Cable TV

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened
Why do people pay for cable TV and streaming services when everything is available online for free? There are tons of free live TV and on-demand movie/TV and bittorrent websites where you can watch anything you want commercial free. Even PPV events. I understand it is illegal to download and distribute copyrighted material, but my first amendment rights guarantee my freedom to watch anything I want. Do people not know about this?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do people pay for cable TV and streaming services when everything is available online for free? There are tons of free live TV and on-demand movie/TV and bittorrent websites where you can watch anything you want commercial free. Even PPV events. I understand it is illegal to download and distribute copyrighted material, but my first amendment rights guarantee my freedom to watch anything I want. Do people not know about this?
Nope.

Plus there is marketing, and people who have oodles of disposable income and don't care.

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened
Nope.

Plus there is marketing, and people who have oodles of disposable income and don't care.
For me, it's not about whether I'm ABLE to pay, It's about whether I'm WILLING to pay. The original promise of pay TV was commercial free broadcasts. Today, the average one-hour show has about 20 minutes of ads in it. I refuse to pay to watch commercials. Besides, the commercials are WAY too woke, every one has to have a diverse mix of gay, interracial or minority actors in them. I choose not to have them in my home.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
If I could watch the dolphins games still id dump cable tv

jtr1962

Flashaholic
For me, it's not about whether I'm ABLE to pay, It's about whether I'm WILLING to pay. The original promise of pay TV was commercial free broadcasts. Today, the average one-hour show has about 20 minutes of ads in it. I refuse to pay to watch commercials.
I noticed that also. Thankfully the movie channels are still commercial free. Those are what I watch most of the time anyway. Can't stand having my program interrupted every 6 minutes to hear an ad for the next wonder drug or giant SUV.

Besides, the commercials are WAY too woke, every one has to have a diverse mix of gay, interracial or minority actors in them. I choose not to have them in my home.
Yeah, it's getting annoying and I'm generally socially liberal. I don't like stuff thrown in front of my face. An occasional commercial with the things you mention is fine, but stick to reality where most of those things are less common than you might think just from watching commercials.

In general though I wish the advertisers would get the message that ads aren't as effective as they think they are. Most people use commercial breaks to go the bathroom, grab snacks, do quick chores, whatever. I think it would reflect good on any company that simply said something at the beginning and end of a program along the lines of "The program bought to you by company Y, makers of product Z", perhaps followed by a brief ad. I partially blame TV commercials for the short attention spans nowadays. For starters, they interrupt programs so frequently people get in the habit of not concentrating for more than 6 or 7 minutes. They also get impatient if anyone trying to explain something to them takes more than 30 or 45 seconds. These bad habits carry over to relationships with others, as well as work habits.

Oh, and prescription drug advertising needs to be made illegal. So do car ads depicting reckless driving. The little disclaimers like "The vehicle in this commercial was driven on a closed course by a professional driver" in text so small it's not legible from normal viewing distances don't cut it.

TPA

Enlightened
I've not had cable TV in 15+ years now. Not even an antenna. I stopped when "basic cable" became $87 then ($100+ in today's American pesos) and everything was going digital. $100*12 months = $1200/year. $1200*15 years = $18k I've saved, and probably more than that considering what many people are paying for cable, streaming, etc.

When I shut the TV off, I had so much more free time to get things accomplished, not to mention extra money to do so. Quite a quality of life improvement, actually. Initially, when I'd go in a hotel room, I'd flip through the channels, see there's nothing worth watching, then turn the TV off. I can't even think of the last time I've done that.

Oh, and prescription drug advertising needs to be made illegal.

I believe the only countries that's still allowed in is the USA and New Zealand. $6+ BILLION was spent on direct-to-consumer pharma advertising in a single year. That's $6BN coming out of patients' pockets which doesn't go towards actual healthcare.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my antenna still rotates in the wind. sucks its mass is 2 pipes on inside the other so it will spin in the wind. but my plan is to use a heater core hose on the joint with hose clamps

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I was a kid the neighbors that had loot had roof antenas that rotated to optimum direction when they changed the channel on their tv.
My pop had rabbit ears to suppliment his roof antena. Balls of alluminum foil on top of the rabbit ears supplimented that.

Our first color tv had a cable jack on the back. My mom and dad compromised where pop bought a color tv if mom would pay for the cable.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i swear yesterday after another antenna adjust i got a tv channel from florida 120 miles away but its only in the am . i may try a amp

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Why do people pay for cable TV and streaming services when everything is available online for free?

I've not found "everything" I wanted when I wanted it. Not for free, at least.

A given old movie, documentary or other program will come and go, for some months it might not be out there but then for awhile it'll appear. I'm sure the various services use algorithms to determine when (and for whom) to display such alternatives ... whether based on their online/click behavior, or which things they seemingly consider and how often, etc.

In my case, I don't do any television programming, whether cable or otherwise. I have a solid collection of old films, and I occasionally (rarely) do a streaming service to see what they offer. Though, in my own experience, most of the individual services have mostly schlock along with several dozens of good-quality stuff. Which is rather quickly exhausted. So, for me, none of them are really worthwhile. Eventually, most films become available for peanuts in good-to-very-good condition; and obviously none of those come with the force-fed advertising of most services.

I'm not surprised that services have gone this way. It's probably unbelievably expensive to produce a great range of shows and programs, and the piper must be paid somehow. With cable, they're the ones laying the cabling and operating the equipment to bundle those programs into a "feed". Hard to do such things without revenues, and there are only so many methods of generating such revenue.

Fortunately, today there are relatively inexpensive "basic" internet service options into a home. Without all the add-on "bundled" crap. A person can then choose which (if any) streaming over that line is worthwhile, and whether to pay for such. Nice to have options. Not everyone does.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
We finally cut the cable, sort of. Still have Spectrum, but stopped renting the cable boxes since we've now got a couple Roku TVs with the Spectrum app. Probably should dump that, too, since about all we watch on Spectrum is the local news (and Jeopardy, of course).

Geoff

Reactions: TPA
We finally cut the cable, sort of. Still have Spectrum, but stopped renting the cable boxes since we've now got a couple Roku TVs with the Spectrum app. Probably should dump that, too, since about all we watch on Spectrum is the local news (and Jeopardy, of course).

Geoff
WHAT!? No Wheel? :yellowlaugh:

While on the subject of generating revenue, Wheel of Fortune is syndicated around the globe. They're making tons of $$$. How bout they get rid of a few of those BANKRUPT spaces?!
Have you ever noticed how the camera operator always frames the shot so the TV audience cannot see the entire wheel simultaneously? I think it's to obscure just how many BANKRUPT spaces there are. :rant:

We don't watch it at home, but whenever we go over to my mother's house, it's always on at dinnertime.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I still prefer plain old linear cable TV. It has everything I want under a single subscription. No need for separate subscriptions for Hulu, Amazon, Peacock, Paramount, Netflix, Roku, Tivo, Fubo, Philo, Youtube, Sling,... just one bill covers everything.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I went to Dish Network with their excellent DVR when commercial breaks started becoming 4, 5, and 6 minutes. Ten or fifteen years ago I was at the point where I was recording football games, the news, or my fav programs on VHS tapes so that I could fast forward past commercials. Especially when they're the same droning car insurance commercials over and over on every break, every channel. At some point, most networks timed the breaks at the same time so you couldn't surf to something else. Bye bye, from me. FM radio is just as bad. I NEVER listen to it.

It's not cheap, but it's worth every penny, and has free on demand streaming as well. I haven't really watched a commercial in years. I DVR everything. I'll DVR the Superbowl, start watching a little over an hour after it actually starts, skip through the commercials and the lame halftime show, and catch up to real time about when it ends. Plus, I can do my own replays & slow motion as many times as I want.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i am trying to recall how many chanels we had on attenna tv in the 80s anyone recal?

sparkyv

Newly Enlightened
Yup, we cut the cord almost 15 years ago, too. However, I do have antenna TV and internet LG channels that came included with our TV.
I refuse to pay to watch commercials. Besides, the commercials are WAY too woke, every one has to have a diverse mix of gay, interracial or minority actors in them. I choose not to have them in my

Me too; the last few business trips, I didn't flip it on even once. I get my news from online aggregator sites and read my ebooks instead.
when I'd go in a hotel room, I'd flip through the channels, see there's nothing worth watching, then turn the TV off.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool and we still had plenty to watch btw im just recalling the creature feature