Bummed:( Police mod too hot.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modified a police ican to a LUX III with a nickel and it gets very hot. I guess I see now how well the o-sink and hotlips work. Any ideas on how to remove the emmitter without hosing it up? Pick below.
stuff010small6av.jpg

stuff011small3eg.jpg

stuff012small3cd.jpg

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you use a thermal compound under the nickle and between the nickel and the emitter?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well at least it's funny and got a laugh out of someone. That's worth something, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. I would say I just got overzealous with this one. I would say the cause is the 2 123's powering it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif Like I said, I new better but I was bored. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, it's all over there's nothing to see here, move along. I managed to pop the emmitter off the nickel before it set really well. Whew! This one live to see another day, er, mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Good Night all, I'm going to bed. That's enough excitment for one night.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
If the body of the light got hot, the nickel was doing well. It's supposed to conduct heat to somewhere else so the heat can be dissipated. If the nickel was hot but the body was cold, then it was not conducting the heat well.

A hotlips does a good job of moving the heat to the body of the Maglight. The maglight is so big that you don't always notice the rise in temperature.

Daniel

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Illuminated said:
DD from 2 x 123 with no resistor? Now THAT would generate some heat...

John

[/ QUOTE ]

But probably a bright as hell light too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shane

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gadget_lover,
The nickel was definitley doing it's job as the body would get very warm after about 30 or 45 seconds.

Illuminated,
Yeah it was crazy, DD with no resistor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Hallis,
It was very bright for it's size, but I just had a feeling that it was going to roast itself if used any longer than 2 or 3 minutes.

I have other uses for the emmitter than just another little flashlight so I have dismantled it for now until later. Maybe I will put a less expensive clone with some resistance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried that running 3 watt Lux off 6 volts with no resistor. Bright as hell for a while. LED lasted for about 5 hours. Try putting 1 ohm resistor in. I like the 5 Cent mount- I think I will give it a try- I have some of those Police lights- very inexpensive and fairly well made. I think polishing the nickel so its flat and heatsink compound + resistor should do it.

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
NikolaTesla,
I had to use the 5 cent mount to cover the hole that the bulb went in. I think I would rather go the downboy route if I can get it to fit, if not I will definitly use a resistor. There is not a whole lot a room for extras in the flashlight body.

Latest posts