Camping lighting. Several small lanterns?

entoptics

Enlightened
Wife and I spend countless weekends around a fire and sleeping in the back of my Ford Exploder in various wilderness settings.

It recently occurred to me, that rather than a headlamp (which Im kosher with), a few mildly bright but diffuse LED lanterns around the homestead would make it easier on the Mrs when were roughing it.

I have a 3xAA with about 100 lm Cree (shaped like a coke can sized white gas coleman), that would do the job, but the light is too harsh.

Criteria.

1) Cheap. Maybe 50 bucks for EVERYTHING.

2) AA powered. I have a bunch of old NiMH that would be fine for this duty.

3) Soft fuzzy light. About 100 lumens each.

4) 2-4 hour runtime on 2-4 AA NiMH. (unregulated is fine, as long as it's not stupidly inflated)

5) No bigger than a coke can.

My idea is to put one on the top of the truck, hang one from a tree, and have one on the table (or in another tree/bush if there's no table).

I'm 100% open to any suggestions. The lantern I was gifted gave me some ideas, but I know nothing. I could frost the lantern globe on this one and tone down the harshness, and it might be perfect.

I'd just like some ideas before I start thrashing on stuff.

Anyway, any tips or suggestions? Home Depot stuff to custom KD/DX crafts. It won't be camping season for a couple months, so I have some time to experiment. Just not much money.

I dont need lots of power, I need mood lighting. Just a few glowing beacons to move about by with campfire vision. We still wanna see the stars when we look up.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back around the time this was posted I saw at REI Inc. an interesting camping light concept. Simply it was a string of AA battery operated white LEDs you drape around the area. Cost IIRC was about $20. The photos on the packaging looked very nice as it illuminated a larger area without having any super bright point light sources that burn your retinas in the woods, where it is already very dark.

cccpull

Enlightened
Coleman Quad lantern, they sell for about $55. It's D cell powered, but splits into 4 separate lights.
2000001150_500.jpg

Or get yourself 2 Rayovac SE3DLN Sportsman Extreme 300 lumens, they go for about $23 at
Amazon.
81Hn3T2SuoL._AA1500_.jpg

Or as mentioned before, you can get 3 or 4 of the Rayovac 55 lumens Sportsman mini lantern for about $15 each, and it runs on aa batteries.

91-V0ZXuRyL._AA1500_.jpg

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme; great lantern at a great price. Brighter than any other LED lantern I've ever seen. Works just fine on rechargeable too. It's a drag that it's a cool tint, but it's still a great light, especially for the price. If they ever do a neutral tint version, I'll buy three or four more of them.

redheddedstranger

Newly Enlightened
Back around the time this was posted I saw at REI Inc. an interesting camping light concept. Simply it was a string of AA battery operated white LEDs you drape around the area. Cost IIRC was about $20. The photos on the packaging looked very nice as it illuminated a larger area without having any super bright point light sources that burn your retinas in the woods, where it is already very dark.

i have seen these in action. very useful! works good draped around chairs while night fishing. also keep in mind they do attract bugs lol:D

joelmyer

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking some something for my camper for after we shut the generator down.

We have something like this and it's fine. Still on the original Ds (two years) and useful as a work light.

Now I'm looking at the Rayovac Sportsman 55-Lumens LED Mini Lantern or the Grenade Cree XR-E LED Lantern 136 Lumens, Metalic Blue Body LTC-1613AA for something more omnidirectional.

Joel

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also heard very good things about the rayovac 55 lumen lantern.

Here is one other kidna neat option:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GQ5EC0/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I don't really think it's worth it for 15, but I bought one for 9.99 on sale a few months back and it is pretty handy. It uses an optic so it actually puts out a good spot in flashlight mode and in its lantern mode provides a very low level of light but probably still enough to see your way in the dark around a campsite.

the grenade makes me a little skeptical because one of the nice things about the rayovac is it has that diffuser coating which makes the light much easier to look at while the grenade doesnt appear to.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either the gitd diffuser film sold in the cpf marketplace on what you already have OR Zebralight H501, H50fw

Latest posts