few, I carry a malkoff 99% of the time.
Clint also makes it clear in his classes that the lights he carries are throw aways. Often replaced after a certain round count.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll leave the bulk of the discussion to the experts here, but have one comment. Blanket statements like "Streamlights always fail to make it past the first hundred rounds." are the kind of thing that destroy credibility and steer opinion of who said them. I won't go into qualifications or basis for my thinking, but I'm more than comfortable in my current opinion.
Streamligts failing in class isn't my opinion, it is data that I've gathered from over 100 hours of being in the field

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Op I know you've stated a p60 sized light bored for an 18650, is that because you want a changeable module and like an 18650 cell?

If you willing to go smaller and with a different cell , may I recommend the edcl1-t as well.

I've own one in the past but recently sold it to another member . But for edc the low is really great . And for a tactical use the high is 500lms I believe which is PLENTY. And with the gas pedal switch with twist for constant it really is a good edc/tactical light

IMO*

[emoji41]

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight m2r warrior is nice too, I don't have personal experience with it , but my s2r2 is rock solid . And the warrior is tactical oriented

I've seen a few vids on guys testing it in tactical situations . Non weapon mounted just handheld

But if (I) was to build my dream tactical light it would be the e2xt on a sf tacticians frame [emoji1417][emoji1417]

Last edited:

ike1985

Enlightened
I went with the olight warrior x pro modded by vinh with sbt90, polished bezel and modded samsung 40t 21700's. Someone said the Xvn only had 2 modes, it came with instructions; fast clicking tailcap 8 times brings you into the mode selection menu, I wanted mode 12: 100,-90-70-50-30-10-5(something like that) and double click for strobe. The light remembers the last setting so i always keep it set to 100. Ui is exceptional as is build quality. The light has some sort of glowing chemical around the front that turns green when the light comes on. Added bonus it can be used to jab someone in the face if necessary as it has one of those delf defense style rings around the front-the things with the spikes typically although this time they are subtle.

My main qualifications were:

1. Absolutely brutally bright. My friend accidentally shined it in my eye for a second, I had a burn spot in my vision for more than 10 minutes. It eventually went away but I was terrified I might have permanent dsmage. This this is devastatingly bright, if a bad guy takes this thing to the face on 100 with eyes open, hes essentially out of the fight. My most important qualification has been far exceeded, extremely blinding light is my most important qualification in a self defense light.

2. My next requirement was that it must be a tail clicker.

3. My final requirement was that it he pocketable and it is.

This light coming out of this thing will burn your hand in just a few seconds if you put your hand on it with 100.

Highly recommend Xvn to everyone looking for a brutally bright pocketable edc eith self defense aspects to it and a ton of modes to choose from. I really think the way this thing focuses the beam(small intense hot spot, massive throw 135-145ish kcd, 4100-4300 lumen. These are my estimates) really contributes to how blinding it is. All that intensity is focused right into your eyes if you hit someone in the face with it. That being said, it gets very hot very fast which isnt a problem for me, i just want max blinding power and massive throw in a dmall package. Mission accomplished.

Last edited: