Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My! (II)

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's another "mom's" recipe but with a twist.
Mom's fried chicken did not happen very often but that was part of the charm.
Back then on a Sunday afternoon my mom would oven fry a whole chicken in a glass pan, using some vegetable shortening as oil and a white flour dough. Back then the chicken had been walking around a nearby farm that morning and on our dinner table that night.

These days my yard bird comes from a store. We usually do chicken parts like drumsticks or thighs. But this time I had found some boneless thighs on sale. The twist part is to merinade the chicken a few days before cooking. The choice this time was to take two tablespoons of McCormick seasoning salt and turn it into a broth. Stick a few pieces in a ziplock sandwich bag, pour in the broth, add water until the meat is surrounded zip it closed, shake well and stick in the freezer a few days.

On cooking day I use a gallon ziplock with a few cups of white flour, three teaspoons of salt, three of seasoning salt, and grind a pepper grinder over it for about 30 or so twists (about a teaspoon full). Shake well.

Use an egg stirred up in a bowl to coat the meat.

With boneless thighs you coat with egg either balled up for a meaty dinner or butterfly for more batter. I chose to butterfly them in the egg then flour. Drop in the flour, shake a bit and set the covered meat into your glass pan with enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Complete the coating of the meat and place in the pan. You'll soon see why you don't need much oil. Stick in the oven for 40 minutes, flip and cook another 20.
View attachment 26295
This is the result.

Since I had some batter and egg left I cut a baking potato into french fry slices then stirred them in the bowl with egg, then into the bag of flour. Shake well and add to hot oil in a pan. I used medium heat to ensure the oil and egg combo did not cause a volcanic eruption. It took about 15 minutes to cook.
View attachment 26297
Place chicken and fried potatos onto paper towels a let rest a few minutes.
Note the popcorn at the top left is Scobby snacks for the talking bird who at 4:30 sharp says "popcorn" and rings a bell in her cage.

I served this with a cup of Duncan donuts de-caf coffee and chilled Pennsilvania spring water.
View attachment 26298

Now while I ate the oil was cooling. I pour that into the ziplock with remaining powder and paper towels used during the preparation. Zip bag and place in the trash.
View attachment 26299
Overall it was enjoyable.
I think I prefer uncoated fries though.
Hey Byk, Is that mug given to uninvited guests that come over for dinner😋

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If they make it that far KG
D10D031B-4EC0-4D09-B148-F87AEFB7890F.jpeg

The other side of the cup.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
any of you have any advice on how and what to buy for food while it cost so much? still stick with dry beans? tried to get meat today but damn near 250 a pound for chicken is crazy .

Poppy

Flashaholic
The last time I made chicken, I filleted two breasts, ponded them out, bagged them and threw them in the freezer. Tonight, I thawed them and then cooked them up, in about fifteen - twenty minutes.

Another quick and easy but delicious meal:

Knorr's rice and pasta side dish, 2 cups of boiling water, add the package and reduce the heat. 7 + 2 minutes later it is done.

While waiting for the water to boil, get out three bowls.
Put some flour in one, and some Grill Mates Montreal Chicken seasoning.
I think I use about 5-6 parts flour to one part seasoning.

Then egg wash, and finally seasoned bread crumbs in the other two bowls.

Heat some olive oil in a frying pan, and throw the chicken in.

While the chicken is frying, wash dry and put away your mixing bowls.

Cook the chicken to 165F, and you're done!

This meal also has two mac and cheese balls from outback steakhouse.

1650077083168.png

raggie33

*the raggedier*
@Chauncey damn did that cost like 20 bucks to make lol. fresh berries looks very yummy

raggie33

*the raggedier*
god im a idiot all my life i aite spaghetti out of a bowl . but now i use a plate its way better out of plate

Spin

Enlightened
any of you have any advice on how and what to buy for food while it cost so much? still stick with dry beans? tried to get meat today but damn near 250 a pound for chicken is crazy .

I enjoy the local supermarket rotisserie chicken. $6 fully cooked. I pull it apart & place various pieces in zip-loc quart bags. I squeeze the bags afterwards to remove as much air as possible & place in the freezer. Fry, bake or broil the chicken, add various raw vegetables over rice or potatoes. Add soy sauce or whatever. A delicious quick inexpensive meal for the lazy person.