Can a Flashlight Ever "Explode" ?

N_N_R

Enlightened
The title pretty much says it all.

Can a flashlight with whatever/any batteries in it ever explode due to whatever reason? I mean, if something goes wrong, is it

- EVER possible for the flashlight body to be torn apart/torn into pieces by a battery "explosion" inside the body?

- Or will the batteries (whatever their type) just leak?

- Or will the batteries create some chemical reaction inside the body, create some pressure and when you open the flashlight, it's gonna feel like...opening a bottle of champagne, let's say?

I don't know the first thing about batteries and use only rechargeable AAA/AAs, so.... yeah. I'm just curious.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Go to the Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included forum, and find the sticky for Smoke and Fire, Hot Cells and Close Calls.

Sorry, I don't know how to post a link with Tapatalk...

fyrstormer

Banned
Sure, if you put dynamite in it instead of a battery.

Okay, it's *remotely* possible if you use a defective battery and it somehow develops a high-amperage short-circuit, it could overheat to the point that it bursts. Such incidents are more and more rare as lithium battery technology matures, though.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes...........but so can your car!!!!

If common sense is used,right practice as mentioned many times on here, i would say then statistically being eaten by a shark whilst being struck by lightning may be around the same.........

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes...........but so can your car!!!!

If common sense is used,right practice as mentioned many times on here, i would say then statistically being eaten by a shark whilst being struck by lightning may be around the same.........

He may get tea with the Pope before his light exploded but you never say never.:D

N_N_R

Enlightened
My idea with this question was a bit different I guess.... I meant it more like... can the very flashlight BODY serve as some protection for the user in case something goes wrong with the batteries. The topics I looked through are more for... what types of batteries explode, how to treat your batteries and so on. But if your batteries are IN your flashlight and something happens, will the flashlight with the batteries harm YoU or blow out your.. well hand, hehe. I know I'm exaggerating, but that's the question... For example, I sleep with my phone and light next to my head... so. I hope I don't wake up one nice day and find my... body away from my head, lol. I know that the batteries in the phones aren't the safest, but I was curious about the lights.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
My idea with this question was a bit different I guess.... I meant it more like... can the very flashlight BODY serve as some protection for the user in case something goes wrong with the batteries. The topics I looked through are more for... what types of batteries explode, how to treat your batteries and so on. But if your batteries are IN your flashlight and something happens, will the flashlight with the batteries harm YoU or blow out your.. well hand, hehe. I know I'm exaggerating, but that's the question... For example, I sleep with my phone and light next to my head... so. I hope I don't wake up one nice day and find my... body away from my head, lol. I know that the batteries in the phones aren't the safest, but I was curious about the lights.

Ironically, its the opposite effect.

Without a vessel to contain expanding gases, there's not much of an explosion. This is why a pipe BOMB works better than a pile of gunpowder, etc. The flashlight's body acts as the pipe.

The thinner the walls, and the flimsier the flashlight's boards and threads and caps, etc...the less of a blast. The more robust the light, and the harder it is for the expanding gases to escape, the worse the resulting damage.

As mentioned of course, this is an EXTREMELY rare occurance, one that is avoided by not using damaged and/or cheap knoockoff/counterfeit cells, etc, and basic maintenance, such as not using two cells in parallel with different internal resistances/states of charge, using a decent charger, etc.

Even people that ignore all precautions almost always get away scott free, and never have a single issue...the moral equivalent of smoking while refueling your car with the cig in the pump hand.

The exceptions of course are very unlucky people.

So, punk, do yah feel lucky?

:D

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any internal pressure buildup will likely cause the window to blow out first. An explosion would look more like setting off a flare than a pipe bomb.

As for batteries, I doubt nimh/alkaleaks have the ability to vent hard/fast enough to cause an explosion. (I won't argue if that statement is wrong!)

Primary lithium or Li-Ion would stand the best chance of blowing your hand/head off :)

ven

Flashaholic
There is 1 thread where a light does explode,the energy will find weakest point and iirc it looked like a cheap *****fire flashlight that may be a zoomable.

Lots sleep with lights next to them,in their coats,in their cars etc etc(imagine if one exploded in your car whilst driving) it just will not happen unless your are really (going to be like mr mcnair here and straight to the point) stupid!!!

Decent cells,decent lights,research,common sense=happy safe enjoyment.

Would you light a cigarette whilst putting gas in your car

Would you leave a cheap chinese battery on a cheap chinese charger over night,then short cells in a cheap light,even then the it would spark,you would have warnings.

The build of the lights,how many thread on cap,the weakest spot i would think is front,so "IF" something did give i would have thought the front lens first or maybe rear cap.

Anything is possible,BUT we are really talking remote imho,i gave a silly example of sharks and lightning that statistically its just highly unlikely.

Vapers(ecigs) are far more prown to any issues regarding lights,these devices do have vents in them(not good for flashlights as would let water in :laughing: but unprotected cells,high power use,pretty much for 16hrs use on/off each day.

Now i see what crap is for sale regarding chargers,ultra fire is in abundance,package deals with vv ecigs,with fire cells,cheap vv mods,left on over night so they can be vaping(or venting) 1st thing in the morning.

1000s ,1,000,000s will be doing that around the world,wrong practices,crap cells and chargers,how many daily reports do we here.............(i have heard of one but not 18650 related but still a li-ion) but down to use/goods

Sorry to digress,but seriously if a worry then have a nimh fed light under pillow rather than a li ion fed one;)

Sure lots of different views,the above is mine,some may say wrong,others may agree with bits;)

People sleep with guns under pillows.......................:poof:

:laughing:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Any internal pressure buildup will likely cause the window to blow out first. An explosion would look more like setting off a flare than a pipe bomb.

As for batteries, I doubt nimh/alkaleaks have the ability to vent hard/fast enough to cause an explosion. (I won't argue if that statement is wrong!)

Primary lithium or Li-Ion would stand the best chance of blowing your hand/head off :)

The board and spring pad that back the head that's screwed into the body resist, not just the lens....and that chamber is what tends to let pressure build at that end too. As the gases can expand very quickly, even somewhat large looking holes can act as critical orifices in these scenarios.

Nimh and alkaleaks, or 1.5 v li-ions don't really vent that way, its MOSTLY primary lithium ion 3 v (123s etc) and rechargeables (3.7 v, etc).

Of course, it ALSO depends on HOW the cells is venting (With flame, etc, and, to what degree/rate, etc).

ven

Flashaholic
OMG i posted longer than TEEJ:laughing:

Its a bit unfair that............

I have had my weetabix:p

N_N_R

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, guys :)) Yeah, everything you all say seems pretty logic. This all occurred to me last night when I went to bed and was ordering next to my pillow: a remote, a phone, a Fenix.... another Fenix.. :X And thought: wtf are you sleeping with..

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replies, guys :)) Yeah, everything you all say seems pretty logic. This all occurred to me last night when I went to bed and was ordering next to my pillow: a remote, a phone, a Fenix.... another Fenix.. :X And thought: wtf are you sleeping with..

I would be more worried when your a grandma................you will be sleeping with a grandad:p

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Without a vessel to contain expanding gases, there's not much of an explosion. This is why a pipe BOMB works better than a pile of gunpowder, etc. The flashlight's body acts as the pipe.

The thinner the walls, and the flimsier the flashlight's boards and threads and caps, etc...the less of a blast. The more robust the light, and the harder it is for the expanding gases to escape, the worse the resulting damage.

As mentioned of course, this is an EXTREMELY rare occurance, one that is avoided by not using damaged and/or cheap knoockoff/counterfeit cells, etc, and basic maintenance, such as not using two cells in parallel with different internal resistances/states of charge, using a decent charger, etc.

It's like Hollywood portrays, anything flammable is explosive, with or without compression :thinking::shrug:

in all seriousness, there was a member here who's friend was showing him his 12 XML *****fire light running several cheap cells in series and nearly got his thumbs blown off when actuating the switch. Using new quality batteries will greatly reduce the risk of your flashlight becoming a pipe bomb, and proper care of those batteries will reduce the risk even further. Pop in a pcb and your batteries SHOULD be pretty much :poof: proof.

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
It's like Hollywood portrays, anything flammable is explosive, with or without compression :thinking::shrug:

in all seriousness, there was a member here who's friend was showing him his 12 XML *****fire light running several cheap cells in series and nearly got his thumbs blown off when actuating the switch. Using new quality batteries will greatly reduce the risk of your flashlight becoming a pipe bomb, and proper care of those batteries will reduce the risk even further. Pop in a pcb and your batteries SHOULD be pretty much :poof: proof.

Jnieporte is still having respiration problems...