Cant decide on more flood or throw

harrycolez

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____Up to $100.

3) Format:
____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)

5) Emitter/Light source:
____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?
____2 x 18650

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
____Any size switch will do.
____I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

I've been looking at the Crelant 7G5CS and the Fenix TK35 (and the Sunwayman T45C) but can't decide on the flood or throw. The Crelant has more throw and has a longer runtime on high but is quite a bit bigger.
It is for outdoors in the desert where there are mostly open but hilly areas.

So what does everyone think? Flood, throw, or a different light?
Thank you for your time

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is for outdoors in the desert where there are mostly open but hilly areas.
In that case: mostly throw, I'd say. As long as the light has some spill, you can see where you're going. A good throw helps you spot what's on the next hill / down in the 'valley'.

A floody light is more useful in a (dense?) forest or indoors.

phosphor

Enlightened
....the real question is : how far do you want to see ? Do you need to see across to the next hill, or only require enough floody light to illuminate your walk over to it without tripping over something and falling flat on your face ?

Honestly....while it may not be very "sexy" all you need is a decent headlight and a variable hand-held with a high that will do about 1 lux at 75-100 meters. Unless you want to spot critters in the far off.

Last edited:

braddy

Enlightened
For the desert I want respectable throw, but a lot of flood, I don't ever want a duplicate of a night I had in the 1970s, involving rattlesnakes everywhere and me with two miles to go to the car after coming off of a mountain too late in the evening.

phosphor

Enlightened
For the desert I want respectable throw, but a lot of flood, I don't ever want a duplicate of a night I had in the 1970s, involving rattlesnakes everywhere and me with two miles to go to the car after coming off of a mountain too late in the evening.
yikes !...that had to be an un-nerving experience !

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'd imagine that you would want more throw than flood. Actually probably two lights would be better.
One, perhaps a headlamp for moving about from place to place, and then a thrower for looking out at a distance.
In other words, use a compact light for your general movement, and then every 200-300 yards, pull out the thrower and scan out in the distance.

BTW, from one of the reviews I read, the crealant was measured at 56K cd, not the advertised 116K. That'll give you one lux at 236 yards.
The TK35 is rated at 29K cd which will give you one lux at 170 yards.

You might want to look at the supbeam K40 or the Thrunite TN31 I think they are at about 100K cd and will give you one lux at 316 yards.

harrycolez

Newly Enlightened
Yea a real floody headlamp that will light up immediately around my feet is next on my list.

Ive looked at the TN31 and really like it but am unsure if I really want to spend the cash on it or a similar light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Yea a real floody headlamp that will light up immediately around my feet is next on my list.

Ive looked at the TN31 and really like it but am unsure if I really want to spend the cash on it or a similar light.

I understand, my first foray into SAR set me back about $450. Two lights, eight 3400 mah 18650s and a charger. You are going to need enough batteries to get you through the night.

Here's a suggestion. Get yourself 3-4 3400 mah 186530's and a charger. That'll set you back $80-$100, but you'll need them for whatever light/s you get.
See if you can still find a Defiant Super Thrower. Last time I saw them they were going for $15.00. Its a 3 C cell light, but with a spacer it'll run on an 18650 and out-throw the TK35. Than save your pennies, and get yourself the TN31 or something in its class.

harrycolez

Newly Enlightened
That sounds like a pretty good plan. I have an 2x 18650 charger. Is that ok?

Poppy

Flashaholic
That sounds like a pretty good plan. I have an 2x 18650 charger. Is that ok?

Yes. The key part of the plan is that you get QUALITY batteries, not crapxFire on ebay. When I started, it was recommended that I get EagleTac 3400 mah batteries. They're going for ~ $19 each. They have both overcharge, and undercharge protection, and will deliver what they are rated at.

braddy

Enlightened
You can get Panasonic protected 3400s, at the price of 2 for $17.00 from a couple of reputable places.

braddy

Enlightened
Wallbuys has them 2 for $16.97 and I just bought 2 from Fasttech at $16.98 which arrived last Tuesday and fit my new PD35.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Wallbuys has them 2 for $16.97 and I just bought 2 from Fasttech at $16.98 which arrived last Tuesday and fit my new PD35.

Thanks braddy.

HarryC,
Since you have a charger, and can get the batteries at a lower price, you might do well to get the Crealant, instead of the Defiant. It'll be a much better quality light.

adnj

Enlightened
Did you look at the new Fenix that has two emitters? One is throw and the other is flood? (I didn't read through the entire thread)

Sent using Tapatalk

harrycolez

Newly Enlightened
Yea i thought it looks pretty cool but am waiting for it to be released so theres a bit more info on it.

ven

Flashaholic
I would be looking at the fenix tk75,little larger but looks an awesome thrower with great flood(best of both),and as mentioned by adnj the new fenix tk51...........this is my next purchase:D

Theron

Newly Enlightened
A big reason most of my lights are very floody. I do a lot of night hiking, and sometimes snakes like to lie on the trails/steps.