Cars, Man

turbodog

Flashaholic
Here, this should help.

Ogjtq7r.jpg

jtr1962

Flashaholic
One would think the words of a moderator would be honored for the wisdom, not to mention the ability to bring about the fulfillment pf the recommendations.

A casual browsing of the thread, as it was before the topic changed, will reveal conclusively the purpose and theme of this thread.

My recommendation that the off-topic subject be taken elsewhere, should be taken soon.
Before anyone does that again (i.e. I see one attempt at it was already shut down) exactly what subjects would such a thread be allowed to discuss? I don't feel like writing long, detailed replies only to have everything I wrote gone, as was just the case in that new thread.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Better than what I was reading about 5+ years ago where it was something closer to 75%, but that's a lot of cost and complexity just to avoid plugging in.
The real value of inductive charging is the ability to recharge while in motion, not while stationary, where I agree it's a lot of waste just to avoid connecting a plug. If we can get it to work reasonably well, envision charging strips every 10 miles along highways, negating the need for batteries with hundreds of miles of range. This saves weight, and makes the range issue nearly moot.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+
Globally, the automobile industry is going electric.
It's impossible to talk about cars & the industry change, without talking about how to get electrons into those vehicles.

Personally I don't like it, but accept it.

I'm a huge motorsports fan, a fantastic engine note, one that raises the hair on the back of your neck, is everything.
stand eight feet behind a mid layout 5.2L V10 race motor, with basically just headers out the back, as it starts up.

nbp

Flashaholic
Before anyone does that again (i.e. I see one attempt at it was already shut down) exactly what subjects would such a thread be allowed to discuss? I don't feel like writing long, detailed replies only to have everything I wrote gone, as was just the case in that new thread.

I hadn't seen that one until you mentioned it. Reviewing that post, it was a very specifically political angle on it. I think if you stick to the actual science of fuels and energy you'd be just fine. There used to be a CPF Green forum, but as that is no longer active, the Cafe is probably the place for it. If one wants to talk about the political ramifications of oil, that is for the UG. I think that's fair, right?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I hadn't seen that one until you mentioned it. Reviewing that post, it was a very specifically political angle on it. I think if you stick to the actual science of fuels and energy you'd be just fine. There used to be a CPF Green forum, but as that is no longer active, the Cafe is probably the place for it. If one wants to talk about the political ramifications of oil, that is for the UG. I think that's fair, right?
Well, I noted the political angle of the original post but I specifically avoided it in my reply. I'd much prefer to stick to the technical aspects anyway. It's much more interesting.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
+
Globally, the automobile industry is going electric.
It's impossible to talk about cars & the industry change, without talking about how to get electrons into those vehicles.
Yep. EVs are poised to reach price parity with ICEs by 2024 or 2025. After that they'll actually cost less. TCO is already less, even with the current higher purchase price.

Personally I don't like it, but accept it.
I like it personally. Much less noise, no exhaust fumes, far less maintenance. In a big city especially those are all huge pluses.

nbp

Flashaholic
Well, I noted the political angle of the original post but I specifically avoided it in my reply. I'd much prefer to stick to the technical aspects anyway. It's much more interesting.

No reply is visible - it must have been locked while you were composing. In any case, you are a long timer here and know how it works so I'm sure your posts would be on topic. Feel free to start an appropriate thread if you like.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
No reply is visible - it must have been locked while you were composing. In any case, you are a long timer here and know how it works so I'm sure your posts would be on topic. Feel free to start an appropriate thread if you like.
Yeah, that's what it looks like happened. I tried posting after the thread was already locked. I'll consider started a thread discussing this subject purely on its technical merits.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The real value of inductive charging is the ability to recharge while in motion, not while stationary, where I agree it's a lot of waste just to avoid connecting a plug. If we can get it to work reasonably well, envision charging strips every 10 miles along highways, negating the need for batteries with hundreds of miles of range. This saves weight, and makes the range issue nearly moot.

I get the feeling that the expense of installing such zones will be distinctly uneconomic. Spacing out charging stations every ~2 hours along major corridors like Tesla has been doing with their supercharger network - and other charging networks are also doing - seems to be satisfying the needs of EV owners to occasionally travel long distances.

EDIT: Also, the EVs of ~20 years ago had such limited range envelopes that genuinely limited their appeal. While a 400 highway mile range is probably an excessive goal for a commuter vehicle using today's li-ion technology, the >200 mile range being offered by most manufacturers these days seems to not only cover the overwhelming majority of use cases but also allows for occasional long-distance travel, albeit at a slower pace than ICE vehicles.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

turbodog, I got out of bed to write this,,
In my post quoting your picture, when I said 'did you' what I was saying/meaning was 'did you get one' because Cobras are more than just historic.

hope that makes sense

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
One would think the words of a moderator would be honored for the wisdom, not to mention the ability to bring about the fulfillment pf the recommendations. A casual browsing of the thread, as it was before the topic changed, will reveal conclusively the purpose and theme of this thread.My recommendation that the off-topic subject be taken elsewhere, should be taken soon.
Yes Sir. I already did that. I apologize.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I get the feeling that the expense of installing such zones will be distinctly uneconomic. Spacing out charging stations every ~2 hours along major corridors like Tesla has been doing with their supercharger network - and other charging networks are also doing - seems to be satisfying the needs of EV owners to occasionally travel long distances.

EDIT: Also, the EVs of ~20 years ago had such limited range envelopes that genuinely limited their appeal. While a 400 highway mile range is probably an excessive goal for a commuter vehicle using today's li-ion technology, the >200 mile range being offered by most manufacturers these days seems to not only cover the overwhelming majority of use cases but also allows for occasional long-distance travel, albeit at a slower pace than ICE vehicles.
I agree that a 200+ mile range is probably the sweet spot for making a vehicle useful for 99% of trips most people do on a single charge. Those who do lots of long-distance trips could always opt for 400 or 500 mile range, and fast chargers if they exceed that. Then again, I've long felt a car isn't a great type of vehicle to do long-distance trips in. It's not particularly comfortable. You need to stop for bathroom breaks. You need to drive it yourself, precluding you from doing anything else. And it's not very fast, only 1/3 the speed of high-speed trains. Given all that, 200+ mile range covers most users just fine.

Given how poorly people are at predicting the economics of any new technology, it's hard to say if my idea of charging zones would if fact be uneconomic. If the cost of implementing it came down dramatically it might in fact be viable. Or not.

turbodog

Flashaholic
+

turbodog, I got out of bed to write this,,
In my post quoting your picture, when I said 'did you' what I was saying/meaning was 'did you get one' because Cobras are more than just historic.

hope that makes sense

I was ready to buy the car in question... checked it out, test drove it, had cashier's check, etc. Brakes were less than expected so I got scared off. Looks like they needed either pad deglazing, pad replacement with different compound, or possibly master cylinder adjustment.

Now that I've had time to think about it... if my shoulder does NOT require surgery (bone spur versus severe sprain), I will be picking up the phone and seeing if it is still available.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was ready to buy the car in question... checked it out, test drove it, had cashier's check, etc. Brakes were less than expected so I got scared off. Looks like they needed either pad deglazing, pad replacement with different compound, or possibly master cylinder adjustment.

Now that I've had time to think about it... if my shoulder does NOT require surgery (bone spur versus severe sprain), I will be picking up the phone and seeing if it is still available.

+

An Uncle of mine has a Cobra kit car he got at a local auction, I'm sure it's a blast to drive, surprisingly haven't seen him drive it.

I never mentioned this in this thread, or anywhere, I have a '74 Triumph TR6 in French Blue. It has 24K on the clock, it's completely original except for a stainless exhaust & an electronic ignition.
the engine note from that straight 6 & the stainless exhaust is something to behold at around 4,000 rpms'

Sadly it hasn't been driven in a couple years since it needs a complete brake system overhaul. It sits covered.

Maybe I'll talk about my Fathers racing later...