Building Maglite - Need some Specialized assistance!

scion

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently in the interest of upgrading my 3D Maglite!

I am searching for the parts to do the Mod, I've found an LED i would like to use, here is the link..

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11809

I would like to know if i need to put a driver or anything on this or can i safely solder it right up to the 3D Maglite?

Also, Where should i purchase a heatsink for this build?

I am also adding an Aspherical Lens to this build because I want some really nice Throw!

Thanks for the help!

Chevy_Lumina

Newly Enlightened
Check out this thread started by StefanFS, it's long but I absorbed enough data, part references, sources, batt configurations, and ideas to build my first P7 Mag Mod. The pics of the drivers are out of date, but if you have some electronic experience, you will figure out the wiring (i did).

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195358

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I read this correctly, that is a 'B' bin P7, which is what, 3 years old? ('A' is least brightness, each letter increases in output) 'D' is available from other CPF members in the market place.

Scion, to determine brightness and run-time of a torch, start with the battery. Battery capacity declines with increased draw (there is less total available if you try to take it out at a higher rate).
There are a number of discharge graphs here on cpf. Alkaline will fall quick at high draw and dissapoint, 'D' nimh will serve you well, not all are equal so check the tests

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was assuming i could use the 3D batteries.... no?

Hmmmm , you would be better served with a XP-G emitter if you wish to run 3 D cells .. Less current draw + higher output with those batteries .
And a lot more driver options .

SSC P7 needs a lot of power .. Mine runs 9xAA rechargeables .

Most folk run AA rechargeables , or 18650 , or D size Li-ion .
Its a balance of voltage and current to maintain output .

Pictured is my 2D Maglite / Xp-G R4 - runs 6xAA
and will run on 2 D cells , but output is much lower .
Still a very impressive light , has a 5 mode driver , and throws really well .
Im sorry to say , but you need to plan the build , starting with the batteries of choice , then the driver you wish to use , then the emitter that will give you the best performance .
This 2D mag went smooth , I knew what I wanted from the start , 6xAA for 9v or less , 2 x AA carriers from KD , 8.4v 5 mode driver , heatsink , + XP-G emitter .
I think the Xp-G is the perfect emitter for mag mods , but most people seem to want SSC P7 .

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an aspherical Mag mod, you will be better off using a Cree XRE emitter
The XRE will give you a much better looking projected beam than a P7

See the photos below, note the photos where taken at different times, on
different settings

P7

DSC00859.jpg

Cree XRE

square.jpg

As for how well a XPG will do with an aspherical lens, I dont know, I have
yet to try it out :D

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For you task, I's stick with a single die LED. The XP-G could work but less light (percentage wise) will hit and get focused by the lens then with a XR-E. The XP-G has a wider emitting angle (to 50%) then the XR-E.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
For you task, I's stick with a single die LED. The XP-G could work but less light (percentage wise) will hit and get focused by the lens then with a XR-E. The XP-G has a wider emitting angle (to 50%) then the XR-E.

????

With a stock mag reflector the Xp-G focuses really tight ...
Im driving mine very gently , around 4.5Watts or there abouts , and the hotspot is tight and doing 19500Lux @ 1 Meter . It throws around 300 Meters .

It was my best thrower until the Spear clone I got this morning , which only equals the mag . [ Both do the same Lux @ 1 meter ]
The spear clone has a hotspot about half the dia of the mag .

XP-G works just fine in a Mag with the original reflector ...

scion

Newly Enlightened
WOW!
I didnt realize the amount of choices that is offered! Holy Smokes!

Well.... I entire goal out of this build is to create a VERY bright (obviously brighter than stock maglite bulb) And with an excellent Throw.

I am going to be using an aspherical Lens to increase Throw.

My original thoughts were to get the KD Aspherical drop-in kit but they are all sold out.

If your suggesting the CREE XRE emitter would be best for the aspherical lens throw, then i believe i should go with that emitter since I'm more interested in Throw rather than flood.

scion

Newly Enlightened
So the Setup would be...

3D Maglite
Aspherical Lens
CREE XRE Emitter
? - Heatsink
? - Battery Supply

Ok so now I need to understand what battery supply i should be running for this setup and what Heatsink will be coupled with this CREE XRE.
I would like to have a good amount of battery life, as well as power.

Where can I purchase the CREE XRE and the Heatsink?

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want a bare emitter, either a Q5 or a R2 (brighter)
DX only has them on stars but you can remove them from the star
by applying heat to the back of it (either with a soldering iron or a hotplate)

As for the heatsink, you can buy them right here in the BST section
Search for threads by H22A, remember, you want the Cree heatsink :)

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking with the aspherical lens. The XP-G will focus better then the XR-E with the stock reflector.

Oooh Ok , Lensed ..

I cant speak for the mag , but I did lens a XP-G in a L2 , and it seems to focus real well ..

Hmmm , might need a MAg Lens , just to see . but I think its all to do with focus , if you get the focus right .

Something else to consider getting a lathe for ...

scion

Newly Enlightened
You want a bare emitter, either a Q5 or a R2 (brighter)
DX only has them on stars but you can remove them from the star
by applying heat to the back of it (either with a soldering iron or a hotplate)

As for the heatsink, you can buy them right here in the BST section
Search for threads by H22A, remember, you want the Cree heatsink :)

Is the Q5 or R2 the same as the XRE you suggested? Or are hose ober options as well?
Once you start throwing out more options you get me twisted up in choices!
In an aspherical lens setp for throw, which of those emitters would you suggest? And where would you suggest buying the bare emitter at the best price?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The XP-G R5 will have more output then the XR-E R2, but if you look at the datasheet, you will see that the XP-G has a wider angle to 50% output then the XR-E, which means more percentage of the light will not hit the lens if you are using a lens. I'm not sure what the actual numbers are though. If you are using a reflector, go with the XP-G. If you are using a lens, then it's up to you.

scion

Newly Enlightened
The XP-G R5 will have more output then the XR-E R2, but if you look at the datasheet, you will see that the XP-G has a wider angle to 50% output then the XR-E, which means more percentage of the light will not hit the lens if you are using a lens. I'm not sure what the actual numbers are though. If you are using a reflector, go with the XP-G. If you are using a lens, then it's up to you.

I was going to use aspherical lens because I want a Thrower mag.
I was assuming I could still fit a reflector in the head along with the heatsink amd lens, no?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can, but the beam won't be as pretty IMO. You'll get an image of the reflector and the die of the LED when using the reflector with the lens. Could be used as spill, but you'll also be able to see any defects on the reflector.

scion

Newly Enlightened
You can, but the beam won't be as pretty IMO. You'll get an image of the reflector and the die of the LED when using the reflector with the lens. Could be used as spill, but you'll also be able to see any defects on the reflector.

im only going for throw, so whatever produces a nice tight beam is what im looking for! so whichever is best gonna serve the purpose for a "spotlight" type of beamshot with the aspherical lens, then thats the emitter I want to go with.

I was going to cut the reflector down so it would fit. Would the reflector work well with an aspherical lens or no?