Charger for 12,000mAH NiMH CTA D cells

symes

Enlightened
OK, so I just picked up 4 of these high capacity D cells and wondered whether it was OK to just pop them in my old Rayovac 4D charger or whether I need something more intense to get them fully loaded...

Also, if I end up with a configurable charger e.g. the Triton, what should I charge to and how to I get there?

Thanks all...

Simon

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Simon,

If you drain those cells, you may have to give it a couple of trys to get to full charge. The AccuManager 20 is about the best choice for the high capacity C and D cells. It will charge them on one try. Second choice is the Vanson BC-1HU, but you have to reset the charge half way through because of the timer.

If you step up to the Triton, I would suggest limiting the charge rate to below 5 amps. These cells are built more for capacity than high current.

Tom

cy

Flashaholic
symes, if you've got an old Ray-o-vac four D charger already. charge a few cycles and see it gets up to listed spec's by silver. otherwise follow his very sound advice.

my old ray-o-vac charger below serves me faithfully for charging up to 8 loose AA nmh with four independant channels.

charging station.JPG

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

If you drain those cells, you may have to give it a couple of trys to get to full charge. The AccuManager 20 is about the best choice for the high capacity C and D cells. It will charge them on one try...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In the Best Universal Charger thread, CPF user
AccuPower said:
....There is also a security timer for the round batteries around 35 hours. (In the AccuManager 20) So the theoretical maximum capacity you can load is about 28,000mAh. I think no cell will reach this limit in the next few years... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's with AccuPower R&D.

tbone_Ike

Newly Enlightened
AccuPower R&D or not, he's convinced me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
My AccuManager 20 is on the way!

It's seems as though it really is one of the only chargers of it's kind on the market which will indeed charge -much- higher capacity cells than currently available.
I needed a smart charger, but knew it would bug me a year from now if I'd spent +$50 and I found myself having to unplug the thing during a cycle to reset it.

Also, SilverFox's tests show the AccuManager as the leader in charge output upon 'completing' a charge.

With the ability to charge 9-volt and all std round cell sizes, I should be a set for a while with this charger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If I like this charger half as much as I think I will, AccuPower is going to want to hire me as a sales rep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif