Changing tint with DIY "tape" filter

rainbowbrite

Newly Enlightened
I have an LED strip and have tried several different methods of changing the tint. It seems to be around 7000k or above which is just a bit to blue for me. I first tried using some yellow permanent marker. Juts a tiny dot. That got me the exact white I was after. Probably around 6000k. In several days, the marker had faded and was going back to that slightly harsh blue tone again. I then tried white electrical tape. That got it to the correct colour I was after but it reduced the light output hugely. I then tried masking tape. That has worked best. About 4 layers on my 50cm strip gets me to the colour I am after and lasts several weeks. But again, over these weeks, the tape must start to fade again and it slowly gets closer to its original colour. My strip is waterproof and it hardly gets the slightest bit of heat to it and it is on pretty much all day as it is on the back of my PC monitor. I use it for back lighting.

Can anyone else suggest another way of making it come from about 7000k to about 6000k? Or even better, another USB powered LED strip that is 6000k to start with. All the ones I have got are either this blue colour or warm white. I can't find any that are the colour of many of my LED bulbs I have at home such as my bulb from Crompton lamps. I am starting to wonder if it is possible to change the colour tone permanently.

I have a similar situation... I have a 6000k adhesive LED strip (already stuck in place around a window) and it is way too harsh and cold for my liking. I have been looking for some kind of transparent coloured tape to cover it and make it a warm white. One idea I had was amber lens repair tape (automotive) but I can't seem to find it in any stores and online, shipping is expensive (I'm in Canada). 3M makes some. This solution might be too warm for your needs, but just throwing it out there... it would probably last fairly long since it's meant to go on the front of a car. I've also seen some decorative colour transparent tape on eBay, but not sure how pigmented it would be. I might try your masking tape idea!

TheGiantHogweed

Newly Enlightened
I have a similar situation... I have a 6000k adhesive LED strip (already stuck in place around a window) and it is way too harsh and cold for my liking. I have been looking for some kind of transparent coloured tape to cover it and make it a warm white. One idea I had was amber lens repair tape (automotive) but I can't seem to find it in any stores and online, shipping is expensive (I'm in Canada). 3M makes some. This solution might be too warm for your needs, but just throwing it out there... it would probably last fairly long since it's meant to go on the front of a car. I've also seen some decorative colour transparent tape on eBay, but not sure how pigmented it would be. I might try your masking tape idea!

Well, 6000k is what I am after and I am thinking that they often say it is 6000k when it is way over that. I will post a few images of what strips I have later.
the one I got to put behind my screen was said to be cool white. It is much more blue than all my LED bulbs that say they are cool white. The problem is is no matter what tape i put on it, the light is so harsh that is fades within weeks.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

markr6

Flashaholic
I think that is illegal.

Probably. Even though lights range from dirty 1970s yellow to blind-me-from-3-miles-away BMW/Audi blue-purple beams, a DIY is probably not legal since people could overdo it, making it look red, orange or some other crazy color.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Tried a pink highlighter pen with very good result today.
Thanks for the tip!
I have plastic film that is made to put on glasses (in front of one eye) to dim the vision.
I have used it to diffuse the beam on some light but also as a protection.
The dimming effect is very slight and on some sort it doesn't dim at all.
Anyway, I put the pink highlighter on the glass and on the glass side of the precut film and put the film on the lens before it dried.
My Fenix LD01 that I really like except for the greenish tint has now a nice cw tint and my SS Preon Revo has a nice nw tint without the green it had before.
It's like getting two new lights. ☺

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
I got a swatch book from Stage Light in Dallas with a couple of hundred samples on it for free. I have a Ti D25Cvn that was made into a thrower and I love it but it had a slightly greenish tint that I didn't care for. So I carefully cut out a piece of light light violet film from one of the samples that I had to squeeze to get into the bezel in front of the lens. Sort of have it wedged in there and now the tint is a beautiful neutral, creamy white. The film has been on there for almost 2 yrs now and the heat hasn't hurt it and this light gets hot quick.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

...just found this thread....

I use alot of tint filter film on my P60 lights, easy to get underneath lens.
but I wanted to 'warm up' my DRL lights on my car, no easy way behind lens covers ect.

Thought about using a marker months ago
& kinda dropped the idea after a while.

What about permanent marker instead of highlighter ??
use the orange to get a good neutral tint

(the generally cooler tint DRL lights will easily balance the orange)

d873a8ae-e407-4891-b06d-12907c93c2f2_1.ef8563cb17c46cfe360ddfdfdac3dc07.jpeg

__________^ Item: 38250PP

Last edited:

JoakimFlorence

Newly Enlightened
Something people should be aware of (sorry if this was already discussed before, I haven't read through the whole thread) is that highlighter markers contain fluorescent dye. It's not merely just a "filter", you are actually adding fluorescence. The fluorescent marker pigments absorb blue wavelength light and then reemit it as another color, either pink or yellow. I don't think fluorescent green markers glow under blue LED light though, they need shorter wavelengths.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
Something people should be aware of (sorry if this was already discussed before, I haven't read through the whole thread) is that highlighter markers contain fluorescent dye. It's not merely just a "filter", you are actually adding fluorescence. The fluorescent marker pigments absorb blue wavelength light and then reemit it as another color, either pink or yellow. I don't think fluorescent green markers glow under blue LED light though, they need shorter wavelengths.

That will depend on the color of the highlighter and the dye used. Some have activity at 450nm (or higher), and some have very little.

That said, with the die at the lens, the emission would not be at all focussed and is unlikely to impact the hotspot/beam to any appreciable amount.