Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My! (II)

Poppy

Flashaholic
Put me down for a large plate of the eggplant parm and some of that wonderful L@@King lasagna. 😋
I froze two nice servings of the lasagna, so when you come on over to the East coast we can heat them up. :)

I gave some of the eggplant to my neighbor, and in the following days, we finished off the rest of it, so it is all gone. :(

It is tasty enough, that it is worth making again.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Fairly often when I ask my daughter what she wants for dinner, her reply is:
"Honey coconut chicken"
so Tuesday I made it again.
1665750814906.png

Here with Honey glazed carrots, and Coconut rice.

1665750878998.png

Last night:

Chicken parmesan with a side of garlic bread, and penne with vodka sauce.

1665750962215.png

Poppy

Flashaholic
Since making that tray of lasagna, I've been wanting to try my hand at Moussaka.

Looking at this recipe, I went to the store to get the necessary ingredients. $21.97.
It made 8-10 servings.

It seems that each time I get it at a diner, it has a layer of potatoes, so I put them in, too.

I was wine challenged (in that I was on my third glass of wine when I started cooking). As a result, I left out some ingredients:
wine, parsley, cinnamon, and an egg. I did however substitute "Montreal Steak" seasoning, and used a garlic and herbs sauce, to which I added the seasoned meat.

1666016558542.png

1666016578856.png

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Since making that tray of lasagna, I've been wanting to try my hand at Moussaka ...

Decades ago, as a young pup, I helped (one summer) at a traveling "taco truck" run by a Greek family ... but Greek foods. They went from fair to fair, making and selling their family recipes for the visitors. Moussaka was one of their best dishes. Lamb, of course, wonderfully-fresh vegetables, great cheese, and fabulous seasonings.

Recently found a butcher shop, in my area, that has lamb, goat and game meats. Occasionally, they've got a sale on, making it tough to say "no." I'll be making a moussaka soon, I hope.

Yum, yum, yum.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Decades ago, as a young pup, I helped (one summer) at a traveling "taco truck" run by a Greek family ... but Greek foods. They went from fair to fair, making and selling their family recipes for the visitors. Moussaka was one of their best dishes. Lamb, of course, wonderfully-fresh vegetables, great cheese, and fabulous seasonings.

Recently found a butcher shop, in my area, that has lamb, goat and game meats. Occasionally, they've got a sale on, making it tough to say "no." I'll be making a moussaka soon, I hope.

Yum, yum, yum.
Often those food trucks have terrific short order cooks! Sometimes my son runs one for a friend.

I hope you DO make your moussaka, and post a picture.

Last night on the way home from the office I was thinking about.... What for dinner?
After looking in the pantry, I decided on:

Pasta Primavera with seasoned chicken.

It was very easy to do, and took about 30 minutes in all. Half of that time was waiting for the pot of water to boil.

Boil up some salted water in a large pot, and throw in the pasta.
After about 5 minutes, add a bag of frozen veggies (carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower)
Let them cook together for another 8 minutes.

In the mean time, cut up two boneless chicken breasts and roll them in some Mrs Dash seasoned flour. Fry them up in two batches in olive oil.

Drain the pasta and veggies, and throw in a jar of Classico four cheese alfredo sauce.
Add the chicken, and stir. I added a little milk to thin it out a bit.

1666444343331.png

1666444360533.png

I offered some to my daughter when she came home, but she was set on eating a salad.

She said... "Darn you make something really good, and I can't eat it. And it smells really good too!" Then she pulled out a fork, and took a mouthful. "Wow! It's as good as it smells!"

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Sneaks into poppy home and eats his dinner .lol i had Walmart canned chilli .it's ok but I prefere way more beans and less meat

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We did the 1 minute rice, brown marinated chicken breast cooked in butter again.
The boneless chicken breast had been in the freezer with 2 tablespoons of McCormick seasoned salt melted into 8 oz of water. Mix it in a coffee cup, pour it into a sandwich size ziplok with the piece of chicken in it.

Slice up the chicken breast into 1/4" cubes. Brown that in a skillet pan with a half stick of butter. Crank up the heat once brown'd to slightly burn the butter to the pan while stirring the brown'd chicken breast cubes. Add the 1 minute rice and about 4oz of water to the pan with reduced heat, stir/mix well and let simmer a few minutes. The water soaks into the rice along with the seasoning from the chicken and the butter. Plus the water causes burnt on stuck on butter to break free and stick to the meal. For a more "seasoned salt" flavor add a teaspoon over the rice as it is stirred. More than that causes it to be more salty tasting than even Mrs Fixer (who likes some chicken with her salt) prefers.

All told about 20 minutes including slicing the chicken breast. Makes 3 good size servings. Costed about 3 bucks plus the ziplox and seasoning.

I've been using a ceramic knife lately. Good gosh that thing is sharp. So far I still have all 10 fingers but I was scared to use that thing for a few years.

Poppy

Flashaholic
We did the 1 minute rice, brown marinated chicken breast cooked in butter again.
The boneless chicken breast had been in the freezer with 2 tablespoons of McCormick seasoned salt melted into 8 oz of water. Mix it in a coffee cup, pour it into a sandwich size ziplok with the piece of chicken in it.

Slice up the chicken breast into 1/4" cubes. Brown that in a skillet pan with a half stick of butter. Crank up the heat once brown'd to slightly burn the butter to the pan while stirring the brown'd chicken breast cubes. Add the 1 minute rice and about 4oz of water to the pan with reduced heat, stir/mix well and let simmer a few minutes. The water soaks into the rice along with the seasoning from the chicken and the butter. Plus the water causes burnt on stuck on butter to break free and stick to the meal. For a more "seasoned salt" flavor add a teaspoon over the rice as it is stirred. More than that causes it to be more salty tasting than even Mrs Fixer (who likes some chicken with her salt) prefers.

All told about 20 minutes including slicing the chicken breast. Makes 3 good size servings. Costed about 3 bucks plus the ziplox and seasoning.

I've been using a ceramic knife lately. Good gosh that thing is sharp. So far I still have all 10 fingers but I was scared to use that thing for a few years.
pictures or it didn't happen
Overall, it sounds terrific!
:)

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only cut myself one time. I was dicing a bell pepper and my knife's edge didn't have enough tooth…it slid off the skin and turned inward towards my properly positioned fingers. That sucked.

Here's taco soup with a ton of prepped veggies.
C6920060-B80D-41D0-B383-AAD674928578.jpeg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Another meat and rice trial and error based on the recent kabobs idea.
This time it was clearance pork rib eyes sprinkled with Lawreys black pepper seasoning salt on one side and seasoning salt on the other.
View attachment 30150
Side one

View attachment 30151
The other side
Slowly melt a half stick of butter then crank up the heat to quickly cook the chops. That also puts some yummy burnt stuff on the pan.

Then cook some rice
View attachment 30152
This was my choice
View attachment 30153
1:30 when cooking both cups

View attachment 30154
When chops are done lower heat and cut into quarter size chunks. Add the cooked rice.

View attachment 30155
Stir in the rice and add a cup of water

View attachment 30156
Served with lemonade.

About $3 for the rice and chops meal and $1 for the lemonade and about 15 minutes start to finish.
No pix, sorry.
See post above and replace the pork with a sliced up boneless chicken breast.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I think you all told me how to make tarter sauce made some yesterday. I like mine almost pure horseradish. So yummy omg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Overall, it sounds terrific!
:)
Here we go.
Rib eye pork chops cut into small cubes, bowned in melted butter, mixed with rice.
35257AB2-1F3E-4007-8E4C-FE00294B0D3B.jpeg

Chops marinated in chop house rub
Whatever that is.... kinda like Montreal steak

B8D9215F-F7CC-4F27-A6DE-4641B5D1D81B.jpeg

Melt the butter near low

EA0EF6F1-2A5D-4F34-9A99-6F4E034A86EF.jpeg

Brown the meat near high
5BA83399-6201-46CF-BC5A-C5B7E05ADCC4.jpeg

Once browned cook a few minutes things will begin to brown and some butter burns to the pan.
02780709-A7B0-4242-86EF-3371F0C1C37E.jpeg

Time to reduce heat and add the rice

B8D9215F-F7CC-4F27-A6DE-4641B5D1D81B.jpeg

To near low again.
Add rice, stir some, add 3 tbsp water. That breaks loose the burnt stuff resulting in that clinging to the rice.

F6800D24-DC4D-4160-993E-B0134293C6D5.jpeg

It also makes cleanup easier

B55F3846-D86D-4603-A507-115869AAC23D.jpeg

The non-non stick pan comes away pretty clean.

I served it with chilled sweet peas and spring water.

bridgman

Enlightened
Still not sure it was a good idea, but I saw a recipe for cranberry meatballs on mashed potatoes and it stuck in my head. I'm trying to avoid starchy foods and find cranberry sauce much too sweet so kind of improvised in the slow cooker.

Half a bag of frozen cranberries, scraped out the jar of orange marmalade, squirt of lemon juice, chopped up an onion, a few cloves of garlic and a bunch of red Thai peppers. Dumped in a bag of frozen meatballs and a bit of water then left it for a few hours with occasional stirs.

I had a spaghetti squash and butternut squash sitting around so cut them in half, cleaned out the seeds and stuck them both in the oven - spaghetti squash face down and butternut squash face up. The spaghetti squash was ready first (40 mins at 400F) and I was getting hungry so scraped out the spaghetti squash strands and added a bunch of meatballs and sauce.

Not as good as I hoped but much better than I feared. Even with no sugar added the sauce wasn't too sour, and the meatballs were meaty enough to help the spaghetti squash go down. The butternut squash took another 20 minutes before it was done - after it cooled I scooped out the flesh and saved it (along with the rest of the meatballs) for tomorrow. Scooping the butternut squash was a bit of a pain because the skin tears so easily - next time I think I'll peel & cube before cooking instead.

No pics but will try tomorrow. It wasn't an attractive meal anyways, looked like the "before" pic in a cooking makeover show.

Last edited: