Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My! (II)

Chauncey Gardiner

Flashaholic
Eh, it was ok. I liked the 'spike' the bleu cheese provided.
I take my "team" out to lunch once a month and we tried this place for a change. A government complex is nearby and we kept seeing the parking lot loaded with government vehicles so we figured it must be good.
It turns out government employees get a special discount.

You're a great American! 👍 👍 :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
AD901667-D452-44C0-85A2-05A886553737.jpeg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I had to set them on my dash to cool some because my fingers could not take anymore scalding from being fresh out of the fryer.
I thought of this thread.

I'm a member of a car forum where a bunch of the vegan's there would probably scold me for contributing to the plague of greedy corparations ruining the health of unsuspecting victims across the planet. They got all twisted when I said I like corn on the cob....
Think I'll post that photo there real quick. :poke:

Last edited:

SYZYGY

Newly Enlightened
i view it as an example of people being disconnected from their food. perhaps to them, corn in its natural state actually comes out of a bag from the freezer or something.

for brevity, i would call
corn on the cob -> corn
corn off the cob -> loose corn or cut corn

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Why is corn, that grows on a cob, referred to as corn on the cob? Doesn't it make sense to refer to processed corn as corn off the cob?
It refers to a simpler time when corn on the cob was a summer treat like watermelon and lemonade. Now that food comes from around the globe year 'round it can be had year round.

Enter marketing: once upon a time gaoline had a lead additive. When no lead gas was introduced it costed more. Yet it was less expensive to produce.

Same goes for the DelMonte frozen corn on the cob I pay more for corn on the cob than the stuff in a can that probably costs more to produce. I get that sense of pleasure by chowing down on the stuff then picking it out of my teeth after.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ingles always has a big tray of cooked chicken for 2 bucks .not sure why there is no way they make money on it

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
One pound of baby lima beans in a crock pot with a tablespoon of fresh ground pepper, 4 cups of water and two sticks of unsalted butter on low for 4-6 hours, man-o-man what a treat. Add some ham or real bacon bits if you choose. Each Thanksgiving I start a batch around 9 am and serve around 5 pm. There's rarely much left if any.

At Christmas I keep them to myself....

Edit:
Today's experiment;
1" tall pork chops baked at 325F for 30 minutes.
B2DF017F-1E2E-4870-A2B6-DBF323873FC3.jpeg

I took a tablespoon of black pepper seasoning salt and stirred it into 2 tablespoons of water. Cut a few slices into the chops and spooned onto the sauce. It was actually really good.
Served with Bush's pork & beans with chilled orange mango Body Armor to wash down the meal.
BFDD16EE-D571-46E4-BE81-3A287C2F8F95.jpeg

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
LOL.. I thought "Body Armor" was a deodorant!

Last night I used equal parts flour, Grill Mates Montreal Chicken, and ground Ginger to dredge a couple pieces of chicken breast filleted and beaten.

A bag of frozen Steam Fresh Tex Mex veggies 6 minutes in the microwave, and I had a quick delicious meal that cooked up quickly, and added few btu's to the kitchen, during another one of our heat waves.

1660225270682.png

Chauncey Gardiner

Flashaholic
IMG_2270.jpeg

Started with some leftover chicken fajita, heated it then scrambled up four eggs, heated the tortillas in the skillet then made this ^

I experienced a little difficulty plating it due to the size. Yes, I was hungry.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Ohhhh.... sour cream and guacamole! You're making me want to go out and get some (y)

last night same as the night before but different seasoning.

1660304498760.png

1660304546277.png

I gave my daughter the larger piece of chicken, so she could share with the dog.

I ate all the tex mex, she made different veggies for herself and the dog.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Lady are you rich?

Lady, are you rich?

They huddled inside the storm door — two children in ragged outgrow coats.
"Any old papers, lady?"
I was busy. I wanted to say no — until I looked down at their feet. Thin little sandals, sopped with sleet. "Come in and I'll make you a cup of hot cocoa." There was no conversation. Their soggy sandals left marks upon the hearthstone.
Cocoa and toast with jam to fortify against the chill outside. I went back to the kitchen and started again on my household budget…
The silence in the front room struck through to me. I looked in.
The girl held the empty cup in her hands, looking at it. The boy asked in flat voice, "Lady… are you rich?"
"Am I rich? Mercy, no!" I looked at my shabby slipcovers.
The girl put her cup back in its saucer — carefully. "Your cups match your saucers." Her voice was old with a hunger that was not of the stomach.
1*JU6MlA7e9LqviDPf4pdT8w.jpg

They left then, holding their bundles of papers against the wind. They hadn't said thank you. They didn't need to. They had done more than that. Plain blue pottery cups and saucers. But they matched. I tested the potatoes and stirred the gravy. Potatoes and brown gravy — a roof over our heads — my man with a good steady job — these things matched, too.
I moved the chairs back from the fire and tidied the living room. The muddy prints of small sandals were still wet upon my hearth. I let them be. I want them there in case I ever forget again how very rich I am.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
My mom and dad grew up during the depression. It really helped make a difference in how they behaved as adults and how they raised their children. They were very rich but not with silver and gold or things the world says makes you wealthy like prestige and fame.

They were rich with honor, integrity and decency. Often life would run them over but they'd always remember a much worse time from their formative years and know that time would make things right again. We never missed a meal, they made sure of that. It might not be what us kids wanted. It might not be as tastey as the neighbors were eating. But those fried chicken Sunday dinners or meatloaf night were greatly appreciated. To me, that was like growing up rich.

I'm somewhere at the end of the baby boomer generation and watched vietnam on the 6:30 news on an old black and white tv. We were the last on the block to have a color tv, but we'd pretend it was color on Saturday morning. We were the last on the block to have a lot of things, but we had a good time anyway.

My parents enriched us with happiness. You cannot buy that in any store.