Charger malfunction?

Caracer22

Newly Enlightened
I've been searching for a while but can't find a straight answer, I have a Wf-139 and a brand new Aw 18650. The charger does fine with my 17670 and will complete the charging cycle (ie the light goes from red to a solid green) with the new 18650 the charging cycle never completes its been on the charger for over 9 hrs I pulled it off multiple times and the voltage was 4.24-.25 it was on the charger for 2+ hours at 4.25 and never completed it's cycle. I said screw it and pulled it off because I don't want to toast my new battery. Also the last 2-3hrs when it was at 4.25 the battery and charger weren't even warm to the touch.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what is going on. Sounds like an operation issue with the charger. At least its not still charging since your battery is fully charged and not getting hot or the voltage getting higher after many hours.

Perhaps the design of the WF-139 is such that it has to go from a lower voltage up to the higher voltage before it will trip the LED to green? In other words actually enter a charge cycle. You didn't mention what the voltage was of the new AW battery before you inserted it. And I wonder if it was mostly charged to begin with and as such the charger sensed that and just doesn't perform a charge cycle.

Still you would expect the charger to implement a green LED status anyhow. So my guess says it just might be either the design of the WF-139 or an issue with it.

Discharge the 18650 down below 3.80 volts and then reinsert into the charger and see what happens. The other thing would be to monitor the voltage on your battery while it sits in the cradle of the WF-139 to make sure nothing weird is going on with that particular battery or the charger Also try other batteries to see if the same thing happens. Most likely this is a particular issue with this charger.

Caracer22

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure what is going on. Sounds like an operation issue with the charger. At least its not still charging since your battery is fully charged and not getting hot or the voltage getting higher after many hours.

Perhaps the design of the WF-139 is such that it has to go from a lower voltage up to the higher voltage before it will trip the LED to green? In other words actually enter a charge cycle. You didn't mention what the voltage was of the new AW battery before you inserted it. And I wonder if it was mostly charged to begin with and as such the charger sensed that and just doesn't perform a charge cycle.

Still you would expect the charger to implement a green LED status anyhow. So my guess says it just might be either the design of the WF-139 or an issue with it.

Discharge the 18650 down below 3.80 volts and then reinsert into the charger and see what happens. The other thing would be to monitor the voltage on your battery while it sits in the cradle of the WF-139 to make sure nothing weird is going on with that particular battery or the charger Also try other batteries to see if the same thing happens. Most likely this is a particular issue with this charger.

I didn't check the initial voltage but I did pull the cell and use it for a while, and when I put it back on it was at 3.90v, I'm thinking that the 450ma can't compleaty charge the large 3400mah cell. It does fine with my 17670 which is 1600mah

Caracer22

Newly Enlightened
I didn't check the initial voltage but I did pull the cell and use it for a while, and when I put it back on it was at 3.90v, I'm thinking that the 450ma can't compleaty charge the large 3400mah cell. It does fine with my 17670 which is 1600mah
Problem worked itself out, I ran the battery down too 3.70 and threw it back on the charger after it cooled and the final charge after the light turned green was 4.22

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
4.7v? You probably meant to type 3.7v! I've noticed that when new the 3400ma batteries take longer to charge. I've used various chargers and find the Xtar VP1 the best for me.

Caracer22

Newly Enlightened
4.7v? You probably meant to type 3.7v! I've noticed that when new the 3400ma batteries take longer to charge. I've used various chargers and find the Xtar VP1 the best for me.
Fixed thanks...

ill check that charger out, I really don't trust this wf-139 but its getting me by for now.