Camera Li-ons

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking of making a flood light for a buddy of mine who does a lot of photography. It would be nice if he could just have a whole bunch of Dslr Li-on packs that also work in the flood light.

Is it possible to do this? also

the circuits i have at home go to a max of 4.2, and the battery, im guessing, is two cells in series, giving 7.4v nominal. My electronics are rusty, but can anyone tell me if there is a way to attach a resistor so that i can use the circuits i have?

thanks

Crenshaw

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cell phone batteries are Li-po's, and have a pretty high risk of venting.

I know I saw someone made a ROP out of some Li-po's, and everyone wished him luck.

I don't know how I never hear of cell phone or digital cameras venting.. they must have some very good protection circuits built into the equipment.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thinking of making a flood light for a buddy of mine who does a lot of photography. It would be nice if he could just have a whole bunch of Dslr Li-on packs that also work in the flood light.

Is it possible to do this? also

the circuits i have at home go to a max of 4.2, and the battery, im guessing, is two cells in series, giving 7.4v nominal. My electronics are rusty, but can anyone tell me if there is a way to attach a resistor so that i can use the circuits i have?

A resistor is a bad idea, it would waste a lot of power and produce a lot of heat. I would suggest looking for a buck circuit at DX or Kai.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats something to consider then...:sick:
:sick: I probably will look for another buck circuit then.

There HAVE been cases ive heard of where someones cell phone "explodes" but given the sheer multitude of cellphones, its surprisingly rare.

Crenshaw

smopoim86

Enlightened
I would agree that the best option would be to get another driver. One issue you may run into is that many camera batteries do not have a low voltage cutoff. The are cut off in camera. You may need a way of assuring you don't over-discharge the battery.