Can I use 3.7v 18650 Batteries in a TK22?

Macatron

Hello! I'm new to the EDC flashlight world, and I just purchased my first awesome flashlight. I got a Fenix TK22, and I absolutely LOVE it! Anyway, I was reading the insert that came with it and noticed that it said to be "cautious" when using 3.7v 18650 batteries. I have two of these batteries that I've been using in my cheap-o flashlights, so I'd planned on using them in my new one. Should I be worried about anything? I don't want to ruin my new TK22. Thanks! :D

Fred_the_red

There is an abundance of counterfeit or inferior quality 18650 batteries on the market which is what the caution warning is referring to. Lithium is a fairly volatile compound so it's best to avoid these crappy batteries. For the uninformed/average consumer, it's not terribly easy to notice the difference so it's always a good thing to ask someone more experienced (like the users of this forum). Can you post a picture of your batteries? We'll be able to tell you whether or not they are decent.

Str8stroke

Welcome to the forum!

I would view the Cautionary warning for your person, not your light. Fred is right on too.

Quick Battery Schooling: I suggest using quality cells. Like Panasonic, Sanyo, Xstar, Fenix, Nitecore, Olight and so on. Efest is another good brand. Look up RTDvapor.com they have some very good stuff. Great people too. The vendors here http://www.cpfclassifieds.com and MTnElectronics. Those should get you going. Oh, get a quality charger too. After these are charged, don't leave them sitting on the charger for storage. Finally, look for Button Top, protected cells. The protected cell are great for new folks. They will keep you from over discharging the cells. Draining them till they are totally dead is not a safe idea.
Hope that helps you a little. Read on my friend and enjoy learning. In this hobby, it never ends.

Macatron

152ou87.jpg
[/IMG]

Hey, thanks for warm welcome and information! :D Both of the batteries I have are from cheap CREE flashlights I'd purchased on Amazon. This picture is the one I got with my Outlight brand flashlight. I can't remember the brand of the other one, but I know it's generic (it's currently in my old flashlight at work). That being said, will these be ok, or should I purchase one of the other brands that were recommended?

CelticCross74

ah the great TK22!! I have my 3rd on order cadet grey NW gonna take a month to get to me and cannot wait. If you have the 2014 TK22 of course you can use 18650's! By all means take in the advice of the other members on what the good cells are and where to get them. I run 3500mah 10 amp Keeppower 18650's from illumn.com almost exclusively but in order to get max output of my 2014 TK22 I use Panasonic 2xCR123's. Welcome to the forum! TK22 is a hell of a light!

herektir

I'm sure they would be. Fenix branded batteries tend to be spendy for what you get in my opinion as those are 2300mah batteries, you can get good 3500mah batteries. I use panasonic 18650ga cell in my tk22. It suffers little voltage sag at 3 amp draw considering its designed to be up to 10amp continous. Low voltage sag means longer running high modes. That charger i dont know anyting about.

Fred_the_red

Hey, thanks for warm welcome and information! :D Both of the batteries I have are from cheap CREE flashlights I'd purchased on Amazon. This picture is the one I got with my Outlight brand flashlight. I can't remember the brand of the other one, but I know it's generic (it's currently in my old flashlight at work). That being said, will these be ok, or should I purchase one of the other brands that were recommended?

The batteries in the picture you linked are notorious counterfeits/inferior quality batteries and I honestly would say they are even dangerous. I would strongly recommend disposing of them and also disposing of the charger you received.

If you want to keep it simple, just purchase either an Olight, Nitecore, or Fenix branded 18650. You'll want at least a 2600mAh capacity but can go up to 3500mAh~ if you don't mind splurging. If you can find KeepPower 18650s, those are also great (these batteries are all mostly identical so don't get too hung up on brand names, just make sure the brand you're buying is reputable) like the ones I just mentioned. Brands like TakLite or Orbtronic are KeepPower re-wraps so they are good buys too if you can find a better deal from them.

Any of these would be great:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LUGL8L8/?tag=cpf0b6-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F58XVYE/?tag=cpf0b6-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W2L7KKI/?tag=cpf0b6-20

For chargers, go with either a Nitecore or an XTAR. Nitecore UM10 and XTAR MC1 or MC1 Plus are both excellent single channel USB chargers. If you want to get a little freaky, you can get some dual channels like the Nitecore i2/d2 which will let you charge more than one battery at a time.

Macatron

The batteries in the picture you linked are notorious counterfeits/inferior quality batteries and I honestly would say they are even dangerous. I would strongly recommend disposing of them and also disposing of the charger you received.

If you want to keep it simple, just purchase either an Olight, Nitecore, or Fenix branded 18650. You'll want at least a 2600mAh capacity but can go up to 3500mAh~ if you don't mind splurging. If you can find KeepPower 18650s, those are also great (these batteries are all mostly identical so don't get too hung up on brand names, just make sure the brand you're buying is reputable) like the ones I just mentioned. Brands like TakLite or Orbtronic are KeepPower re-wraps so they are good buys too if you can find a better deal from them.

Any of these would be great:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LUGL8L8/?tag=cpf0b6-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F58XVYE/?tag=cpf0b6-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W2L7KKI/?tag=cpf0b6-20

For chargers, go with either a Nitecore or an XTAR. Nitecore UM10 and XTAR MC1 or MC1 Plus are both excellent single channel USB chargers. If you want to get a little freaky, you can get some dual channels like the Nitecore i2/d2 which will let you charge more than one battery at a time.

Thanks for all of the info, Fred_the_red! :) I actually ended up ordering a Nitecore D2 and a pair of protected Orbtronic 3400mAh 3.7v 18650s yesterday. :) I got two replies back from Fenix customer support saying that I'd be safe running 3.7v batteries as long as they were protected and good quality, and I thought the Orbtronics were the best deal for my money.

Thanks for the heads up on the battery I posted too. I'll be sure to get rid of it ASAP. The other generic battery I have is a Dulex 18650 3400mah Lithium-Ion Battery. It says that it's protected and made in Japan right on the battery, so I'm wondering if I should keep it in the rotation. Any clue if this is a decent battery or not?

Here's a link with a picture:
http://simplyledbulbs.com/Dulex-18650-3400mah-Lithium-Ion-Battery.html

Fred_the_red

Thanks for all of the info, Fred_the_red! :) I actually ended up ordering a Nitecore D2 and a pair of protected Orbtronic 3400mAh 3.7v 18650s yesterday. :) I got two replies back from Fenix customer support saying that I'd be safe running 3.7v batteries as long as they were protected and good quality, and I thought the Orbtronics were the best deal for my money.

Thanks for the heads up on the battery I posted too. I'll be sure to get rid of it ASAP. The other generic battery I have is a Dulex 18650 3400mah Lithium-Ion Battery. It says that it's protected and made in Japan right on the battery, so I'm wondering if I should keep it in the rotation. Any clue if this is a decent battery or not?

Here's a link with a picture:
http://simplyledbulbs.com/Dulex-18650-3400mah-Lithium-Ion-Battery.html

Orbtronic are KeepPower re-wraps, so those will work perfect. Great buy.

I have never heard of Dulex, and all the listings I can find of them are being sold with crappy chargers which is a huge red flag. Can you weigh them? They should weigh 55~ grams.

Macatron

Orbtronic are KeepPower re-wraps, so those will work perfect. Great buy.

I have never heard of Dulex, and all the listings I can find of them are being sold with crappy chargers which is a huge red flag. Can you weigh them? They should weigh 55~ grams.

Well, I just weighed it and it's only 43 grams, so does that mean it's a low quality battery without protection?

herektir

Orbtronic and keeppower are rewrapped panasonics, sanyos or lg, not orbtronic rewrapping keeppower.