Camping LED advice

Brody

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the Princeton Tec EOS recommendation. For camping I just really like not having to hold a light in one hand while trying to do various jobs. Headlights really are the way to go.
If you go with a handheld light, I do like the Streamlight 4AA luxeon light. It is a good durable waterproof light that does work well for camping.

Lambert

Newly Enlightened
HarveyRich said:
No one has mentioned the Fenix l2d-ce which has six settings, although only four are actually practical. It's larger than the above mentioned lod-ce, but IMHO is more versatile in the forest. If you're in a crowded camp area you can use it on low or medium, but if you're in an isolated campsite you would want quite a bit of light and you would be grateful for high or turbo. It has more output than any 2AA light I've heard about and can be run on easily usable AA batteries. Check out the review at Flashlight Review: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1dce-l2dce.htm. Runtime on turbo is about 2 hrs and 4 hrs on high, while you get an amazing 40 lumens on medium for over 10 hrs of runtime on NiMH batteries.

He's looking for something that's less than $40...

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had a thought - when you talk of "camping", is this out of a vehicle or backpacking? Is weight an issue?

Steve Andrews

Enlightened
I always take a headlight with me (a Petzl Tikka Plus) and back it up with a hand held light with a good run time.

I usually take an AA MiniMag with an Opalec Newbeam LED conversion, or a Fenix L2T.

To back up my back up I have an Arc AAA on a neck lanyard.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Gunner12 said:
The Jetbeam CL-E had quality issues.
+1, and shipping from DX will take some time (likely wouldn't see it until May). That being said, it's a good deal for the price and I think it would make a decent camping light since the low mode is fairly low (considerably lower than a L1DCE, and closer to my L0DCE).

But I second a headlamp as a first choice for camping. Some excellent suggestions have already been made here.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
lindenbaum said:
WOW! I go to work, come back home and look at all these replies! Thanks everyone :)
Let me add a friendly welcome aboard too! It's amazing there is such a worldwide love of flashlights, and you've definitely found the central meeting place.

mikeh

Newly Enlightened
I'll add my vote for the head-light, but suggest you make it a dim one. A single standard white LED is enough for close-up work like cooking, playing cards etc without ruining your night vision, or blinding your friends. OR better yet, a multiple-LED with adjustable power.
I also use a much brighter handheld torch^Wflashlight (Cree) for following trails at night

lindenbaum

Newly Enlightened
Decided to stop in and check the thread at work. I think I am officially in a whirlwind! But as I sort through all the helpful posts, I am beginning to narrow things down.

I am going to get a cheapo headlamp and lantern at a walmart, target or amazon. You are all right by having these things for camping.

BTW, this is camping in the woods... not going to be by any cars, campers, etc.

There are some amazing lights but pricey. Considering this willl be my first LED light, I still plan to stay below the $40 mark. So some of the ideas thrown around I will note them for a possible future purchase.

I am ditching the JetBeam idea. It's just too risky and I would rather spend $30-$40 on something I know will arrive in good condition. With that said, I keep finding myself back at the Fenix page. What has sparked my interest is the L1S. Small, powerful, stands upright, supposedly waterproof.... and it's just under 30 bucks. The review was 4/5 on flashlightreviews so its not bad.

I'll check back later after work and go through these suggestions you all have made. Trying to narrow down the list

Eskimonio

Newly Enlightened
Nice quote in your sig, blader!

I agree that a headlamp is definitely useful around camp, but if you really have that much self-control and just want to buy ONE all-purpose light in your price range, I still vouch for the L0D-CE -- can be held in the mouth for hands free, although you wouldn't want to do that for hours on end.

I'm not familiar with PT products, but I really like my Petzl Zipka Plus, but it's $29. Uses AAAs, water resistant...not sure if it's regulated, but it claims as much as ~130 hours on low. (I really like this headlamp, and don't know why it doesn't get as much airtime on these forums as some others.)

ANOTHER option that I just saw at TARGET within the last week is the NEW Energizer headlamp. Runs about ~ $16 and this one now has 4(?) white LEDs, 2 red LEDs, and a 1 W LED all in the same package...might be worth checking out. Runs on AAAs so you could cannibalize the batteries for your soon-to-be-purchased L0D-CE.

**edit, just saw your post**

I don't have any experience w/ the L1S, but you're definitely on to something there, you give up some light vs. the L0D-CE, but it scrubs some $$ off your purchase price.

Since you're not car camping, I assume weight/space are valuable commodities. If you just need a tent light, you could theoretically skip the lantern idea altogether, and use that Energizer or whatever headlamp you pick up hanging from the interior ceiling of your tent.

Last edited:

blademan

Enlightened
I have a LOP-SE that I carry edc. I actually used several brands and types of headlamps for years camping and the PT Quad is my favorite. I can never decide on what handheld to bring! Thanks and glad you like the quote Esk..I carry a L1 with two stage mod alot for camping since I got it and I like it a lot.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that I don't use my lights when camping much. Reading in the tent and late night 'relief' only require a minimum of light. I always bring extra lights to test them out. It's fun to shine your really bright lights at the next hill to impress your friends, but the usefulness of a super bright light while camping is limited.

If you had to hike out and it took 3 days, you would want a good long running light. (Hopefully you get a chance to sleep at night, even if you're lost.)

One fun thing to do while camping is to scan the forest with a light to look for glowing eyes watching your position.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
He's looking for something that's less than $40...

Good point that I forgot to mention--the l2d-ce is $55, but has a 5% CPF discount. So, it's slightly higher priced, but well worth it, IMHO.

todo

Newly Enlightened
If you can spend 40 add a few dollars to it and get a small(tiny) light you can use for a multitude of tasks. The Fenix L0Dce at about $45 is bar none my favorite light. Its small enough to hang from my neck or clip in a shirt pocket. Runs on easy to find AAA bats and on lithiums has very descent run time. How bright is it?.... shockingly bright for its size, I litterly use it for everything anymore, cause its allways on me.

I'll add that I also have the fenix p1dce and l2dce, while the last two fenix's are nice and also bright. The size , ease of carry and opperation make the L0dce the clear winner.

Last edited:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
One fun thing to do while camping is to scan the forest with a light to look for glowing eyes watching your position.
Those would be raccoons waiting for your light to go out.

lindenbaum

Newly Enlightened
Alright, I can't say how much I appreciate all the replies and ideas. Much thanks! But its coming time to make a decision and my mind has switched back and forth nearly a hundred times. Do I spend 5 bucks more for a better light? Do I spend 10 bucks more? Its seriously never ending and I need to make a stance and get this over with :knight:

So heres 3 that I think have good potential. I am willing to throw a little more money into the ring, perhaps up to 50-60 bucks. I really hate to do it, but if its a light that I can have for the rest of my life, then its worth it. So here it goes....

1) Fenix L2S $31.46 comes with belt sheath and spare parts which is very nice package for the price.
2) Fenix L2D CE $55 so much money but it seems like major bang-for-the-buck.
3) Inova X5 $40 I still dont know what the specs are but it comes with sheath and seems to be worthwhile at this price.

it seems the cree versions expand the runtime immensely. Especially the L2D CE. The runtimes are amazing. So, considering all my criteria, I keep thinking that runtime will be an important factor. I wish there was a emoticon going in circles because thats what I feel like :)

I really need to close this thread and bring the search of my first LED light to an end. So, even though I tend to like many of the choices, these seem to keep rising to the top. Also note that even though some are 5" long, it doesnt seem like it would be a problem in a pocket or in a belt sheath.

Thanks once again and I can see why you guys are having such fun with these. Hell, I dont even have one yet. So one more round of discussion and my decision will be final :popcorn:

Last edited:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thought --- a dim yellow or orange light will be all you need for a lot of dark night activity, and will leave your night vision working. I camped for years just using old bicycle red LED lights that had a constant on setting, and still use them as extra illumination.

Remember it takes fifteen or twenty minutes before your eyes really adapt to the dark, and about half a second to wipe out that dark adaptation with a flash of white light.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's arguably not the colour so much as the intensity. White light is much better to actually see with, which is what you want to do. White LEDs are nice and diffuse whereas incandescent bulbs are not, so a dim LED is much nicer to use. Very dim red light can't be seen with peripheral vision, but then again it's also too dim to see anything with.