Bulbs

kb0rrg

Enlightened
Quick survey for the 6v and 9v SF owners:
Do you use the standard bulb or the extra bright bulb? Do you feel that the lost of runtime is worth the increased ouput?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I use the P61 quite a lot. I think the extra light output is really worth the shorter runtime. After 10-15 minutes, I either swap to the P60 or replace the batteries. Having a SC in my bag helps keep my options open.

In general, the high output SureFire lamps are for when you really need as much light as possible for short bursts.

I would buy and use a 30-40Lu lamp with 20 minute runtime for the E1. I could carry both - the high output lamp in the HA, and the standard output lamp in the GM...

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
I'm assuming you mean the 6P and 9P -

For 90+% of the time, I use the standard bulb. When I travel, I take my 6P (lightweight) with the P61 (20 min) bulb - it's for emergencies only - plane fills with smoke and I need to see to get out - hotel fills with smoke, same thing - or I can't find my way at night in a strange place and need to read streetsigns. In those cases, the extra light is worth the BIG decrease in runtime.

I think surefire did a GREAT thing by giving the end user a CHOICE. Very smart move.

Also - the P61 filament, being thicker, is MUCH more robust in the mechanical shock it can take than the P60 -so my travel light is less likely to burn out.

p60.jpg

(note fine wire in P60 filament)
p61.jpg

(note thick wire in P61 filament)

Brock

Flashaholic
I would use the P61 more if it had a tighter beam of light. I like the size of the P60, and basically the P61 get bigger and just a bit brighter. I do use the P61 at work and also swap back to a P60 after 5 minutes or so. It's just fun to see the looks from other people when you pull out a P61 lamp with fresh batteries. I hear a lot of "Hey can I borrow that light for a second?" Mostly it is just to turn it on and off and shine it at someone they know 50 feet away.

Brock