can you scratch HA III ?

Geologist

Enlightened
I was playing around with a V70 and a C2 HAIII. The light was stuck tailcap first into the holster and upon removal, the spring binded a bit on the tailcap knurling, putting a nice little scratch on the tailcap knurling. Should it be expected that the knulring would be more easily scratched?
btw the tailcap on the C2 is the stock tailcap. Thanks for any expert advice.

Spacemarine

Enlightened
Are you sure that the tailcap is scratched? If you rub the surface of a softer metal against HAIII, the HAIII might look scratched, but only the softer metal got scratched and is now on the surface of the HAIII.

You can test this by taking a rubber and rubbing it on the HAIII.

-----------

Edit: Sorry, rubber was obviously the wrong word, I meant eraser. The German word for eraser is "Radierer", that's why I confused it with "rubber". Thanks ACMarina!

code09

Enlightened
The springs of the v70 holsters are prone to scratching your tailcap.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
An eraser, to clarify for the yankees /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Are you sure that it's HAIII? I've tried numerous times to scratch my tough lights to no avail. .

Geologist

Enlightened
It is only on the knurling - I tried the eraser, but no dice. It is a C2 HA version original tailcap.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I might add... the HA III finish is extremely durable but is still not "scratch proof"...best thing ultimately is to not expose it to any metal object. As far as holsters go, the nylon pouch will be the best protection for carrying.

UVvis

Enlightened
You should see the finish on some of the Type III hard anodized M16's coming back from Iraq. They look sandblasted and well loved/used.

The V70 is more for speed of draw and positive retention than finish preservation.

jtice

Flashaholic
I have scratched the heck out of HA III.
Yea, its tough stuff, but I dont care what anyone says, for me, HA III is a VERY good protection against pocket wear, against keys, coins etc,

BUT, you cant through it in the muddy sand, syep on it, and expect it to be fine.
I have had a few HA III lights with me through caves, they come out ugly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Yea, its nice stuff, WAY better than other "HA", but its not bullet proof.

mokona2

Enlightened
As durable as HA III is stated to be, it isn't entirely scratch proof.. I bounced my L2 off of a concrete sidewalk and the bezel and tailcap have the ding marks to prove it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif Generally, any sharp edges will become worn off first (like the knurling on the tailcap).

Geologist

Enlightened
Well, chalk up one for experience! New rule of thumb - no C2 or 6P in the V70. The G2 works great - too bad now I need a matching G2 (black). Can't wait till the 2005 models are available!

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Arc AAA that I am carrying is pretty scratched up--even though I've babied it. I'm wondering if some HA is better than others?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HAIII on my Peak AAA is showing "war wounds" as I have not babied it for the last 6 months. It is soooo much better than HAII though, much better.

Scratches, dings and wear marks are just a way to let you know it is being used. My favorite tools look that way... used.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My longbow micra has scratched and you can actually see the silver metal underneath. Very small scratches, but it still shouldnt scratch right?

-David

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
My longbow micra has scratched and you can actually see the silver metal underneath. Very small scratches, but it still shouldnt scratch right?

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

Your Micra is Anodize-2 (since you have the black one). It will scratch if rubbed again metal or abrasive material. Do not leave it loose with coins. Your best option is using a holster my opinion says. Thankfully, scratching only affects looks--your Micra will give you MANY MANY good years of service even with the scratches.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but where can I get a holster that I can fit the micra and the attached boosterhead?

-David

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
Pelican M1 holster maybe?

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it a try. I've never seen the Booster head, so I don't really know its size.

Gander_Man

Newly Enlightened
MOST of the time someone believes they've scratched Type 3 hard ano they've actually damaged the soft metal substrate the finish is applied to and it in effect "tears open" the surface of the finish...unless of course your talking about guys like Kiessling or Frenchyled who can scratch their EDC's just by carrying them in their pockets (that must be filled with diamonds to build the kind of Collections THEY have!!). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
- Russ