Cell Phone battery for a light

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
What say you? Is it possible?

I have a 3.6V, measuring 4.0V on a multimeter battery, lithium. Could it be used perhaps for a direct drive light or something? Would be really useful as a backup, if it must be used light or something, requiring some crazy quick wiring or something or other, you get the idea.

The only thing I can see being a problem would be charging it, but I still have the phone itself, and charger for it, so I can charge it.

Cameron

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a few lithium cell phone batteries sitting around I got for a dollar apiece or pulled out of broken phones. I don't have any chargers to speak of for them though so I haven't bothered trying to find a use for them. The ones I have are thinner than a AAA cell so they could be used for a thin compact light for sure.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea,

Sounds like a easy, quick plan that I will have to try. I will have my eyes on the lookout for a small light of some sort that would fit this battery, then worry about sticking a 3w lux in there.

Cameron

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
They sell batteries with flashing lights and vibrators on them. It might be worth picking one up just to see how it's done.

Tritium

Enlightened
Hi Cameron, I am using Motorola Lithium Ion SNN5571A 1100mah(about the same size as the Indium battery) and SNN5705B 800mah. I use old phones for chargers as you indicated. I work for a cellular provider and these were rescued from the trash bin. I have about 10 of each so I could not let them go to waste. List is about $40 bucks each. I have run test with Electrolumens hyper circuit board with a 1 watt lux. They will power it for about 1 hour and 15 minutes before the protection circuit shuts the battery down abruptly. I have yet to build an actual light but I am working on one based on a cell phone display dummy (a gut-less phone). I might try running some in parallel for extend run time. I would be interested to see what you come up with.

Thurmond

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just saw something that could be a lithium battery for a cell phone... it was a cell phone $ blinky thing battery normal list is about $30... but was in a dollar store. looks to have about 20 or so smd leds in a dollar sign pattern that supposedly blinks when a call comes in.