Camping Light/EDC

ryanprun

Newly Enlightened
I am just getting into flashlights and picked up an Olight i3s 6 months ago that has never left my keychain. (except when the triangle broke and was replaced with a split ring):laughing:

I am looking for something a little more powerful to take on 3-4 day camping trips. Although my i3s has been working well with an extra battery and the ability to clip to the front of my cap for a headlamp is great :)
Budget ~$70
Open to different battery types: AA/ Cr123/ 18650
I have a rc hobby charger, although I do not have any 18650 yet. Is 18650 too big to clip to a cap?
Good runtimes on Med ~100 lumens ~8hrs

Looking at the Olight S20 or S15, mainly because of the ability to clip to cap and my good experience with i3s.
Any other suggestions? Dedicated headlight or just clip to hat?

Thanks in Advance.

weez82

Enlightened
Smaller the better for edc in my experience. I tend to leave the bigger heavier stuff at home and bring the smaller stuff with me. cr123 as been perfect for edc and AA and 17670 is as big as I'll go for edc. As for the lights, so many quality lights out there. Look through the other "Recommend me a light threads" for the size youre looking for to get an idea of what type of light you want and read reviews on them in the Review forum.

As for my recommendation, foursevens quark line using the xm-l (older models) or xm-l2 (newer models). I use the Quark X 123 and Quark mini123 when backpacking and camping. Great lights. And the size is right for edc. You need to keep in mind that edc means Every Day Carry, the light needs to be comfortable to carry. For me 18650 is just too big. Others do it just fine so you might like it. Just keep in mind that it isnt small

EDIT: Another one to look at is the Thrunite T10S. Nice looking light and comes with a diffuser cone. Those diffuser cones are great for camping and backpacking. Turns the light into a lantern. I use one of the Fenix diffuser cones when backpacking and camping. Put a lanyard on the light (or use string) and hang it from something and the camp site is lit up

Review of the light http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...inless-Steel)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO

EDIT2: I forgot to mention Zebralight. They come with a headband and hands free lighting is great for camping. I use the Fenix headband and can tell you it's a game changer

Last edited:

UnderPar

Enlightened
ZebraLight SC600 MK2 L2 could be a good option considering its flood and spill. This could be a good camping light. Only, it is way beyond your budget of $ 70. Did you ever consider a head lamp?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralights work very well for camping lights with the floody beam and widely variable output levels.

Mine have even proven to be fully waterproof.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
The discussion and suggestions above are all right on the mark, but if you want 100 lumens for 8 hours, an AA light will not be able to do that for you. You will need battery changes.

An 18650 light is too big to put on your cap, like your little i3S.
For an 18650 light that is slightly larger than those suggested above, and for the price, (about $15) I like to recommend:

Convoy S2 Cree XM-L U2-1B 1400ma 2-Group 3/5-Mode EDC LED Flashlight Cool white tint
Convoy S2 Cree XM-L T5-5C 2-Group 3/5-Mode EDC LED Flashlight For a more warm/neutral tint

To switch mode group: switch to low mode and wait for 5 seconds.
As soon as you notice a quick blink, half press the power switch
and mode group is then toggled.

Group 1 (5-Mode): Lo (5%) > Mid (40%) > Hi (100%) > Strobe > SOS;
Group 2 (3-Mode): Lo (5%) > Mid (40%) > Hi (100%)

From a 3400 mAh battery one might expect:

low: 30-35 lumen: 40 hours.
mid: 150-200 lumen: 6 hours.
max: 400-450 lumen: 2.5 hours

Poppy

Flashaholic
Smaller the better for edc in my experience.

<snip>You need to keep in mind that edc means Every Day Carry, the light needs to be comfortable to carry. For me 18650 is just too big.

I agree regarding EDC, and personally I EDC a little stainless AAA key chain light. BUT when camping, I EDC the convoy I mentioned above. I also have my little key chain light.

ryanprun

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the comments. I hadn't considered a Zebralight headlight, that is definitely a possibility. Seems like Selfbuilt likes the flashlight version of these.
I was worried that a 18650 might be too big for putting on my cap and the comments seem to back that up.
I hadn't looked at the convoy lights before. Seems like a great deal from fasttech. What is the largest capacity battery that fasttech sells that fits?

A diffuser is also a good idea for camping.

Any other lights that have a clip that allows attaching to hat (aa or cr123) besides olight?
Thanks!

Poppy

Flashaholic
I hadn't looked at the convoy lights before. Seems like a great deal from fasttech. What is the largest capacity battery that fasttech sells that fits?

I have a 3400 ma in my S2

the S2 is 124 mm long, and it takes unprotected and protected batteries, both button top and flat top.
the S4 is 119 mm long and the site states that it takes FLAT top batteries

The S5 and S6 are 115 mm long, and the Stainless steel S7 is 116 mm long and those three only take flat top unprotected batteries.

the S3 is also 115 mm long and there is no mention of battery limitations (You might want to check with them first, but looking further...)
I found one review of the S3 that states that the "Sanyo protected batteries don't fit. Much longer."