Buying a camcorder

jrtf83

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,
Dunno how much traffic this forum gets, but here goes.

I'm looking to buy a camcorder to record my parents before they get too old. I'd like to be able to show my kids (and their kids) what their dad, and grandparents were like when they were young.

I've been looking around, and it seems these Flip handhelds are all the rage but they seem awefully cheap. The one camera I've seen that looks best is the Panasonic HDC-TM15K, but I'm wondering if its possible to use a remote shutter release type thing with it.
I dunno, I guess I'm wondering if any of you are in the same hunt, or have been recently, and if you had any advice on what to get, or where to continue my search.

Thanks as always,lovecpf
Ross

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ross,

I dunno about the Panasonic, but I have a Flip Mino, Canon sd780 camera with video capability and a JVC HD camcorder. The Flip is great, easy to use and does a pretty good job overall. It's weaknesses are low light and zoom capability. It only has a digital zoom and no light options at all. Other than that just plug into a computer and download video. It even has software to edit you video right on the camcorder. Pretty good for the money, but you didn't say what your budget is.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flip is surprising in video quality, but no stereo sound and no optical zoom.

I've seen the digital camera and camcorder markets being convergent for many years now. I am disappointed that it has taken so long and cameras still have handicapped video features like limited zoom, mono sound at crappy bit rates.

Manufacturers are now starting to come around with HD video on cameras with clear stereo sound. Model choices are still limited.

My point is that you may want to check for a digital still camera with good video capabilities.