Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid87

Enlightened
guiri said:
I understand that but is it common to call mountains munros?

It really depends mountains in Scotland are often called munros but I wouldn't call Everest a Munro that's a proper mountain.

Does that help?

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
..and I'm sure they're still mountains in scotland too but what I was wondering was, what percentage of the people would you say use the word munro instead of mountains? Ie, which is the more prevalent word?

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy way.

Scotland mountain is a Munro

Everywhere else it's still a mountain.
This is a table of all the 283 "Munro's".

Originally listed by Sir Hugh T. Munro in 1891

http://www.munrocentral.co.uk/fullList.php

All of them are "hills" over 3000 feet ... Some people try to walk / climb as many of the "Munros" as they can in a given time ... Some people climb them all and tick them off the list ... I don't know what they do then , when they've done all the Munros ... Probably they have a "haggis pasty" and a few "wee drams" whilst perusing the latest ordnance survey map just in case old Munro missed one off his list ... They probably plan "cairn building" trips to bring more hills into the "over 3000 feet" limit ... The purists would then knock the cairns down, to keep the list as Munro originally intended it.

If you are on a plateau in Scotland at 2950 feet and there is a 51 feet high bump on the top of it , that counts as a Munro even though it is only 51 feet high.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
No wonder William Wallace lost. Yall are crazy! :devil:
William Wallace didn't lose , he just came second
evilgrin07.gif
evilgrin07.gif

nbp

Flashaholic
I don't know who William Wallace is, but I know that Mango Chutney on lasagna sounds odd. I mean, I'd try it, it can't be inedible, but I am starting to think that maybe the Mango is the only flavor march can taste anymore and that is why everything must taste like that. I've read that your taste buds lose efficacy as you get older, so maybe that is what is happening. Mangos do have a pretty distinct flavor (not my favorite fruit), so perhaps other more ordinary flavors just don't work on march's tongue anymore. :shrug: So it's mango or nothing?

Acid87

Enlightened
march.brown said:
William Wallace didn't lose , he just came second

He didn't even come second. If it wasnt for him and others of course Scotland would be part of England! He died but he won Scottish independence.

nbp

Flashaholic
william wallace, braveheart, the movie with mel gibson.

Gotcha. Never saw it. Suppose since he was a real guy I could Google him. Maybe I will...

What sort of sandwich do you suppose Scottish warriors preferred?

Acid87

Enlightened
march.brown said:
This is a table of all the 283 "Munro's".

Originally listed by Sir Hugh T. Munro in 1891

http://www.munrocentral.co.uk/fullList.php

All of them are "hills" over 3000 feet ... Some people try to walk / climb as many of the "Munros" as they can in a given time ... Some people climb them all and tick them off the list ... I don't know what they do then , when they've done all the Munros ... Probably they have a "haggis pasty" and a few "wee drams" whilst perusing the latest ordnance survey map just in case old Munro missed one off his list ... They probably plan "cairn building" trips to bring more hills into the "over 3000 feet" limit ... The purists would then knock the cairns down, to keep the list as Munro originally intended it.

If you are on a plateau in Scotland at 2950 feet and there is a 51 feet high bump on the top of it , that counts as a Munro even though it is only 51 feet high.

I'm pretty sure "hills" are still mountains. Snowdon is a mountain as is Ben Nevis.
No such thing as a haggis pasty unfortunately. The wee drams are a requirement and actually bond by law.
Once you do all the munros you can get put on a list of people who have done all the munros. It's quite a middle aged pursuit to complete all the munros. So yeah....

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know who William Wallace is, but I know that Mango Chutney on lasagna sounds odd. I mean, I'd try it, it can't be inedible, but I am starting to think that maybe the Mango is the only flavor march can taste anymore and that is why everything must taste like that. I've read that your taste buds lose efficacy as you get older, so maybe that is what is happening. Mangos do have a pretty distinct flavor (not my favorite fruit), so perhaps other more ordinary flavors just don't work on march's tongue anymore. :shrug: So it's mango or nothing?

I think March's got selective taste buds...I know my wife has selective hearing...(or x wife rather..)

Gotcha. Never saw it. Suppose since he was a real guy I could Google him. Maybe I will...

Haggis! :)

Killer movie!

I'm pretty sure "hills" are still mountains. Snowdon is a mountain as is Ben Nevis.
No such thing as a haggis pasty unfortunately. The wee drams are a requirement and actually bond by law.
Once you do all the munros you can get put on a list of people who have done all the munros. It's quite a middle aged pursuit to complete all the munros. So yeah....

Hey, if it keeps the plebs in shape, why not?

nbp

Flashaholic
March! I had mango chutney tonight!

I was by a friend's house for supper tonight and they took a crack at some Indian foods. As a condiment they had this shredded mango chutney. As it was Indian, of course it was both sweet and spicy. I don't know how similar it is to Lidl's, but I must say it was very good with the various Indian dishes. I'd just catch some on the fork with the curried chicken 'n rice or whatever and it was excellent. Also very good on the nam (spelling?) bread. I am already hankering for more Indian food now. I know this Chinese lady who grew up in Malaysia who makes this freakin' amazing curry chicken. It's super spicy but it hurts so good you can't stop eating it. I think she owes me a tub of chicken for the homebrew I gave them. :devil:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
From this article, it seems it's naan bro.

Subsidiary of DM51? Does that mean you're his slave or something? :)

Anyway, I had this friend in Sweden (Indian) and he was a great cook. He used to cook (my favorite) this thing called butter chicken. It was amazing. He cooked and stirred the chicken so long that everything fell apart in the pot and you could eat it with a spoon if you wanted. Amazing stuff.

Found this online and although I don't know if it's the same stuff, I thought I'd post it here.
Damn I miss this dish but as you guys know, there are thousands of variations on dishes so god knows who cooks it like him :(

http://morepleasebymargie.blogspot.com/2010/09/butter-chicken-murgh-makhani.html

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry about the big writing.

[SIZE=+1]Although the sandwich has nothing to do with sand, it still has a vague connection with island life, because the Hawai'ian Islands were once called "The Sandwich Islands." They were named for the very same person for whom the sandwich that we eat was named ... [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]The Fourth Earl of Sandwich, (John Montagu 1718 to 1792) , was the patron of Captain James Cook (the explorer who discovered the Hawai'ian Islands) and, because he was also the First Lord of the Admiralty during the American revolutionary war, he has sometimes been blamed by the British for the loss of the American Colonies. There is a story that he was an enthusiastic gambler and when he didn't wish to leave the gaming table -- or possibly just his desk -- to go to dinner he would ask for someone to bring him some meat between a couple of slices of bread. Later, when others began asking for the same thing, they would say something like, "I'll have what Sandwich is having..." Obviously it caught on, and people just started calling for "a Sandwich" when they wanted meat between two slices of bread. The word sandwich is therefore an eponym -- a word or phrase whose origin is a person or historical figure.

William Wallace didn't eat sandwiches as he lived a long time before the Sandwich was invented.

One of the most common questions is how factual Mel Gibson's portrayal of William Wallace was in the 1995 film Braveheart ... The short answer is that it hasn't an iota of fact in it.

It's a good film, just don't take it as fact. For example, Isabella cannot have been carrying Wallace's child (and presumably Edward III) as she was in France at the time and did not arrive in England until two years after Wallace's death. She could also therefore not have warned him at York (which Wallace didn't attack anyway) ... The film makers only correct fact was that William Wallace was a Man !

Hope you enjoy the fictional film.
[/SIZE]

Last edited:

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Fired up the Rayburn tonight for the first time this winter, thought you might like to see it.

cec5868c.jpg

Just chorizo and rice for supper, had lunch at mum & dads. There was a price, had to show them how their new iPad works.

nbp

Flashaholic
From this article, it seems it's naan bro.

Subsidiary of DM51? Does that mean you're his slave or something? :)

Anyway, I had this friend in Sweden (Indian) and he was a great cook. He used to cook (my favorite) this thing called butter chicken. It was amazing. He cooked and stirred the chicken so long that everything fell apart in the pot and you could eat it with a spoon if you wanted. Amazing stuff.

Found this online and although I don't know if it's the same stuff, I thought I'd post it here.
Damn I miss this dish but as you guys know, there are thousands of variations on dishes so god knows who cooks it like him :(

http://morepleasebymargie.blogspot.com/2010/09/butter-chicken-murgh-makhani.html

Yes, I believe it is naan. Which is actually a transliteration anyways, because I can't type Devongari or Syrian script or any of those with my keyboard even if I wanted to. (My buddy and I are going to try to learn Hindi. Yikes, it's whole different characters.)

For the story on the sig-line, you have to read this thread. ;)

nbp

Flashaholic
Sorry about the big writing.

[SIZE=+1]Although the sandwich has nothing to do with sand, it still has a vague connection with island life[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]........
[/SIZE]

Seriously dude?! All that writing and not ONE comment on my Mango Chutney story?!?!?! :ohgeez:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts