Can we talk about alcoholic beverages?

Chance shoots ..........HE SCORES!!!!

IMG_2002.jpeg

There were only two on the shelf, accompanied by a sign reading - Due to high demand and supply issues only one per customer.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chance shoots ..........HE SCORES!!!!

View attachment 29367

There were only two on the shelf, accompanied by a sign reading - Due to high demand and supply issues only one per customer.

Nice! Hibiki is an awesome blend. You got lucky to find it.

I got lucky enough to find this:

FC133033-26EC-4DDF-9B0A-C88B09DDD6CE.jpeg

So I have discovered that I am not a heavily peated malt kind of guy.

Teacher's isn't really peated, though I can see where one could taste it there. Just make sure you stay away from anything Islay!!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Teacher's isn't really peated, though I can see where one could taste it there. Just make sure you stay away from anything Islay!!
Label states something to the effect of...
fully smoked peated single malt whisky from The Ardmore distillery

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Really peated" like, say, Ardbeg, or Laphroaig, or Lagavulin, or Caol Ila. Teachers has little smokiness/peat compared to those.

Perhaps a scotch aged in sherry barrels would be more palatable. I'm not sure of many cheaper sherried scotch though besides Grants. I do have this sherry finished Balvenie and can attest to its non-peat/smoke, but it's not cheap. ;)

C1879861-2492-4283-A83E-2C8F81BDD441.jpeg

idleprocess

Flashaholic
"Really peated" like, say, Ardbeg, or Laphroaig, or Lagavulin, or Caol Ila. Teachers has little smokiness/peat compared to those.
I'll try to keep those in mind to avoid next time I'm exploring selections.

What I've I found I enjoy so far:
  • aforementioned Buchanan DeLuxe
  • The Glenlivet 12 Year Old Single Malt
  • Glenfiddich 12 Year Old Single Malt
  • Johnny Walker Black Label 12 Year Old
  • Speyburn Bradan Orach Highland Single Malt
My sense of smell is far from acute so many of the subtleties are lost on me - the pedigree and provenance of more expensive marquees are probably a waste for me.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I've I found I enjoy so far:
  • aforementioned Buchanan DeLuxe
  • The Glenlivet 12 Year Old Single Malt
  • Glenfiddich 12 Year Old Single Malt
  • Johnny Walker Black Label 12 Year Old
  • Speyburn Bradan Orach Highland Single Malt

Speyside.

Unlike bourbon, scotch is expensive to try to figure out what you like. Given your list, you need to look for a dram from a Speyside distillery. Tons of info out there, but here is a general breakdown...

Those guys are hilarious, I've watched some of their other reviews.

A month or so back, I got to thinking I was gunna be like Raylan Givens and enjoy me a glass of kentucky's finest Woodford Reserve Double Oaked straight bourbon whiskey _ neat. I was wrong on two accounts.
1. I'm no Raylan Givens.
2. I did not enjoy drinking straight bourbon whiskey _ neat.

The TOKI, on the other hand, makes a wonderfully light Highball. It's my understanding that the Highball is the only other cocktail James Bond ever drank.

Gardiner. Chauncey Gardiner. 😄

idleprocess

Flashaholic
A month or so back, I got to thinking I was gunna be like Raylan Givens and enjoy me a glass of kentucky's finest Woodford Reserve Double Oaked straight bourbon whiskey _ neat. I was wrong on two accounts.
1. I'm no Raylan Givens.
2. I did not enjoy drinking straight bourbon whiskey _ neat.
I consumed a fifth of Double Oaked circa April 2020. While I enjoyed it, it was pricey by my standards and I'm no connoisseur so I've not procured another.

That being said, I do enjoy a local distillery's blended whiskey offering as a fire for effect beverage. They used to make more upmarket bourbons that I sampled all of once going a decade-plus ago, however the pandemic seemingly did a number on their plans so I continue to buy their lower-tier product while awaiting the resumption of production of their more premium label product.

I consumed a fifth of Double Oaked circa April 2020. While I enjoyed it, it was pricey by my standards and I'm no connoisseur so I've not procured another.

That being said, I do enjoy a local distillery's blended whiskey offering as a fire for effect beverage. They used to make more upmarket bourbons that I sampled all of once going a decade-plus ago, however the pandemic seemingly did a number on their plans so I continue to buy their lower-tier product while awaiting the resumption of production of their more premium label product.

How did you partake it? It's also pricy by my standards. Still, I'm only able to enjoy it in mixed cocktails. I know. I'll show myself the door.

Nice! Hibiki is an awesome blend. You got lucky to find it.

I got lucky enough to find this:

View attachment 29494

I thought I'd replied to you post, wacbzz. Please don't think I was ignoring your good fortune. With that being stated -

DUDE! I don't think that's even being produced anymore. I read their brand has become so popular they're not able to age anymore. :clap:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
How did you partake it?
There may well be a better way, but neat one shot at a time is how I consume it.

This was likely in the company of other bourbon and whiskey I was drinking at the time - Evan Williams Single Barrel, Old Overholt Rye, George ****el Bottled-in-bond, 1792, and/or the local stuff - Bendt No. 5 (easily found in DFW, some distribution in the rest of TX, a smattering of outlets in CA, IL, OK, NM).

Still, I'm only able to enjoy it in mixed cocktails. I know. I'll show myself the door.
I didn't exactly savor it liquor snob style myself - decanting it, swirling it around in a rocking whiskey glass, sniffing it elaborately, sipping it slowly to contemplate its initial bite + flavor + aftertaste.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im cutting down im so stressed lately .i dont want to drnk to much and loose my temper. but i love fire whisky

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I'd replied to you post, wacbzz. Please don't think I was ignoring your good fortune. With that being stated -

DUDE! I don't think that's even being produced anymore. I read their brand has become so popular they're not able to age anymore. :clap:
All good Sir!

I heard the exact same thing while eating at a Japanese restaurant in Atlanta this past week (FUDO). The owner and I were discussing his scotch list - impressive - and I showed him the Yamazaki photo. He advised me to try to find another bottle and store it because the distillery is ceasing the production of all their single malts and moving to blends only.

I had some Ardbeg 10 while my wife was eating some edamame and he poured me a dram of this...

6621835E-4A70-431F-8494-F05ED864E1F7.jpeg

Not a JW Green Label, but pretty good for a 46% blend.