Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My! (II)

Poppy

Flashaholic
Leftovers for us too.

1700963123609.png

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oddly, I don't cook much for Thanksgiving.
The family always fries turkeys and do sides…I'm never asked to help or bring anything.

My kid wanted to make a form of a Mississippi mud pie so that's what we did.
My piping tips disappeared except the nozzle. So we went with it.

IMG_4565.jpeg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i cooked another turkey lol sadly last one inrunied meat thermometer when i didnt know they wasnt oven safe. iroincaly the stupid pop up ones that came with turkey poped up the very second i removed turkey from oven lol was kind of spooky

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had forgotten why I don't eat ham until I ate it 3 days in a row at Thanksgiving and my fingers began to ache. Yup, something in ham causes my fingers to swell and get all stiffened like popsicle sticks. Skipped it yesterday and the joints are back to normal this morning.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had forgotten why I don't eat ham until I ate it 3 days in a row at Thanksgiving and my fingers began to ache. Yup, something in ham causes my fingers to swell and get all stiffened like popsicle sticks. Skipped it yesterday and the joints are back to normal this morning.
Uric acid

Same reason it flares up gout and causes kidney stones in some people.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might also be the saline solution that they inject meat with to make it juicy. I have hypertension, and have to limit salt intake or I get swelling, especially my ankles and feet. Problem is, almost all processed food is highly salted. :(

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a staple recipe for pasta casserole which is low cost, nutritious, not too hard to make, no special ingredients, and delicious. It can be vegetarian or vegan (though I am neither) depending on cheese on top, which could be substituted with something, or left off.

It started out as a mac-and-cheese with ground beef, but one time preparing and cleaning up the latter was too much bother so I substituted canned cooked beans (kidney, black, fava, chick peas); and it went from there.

To keep cost down a bit more, use dried beans, soak overnight and drain, cook until firm (but don't overcook).

Boil water and cook about 10 min. two cups of dry pasta (your choice) in a small pot; typically macaroni elbows, could add 1/4 cup or so of dry lentils. Water can be boiled in kettle first for quicker start. Drain and add to 4 qt. casserole dish.

Add one large can stewed tomatoes. I use diced, whole is fine but mash with a fork). Add one medium can cooked mixed beans, drained (typically 3- or 6-bean mix; but not marinated).

I add two celery stalks and half a medium onion both chopped fine. Then add a couple of teaspoons of granulated or chopped garlic. I add about 5 teaspoons of regular chili powder. You can spice differently to taste. I find it is fine with no salt added. Canned tomatoes have a small amount added. This is better for people with sodium restrictions.

Mix all this around well. If desired, shred some cheddar cheese on top (a few ounces).

This sounds like a lot, but well organized, it can be ready to cook in about 20 minutes.

This can be baked in oven, don't have exact time/temp as I use microwave (cheese on top does not brown, melted is fine for me).

Dave

Poppy

Flashaholic
Before and after pictures:
Trying to make a mess once instead of twice, I breaded and fried, eggplant, then vidalia onion, then fileted and pounded chicken breasts.

1702389054245.png

I made two small pans of eggplant / onion rings parmigiana. I added salt, granulated garlic, and nutmeg to ricotta cheese to give it some extra flavor. I gave one small pan to my next door neighbor as a thanks for letting our dog out at lunch time a few times.

1702389365290.png

1702389391980.png