can leds get better?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
or are they at as high as they can be for lumens per watt?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Yes they can get better in many ways.
The lumens/watt gains are not going to be remarkable likely
Higher output LEDs will be more available
Better color rendition
Cheaper price per watt at better quality output
The issue we have now is the high lumens/watt are at low wattage output hopefully the lumens/watt at higher wattages
will be better. Getting 200 lumens/watt at 1 watt may be good but it drops at 10watts and more even higher wattage.

Maybe they will have a newer type of LED that doesn't have the limitations current tech does.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think we'll continue to see incremental improvements in phosphor blends and thermal management, but that efficiency drop at higher wattages is largely a function of the knee of the transfer curve of the semiconductor material. All diodes max out at some point where any further increase in current produces little to no more increase in output. I can see some room for improvement in LED clusters and related optics though.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
As the demand/supply thing adjusts there'll likely be LED adjustments. At one point when nobody had a VCR they sold fast. Improvements occured and a state of the art player was outdated seemingly before you got it home. When everybody had one and sales plummeted the manufacturers made them more tailored for either top of the line buyers or rock bottom price buyers. Along came the dvd player and no more improvements to the VCR took place.

Now we are near that point with LED's. Homes, streetlights, tools, appliances, you name it have gone the LED route. So the shift will occur like the VCR days in my estimation.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Of course they can get better. I want my funeral lit up with torches that use the brightest and newest LEDs! Then I want to be cremated. Have my friends take handfuls of my ashes.... and throw them into the faces of all the toxic people I've met in life.

"What's this!?"

"Mono says 'Hi.'" 🙋‍♂️

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Of course they can get better. I want my funeral lit up with torches that use the brightest and newest LEDs! Then I want to be cremated. Have my friends take handfuls of my ashes.... and throw them into the faces of all the toxic people I've met in life.

"What's this!?"

"Mono says 'Hi.'" 🙋‍♂️
You don't want everyone to have a powerful laser and all together incinerate your body with them.