Wurkkos

Celluar phone photography-boon or bane?

bykfixer

CPF Supporter
1134029D-BC83-42C6-B3C1-FADB3ABE6D1E.jpg

Here's one I did using the supplied 2.5x lens (about 100mm) then zoomed in 10x digital, which in essesence makes it a 12mp cellular camera with a 300mm zoom lens since it stays full res up to 10x. Oh, and an f2.2 aperature. The rusty fence is 300+ feet away.
Hand held too. Now with my Nikon gear I'd need a monopod to get a photo like that blur free. But the cellular camera has a stabilized sensor and some really smart algorithms to reduce the blur.

887BF3E6-9FE9-4009-A897-5562B68F7070.jpg

Here's one 5 feet from the dog using the 2.5 zoom lens.
My Nikon would have provided much more detail but overall I was happy looking at it on a 15 inch screen later.

CDFC6A2F-DF2E-44C2-A7CE-BF5848C6D204.jpg

One I did at work at a random time using the standard lens.
It was around 10:30 am because that's when I take a smoke break (to breath outdoor air instead recirculated office air). The sun was aiming straight in my face so it should have been dull and lifeless.

D2-CC17-D1-BE48-4-CC0-883-F-2-F525229-CD98.jpg

The 0.5 wide angle is around a 15mm equivilent.
And it has the same fisheye effect as a 15mm zoomy would yet if aimed at a 90 degree angle from the scene actually does a decent job at providing correct lines in the center area. A dedicated 14mm Nikon lens would cost way more than the cellular phone did so I'm pretty happy with that too.
Note, this is a shed I'm dismantling a little at a time. The walls were completely covered with pegboard. While removing said pegboard I discovered the pegboard is keeping the dilapidated building square, so the slight lean to the right on the right is after removing peg board from 3 of 4 walls. I put some back in the corners until the day it's time to fell the building.

4-A9-D2976-BF3-A-478-F-8-DAE-233-BDE03-A6-FC.jpg

Inside a 12' long shead from 6 or so feet away using the 0.5 lens.

The best part: Instead of carrying around 15 pounds of camera, lenses, a monopod and other accessories I can slip the phone in my back pocket. Now when I need professional results sure I'll get out the Nikon gear……if I can remember where I stored it last time.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

I use my phone camera constantly, it works like an evolution of the point-and-shoot. That said I use the Open Camera app, which allows me to manually set stuff like saturation, color correction, focus distance and most importantly, exposure. Doubt I'll ever go back to a stock camera app again.

Last edited:

alpg88

now how did a dime get into your groin?!?
lol, good question, i guess the tick had some money on her, lol, notice the other tick has no money, it is broke, lol, it is a male, prbly spend all his money on girls and booze.

Last edited:

alpg88

I use my phone camera constantly, it works like an evolution of hte point-and-shoot. That said I use the Open Camera app, which allows me to manually set stuff like saturation, color correction, focus distance and most importantly, exposure. Doubt I'll ever go back to a stock camera app again.

i actually never heard of that app, thanks, it sure sounds interesting, i do have a magnifying glass app, that i use to take tick pics, or any other close ups, without it phone cam can not do such clear close ups. but fully manual app sounds pretty good. the only reason why i use a old school cam is manual control.

Lynx_Arc

I've heard of the app but it varies about what the app will do your camera has to support it. The camera app on my phone has various fixes you can do in the app to photos taken and you can touch a spot on the screen and hold for a second to make auto focus key in on that spot which helped me a lot as when you have a lot of items at different distances and you want something in the middle in focus you can move the phone to have that item in the box.

bykfixer

CPF Supporter
So here's one situation where unless you get lucky the cellular phone camera cannot touch an SLR.

8-FE30530-84-C8-4-ECF-AB71-35-B2-B4-BEB96-F.jpg

Macro
The baby mantis was dancing a jig for a minute and as hard as I tried the "auto" camera kept wanting to foucus everywhere except the bug itself. Time is of the essence with wildlife photos so one does not have the luxury of waiting on the computer to decide to focus where the photographer wants it to. It finally focused near the bug after about 10 tries but by the time it got that close (to the right of the mantis was in focus) the bug had scrammed before some bird came along and had it for supper.
With an SLR I would have flipped a switch and manually focused on the mantis.

Jean-Luc Descarte

So here's one situation where unless you get lucky the cellular phone camera cannot touch an SLR.

8-FE30530-84-C8-4-ECF-AB71-35-B2-B4-BEB96-F.jpg

Macro
The baby mantis was dancing a jig for a minute and as hard as I tried the "auto" camera kept wanting to foucus everywhere except the bug itself. Time is of the essence with wildlife photos so one does not have the luxury of waiting on the computer to decide to focus where the photographer wants it to. It finally focused near the bug after about 10 tries but by the time it got that close (to the right of the mantis was in focus) the bug had scrammed before some bird came along and had it for supper.
With an SLR I would have flipped a switch and manually focused on the mantis.
Nice photo, byk! Loge seeing a new mantis picture, they're photogenic little guys.

The Open Camera app I mentioned before allows you to disable auto-focus. I keep it on 'off' and always focus my pics myself, because autofocus can be highly intrusive in dynamic shots and sometimes, the best focus is not directly centered on the target, like when you want to aim at a bit of foreground. All it takes is one tap of the finger on the screen, and presto.

bykfixer

CPF Supporter
Man I tried 'portrait' mode and found that to be very good if you have something up close and want practically no depth of field.

FF61-F9-D2-5281-464-C-9-BB0-FE3-EC239-C397.jpg

No wide angle available though. Just normal and zoom.

Last edited:

bykfixer

CPF Supporter
Is the cellular phone cam ready to be a substitute for the SLR?
Well yes, some are.

Is it ready to replace the SLR?
No, not even close.

If convenience and sharing photos for reports or with friends is at the top of the list, man these things are pretty good at that.

For professional results and picking nits (ie pixel pickers) they still have a long way to go in my view. I've certainly been enjoying the virtues of an iPhone 12 max camera. Yet to tell my Nikon gear "meet your new king?" Nah. I don't see that happening any time soon.

Dave D

I can't remember the last time that I used my DSLR!

Just before I retired in 2013 some of the young officers said to me that I must have loads of photos that I'd taken over the years!
I had to explain that in previous times we had to use wet film and carry a bulky camera around and then once we'd taken 12/24 or 36 photos we had to send it off to get it developed and await our prints or slides!

It was completely alien to them! :ROFLMAO:

Can't beat the always having it with you and compact size of a phone camera!(y)

3_gun

My issues with modern cell phones goes way beyond the camera. If it just had an OK/good camera great but the camera is part of a system that monitors everything I say, do & go. Plus wants access to all the data that may or even may not pass thru the phone in use (linked email,clouds,folders) to be seen/recorded/saved by who/how many? I'll stick to a camera connected to nothing more than my hand

AstroTurf

CPF Supporter
My issues with modern cell phones goes way beyond the camera. If it just had an OK/good camera great but the camera is part of a system that monitors everything I say, do & go. Plus wants access to all the data that may or even may not pass thru the phone in use (linked email,clouds,folders) to be seen/recorded/saved by who/how many? I'll stick to a camera connected to nothing more than my hand
i dun no lucy...

as soon as you walk by an electrical outlet... BAM

they got ya!!!

Mr. LED

@bykfixer there are some good apps for the iPhone, that let you control the camera manually (exposure, shutter and focus). Search for ProCamera or Camera+ 2.

bykfixer

CPF Supporter
0-F3-B157-A-3-D7-C-4867-9-A2-E-35-E28587-C4-E5.jpg
The Mrs and I were viewing a sunset while eating supper when a storm popped up. I doubt this photo could have been taken with a DSLR unless it was a super fast burst mode. Using an iPhone camera set for live captured the lightning bolt in 3 frames. This was the coolest one.