Celluar phone photography-boon or bane?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Today I see no need to shoot in jpg when we have such huge sd cards

Today I see no need to shoot in jpg when we have such huge sd cards

I would not say so much an issue as choice, but a cell phone camera may do a lot of processing before outputting the final image, so "RAW" loses some of its meaning, but not all. I do perceive compression still an issue.

I'd like to see some phone camera zoom shots. Say, 100 to 500 yards.
On my last vacation I found that was where my pocket digicam had significantly more detail.

A cell phone won't compete will with the 20-100x crazy zooms out there, but Samsung has 10x now, Google 5x for built in zooms on their top end phones. For me personally, I would ditch the wide angle for a proper zoom any day, but expect zoom more costly.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem that I have with cell phone cameras, is that generally speaking, not casting any shade on anyone here, but, generally speaking, the photos that I have seen posted online, people do not know how to take a decent photo. They are too lazy to move, i.e. bend down, get closer, compose a shot, make sure their shadow is not covering their subject or otherwise in the photo, etc. Okay, I know that is not the phone's fault, it can't force the idiot behind the phone to take good photos. An idiot with a Kodak Brownie is still an idiot with Apple's latest and greatest. Okay, maybe idiot is too strong--they are just uneducated in the basics of photography. But seriously, some of the photos that people post on for sale sites like Craigs List....really bad! Too far back to see any detail, and too dark, too few (hey, photos are free! Why be stingy with electrons? As cheap as memory is now...?) Sorry, just venting. I'm a cranky old curmudgeon. :rant:

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Agreed Poppy.

@Fuzzywuzzies did you use full res RAW for those iPhone pix and convert to jpeg to post them here?

I'm not using RAW on my 14. My Nikons are all set to RAW.
Not those images, but I have an app that can collect the raw files on the iPhone 14 Pro, and they are pretty reasonable, albeit extremely noisy. I've shot in manual, and using Raw, since I first began doing photography.

Funny story; the first wedding I did was accompanying the "pro" for experience, by special request of the happy couple, who were friends of mine. The "pro" took me under his wing and told me to shoot manual settings and raw files. At the time I thought it was helpful advice and did so, only realising later that he likely wanted me to mess up by shooting the hard way, and not produce any good images to compete with his.
The three-foot wide feature image on their wall, and the two duplicates in their respective parents' houses to this day - those are mine. Quite satisfying in a cheeky sort of way. And it was a great photograph that told a really humorous story, too. So that's what sold me on Manual and Raw!

I'd like to see some phone camera zoom shots. Say, 100 to 500 yards.
On my last vacation I found that was where my pocket digicam had significantly more detail.
Herein lies the rub, of course. Physical size matters - your dedicated pocket digicam has a larger sensor, larger optics…. You get the picture. (Ha ha)

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
The problem that I have with cell phone cameras, is that generally speaking, not casting any shade on anyone here, but, generally speaking, the photos that I have seen posted online, people do not know how to take a decent photo. They are too lazy to move, i.e. bend down, get closer, compose a shot, make sure their shadow is not covering their subject or otherwise in the photo, etc. Okay, I know that is not the phone's fault, it can't force the idiot behind the phone to take good photos. An idiot with a Kodak Brownie is still an idiot with Apple's latest and greatest. Okay, maybe idiot is too strong--they are just uneducated in the basics of photography. But seriously, some of the photos that people post on for sale sites like Craigs List....really bad! Too far back to see any detail, and too dark, too few (hey, photos are free! Why be stingy with electrons? As cheap as memory is now...?) Sorry, just venting. I'm a cranky old curmudgeon. :rant:

THIS!!! ^

Go Sol Man, rant 'em to the wall! :xyxgun:
:grin2:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used to use a 50mm lens only on a film camera. To get close up's you have to walk forward. To get something at a distance you have to walk toward it. Sometimes to get the entire scene, walk away from it. I got plenty of excersize too. With my digital APC sensored gear a 35mm is similar. My full frame camera has a 50mm "wedding" lens.

See, I was taught our eyes see the world through a 50mm lens. What that means is our vision in focus is about the same as a 50mm lens. The rest is out of focus peripheral that we don't really notice until it's not there.

With my iPhone 14 the 2x is very similar to using a 50mm lens. I haven't used RAW on it though because I don't really take any photos like weddings or other pro level shots with an iPhone. It's more for amusement and records. Simply put, I don't really do much photography these days, just a bunch of snap shots. Some are even kinda good.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Herein lies the rub, of course. Physical size matters - your dedicated pocket digicam has a larger sensor, larger optics…. You get the picture. (Ha ha)
True. My pocket travel camera is a well used Sony RX100 that's been all over the world. It's a 20 MP with a really sharp F1.8-4.9 Zeiss lens. Only 28-100mm but a lot of detail at full optical zoom, much more than my iPhone 13 Pro.

Our ship was anchored at least a mile from Ft. Sumter and I could barely see it in the distance, but this is the image of the fort (at high tide) from the RX100 (100mm) after tweaking.

IMG_1484.JPG

I typically use my iPhone 13 Pro for most shots, but for anything requiring a distant closeup or flash, I'll use the RX100.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
btw back in the day my dream digital camera was only able to take 640x480 photos lol. if i recall it used a floppy to store photos lol we came so far

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The world is flooded with crappy pics.
Professionals will always use dedicated cameras costing thousands upon thousands of dollars. But, nothing wrong with taking crappy pics. and sending them off to friends and family members for a smile or a laugh.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
This is my phone from family dollar got tonight 30 bucks. I am sick of dropping nice phone and my last provider who gave me a phone number from a woman who had bad credit got so many calls with them looking for her . Sucks compared to your phones above but it will do

Attachments

• IMG_20231116_203758652.jpg
    IMG_20231116_203758652.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 33

Monocrom

Flashaholic
....but it will do.
Know exactly what you mean.
According to state law, my elderly mother is entitled to a free phone with free service. But all the Providers who are in that program want to maximize profits. So, they got rid of all the inexpensive, basic models. The ones that all the elderly folks can actually use. All they had available were modern 4G smartphones. Expensive ones. State pays them for providing the free physical phones. Pays them more for more expensive models. There was no way she'd be able to use one of those. Love their excuse that older phones don't work on the 4G or 5G network.

Might be true for 5G, but not 4G! Easily found a 4G, basic flip-phone at Wal-Mart. Paid for it. Every month I pay $35.oo for service on it. May seem silly to some, but what's the point of getting something for free if the person getting it can't use it. Literally a useless free thing. Now my elderly mother has a phone she knows how to use.

One of my peeves about cell phone photography and video is when folks don't orient the camera the proper way.

I totally agree most of the time. ;)
Because sometimes vertically captures the image you want.

IMG_5120.JPG

I don't understand why the iPhone 12 transformed a Lincoln Continental into a subcompact. 😁

@MatthewMurdock - Welcome to CPF!