Can Someone post a photo of RCR123 / 16340 / 14500 /18650 side by side please.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
I am only window shopping at the moment but eventually want to get a light for EDC, it would be 2-4 inches idealy as it will be for cliping onto a belt loop or pocket carry or onto a set of keys, but before I can even begin looking I need to decide on power source.

I know 18650 will be to big for this, I cant decide on power source because I want a compromise between output / size.
I will be wanting a high 300-500LM burst mode (But will also want lower modes + Moonlight mode maby along with a simple UI) I need a battery that can provide power for this and don't know which battery of these would be best for this.

I will be looking at something like the EgalTac D25C as an example which uses CR123A (I dont know if it takes RCR123) just want to know which battery I would be looking at using to get this out of a small package.

I have in the mail a WP2Mk2 Charger so ideal it would be able to be charged with this.

Thanks.

benokend

Newly Enlightened
There are dimensions listed for these battery sizes several places. Many are named by lenght and width. Example 18650 18mm diameter by 65mm lenght. While this is not exactly true it should get you close. With batteries named in this manner there can be some variance depending if they have circut protection added or buttons presten vs being flattop.

This link is to a image that I found by doing a quick google search.
http://www.supplierlist.com/prod_img/greatpower/95541_Lithium_ion_Battery_18650_2200mAh_.jpg

This one shows size info, comparisons of stacked batteries, as well as battery data.
http://lygte-info.dk/info/CR123A and rechargeable substitutes UK.html

Other info copied from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes
Physical interchangeability[edit]

Cylindrical cells typically have a positive terminal nub at one end, and a flat negative terminal at the other. A cell with a nub on the positive terminal is called a button-top, and a cell without a positive nub is called a flat-top. Two different cells of the same nominal size, e.g. two 18650 cells, may have different diameter buttons if made by different manufacturers, and this can lead to incompatibility with devices. Flat-top cells cannot be used in series without modification or soldering into position, because the flat positive terminal of one cell cannot contact with the next cell's negative terminal. Rarely however, a manufacturer may include tiny bumps on the negative terminal to allow flat-tops to be used in series.
It is important to check the battery contacts in a device before attempting to install cells, because some will not work with flat-tops or with button-tops whose buttons are the wrong diameter. Some devices have a small bump or spring where the positive terminal of the cell connects, and this allows the use of either button- or flat-top cells. Other devices have a flat area that can only be contacted by a button-top. In order to prevent damage if a cell is inserted in reverse, some devices have a raised plastic ring around the positive contact. This stops the flat negative end of a cell from making connection accidentally, and also stops the positive end of a flat-top or of a button-top with too large a button from connecting.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
There are dimensions listed for these battery sizes several places. Many are named by lenght and width. Example 18650 18mm diameter by 65mm lenght. While this is not exactly true it should get you close. With batteries named in this manner there can be some variance depending if they have circut protection added or buttons presten vs being flattop.

This link is to a image that I found by doing a quick google search.
http://www.supplierlist.com/prod_img/greatpower/95541_Lithium_ion_Battery_18650_2200mAh_.jpg

This one shows size info, comparisons of stacked batteries, as well as battery data.
http://lygte-info.dk/info/CR123A and rechargeable substitutes UK.html

Thank you for the links, I also understand the names related to size, and the exceptions such as the high capacity protected 18650s are really more like 19700s.

But its hard to get perspective using a ruler or tape measure, not the same as seeing them next to each other which again is not the same as having them I'm real life.

Last edited:

Aahhyes68

Newly Enlightened
I did look on Google but clearly I was searching for the wrong things.

So sorry if this seems a bit of a pointless thread.

I personally have already learned something in this thread so no, I do not think it's useless. I don't know why some people take the time to post "Google it" or something similar instead
of just moving on. There were a couple useful posts here and I appreciated reading them. :)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ndescent-guide-compatability-comparison-chart

You may be aware of this information already but I sure as heck found it usefull. Great post.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
8675824042_2527fffd0b_b.jpg

I took this one not too long ago for someone else who asked a similar question.

Hope it helps!

:D

From left to right:

The 10440 is like a AAA, the 14500 is like an AA, the CR123 primaries are to the left of 18350 rechargeables. The next four are 18650s from Fastech, Eagletac, Xtar and Callies Kustoms (All 3400 Mah), and the gray one is an IMR 18650 (2250 Mah). (Not in pic, but the RCR123 and 16340 are the same size as the CR123 that are in the pic)

Last edited:

Aahhyes68

Newly Enlightened
<SNIP>

I took this one not too long ago for someone else who asked a similar question.

Hope it helps!

:D

From left to right:

The 10440 is like a AAA, the 14500 is like an AA, the CR123 primaries are to the left of 18350 rechargeables. The next four are 18650s from Fastech, Eagletac, Xtar and Callies Kustoms (All 3400 Mah), and the gray one is an IMR 18650 (2250 Mah). (Not in pic, but the RCR123 and 16340 are the same size as the CR123 that are in the pic)

Great pic, TEEJ.. Thank you. I'm new to anything besides Eneloops and recently discovering the 18650's. The area where I need to really grasp is the voltage differences in the batteries in regards to the flashlights I own. I almost
ordered a few RCR123's for my SF's but if I hadn't stumbled across a thread here I would have fried my lights... I'm looking at 16650's and 17650's (I guess) as suitable substitutes for primaries. I'm still reading.... Lol..