Charging Fenix 18650 volt/amp question

glg20

Newly Enlightened
I just acquired my first light that uses a 18650. It is a Fenix CL25R lantern. The light has a built in charger and the battery that ships with the light is a Fenix ARB-L2M 18650 3.6V 2300 mAh Li-Ion with protection circuit. The instructions with the light state "We recommend a power adapter with output over 5V, 1.5A. Cord that comes with the light is a micro USB on one end and a standard on the other. Question, am I OK using my Apple Iphone charger that is 5V and 1A? Thanks for any help as I have been reading about 18650's but nothing I have found addresses my question.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
You always want the power supply (Apple wall wart) to have a greater current capacity than the load (Fenix lantern.)

1A < 1.5A.

Get the Apple 2.4A 12w wall wart and be done.

Chris

glg20

Newly Enlightened
You always want the power supply (Apple wall wart) to have a greater current capacity than the load (Fenix lantern.)

1A < 1.5A.

Get the Apple 2.4A 12w wall wart and be done.

Chris

Thanks, I have always used 123's and the whole 18650 kinda spooked me. I initially tried the 1a Apple charger and it got pretty warm after a few minutes. Figured I better get on this forum and quiz someone.

Any idea what the output on a USB would be on a laptop?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I have always used 123's and the whole 18650 kinda spooked me. I initially tried the 1a Apple charger and it got pretty warm after a few minutes. Figured I better get on this forum and quiz someone.

Any idea what the output on a USB would be on a laptop?

That's the problem with this USB crap. USB 2.0 is speced at 500mA and USB 3.0 is speced for only 900mA, I believe. My Xtar VC4 charger needs 2A, so if I plug that sucker into my 4 year old Gateway PC, I'm going to blow the USB rail. Same with other computing devices using USB sockets. USB C is supposed to be better, but good luck with that now.

Most wall warts will tell you their output, so it's easy to figure out what works and doesn't.

Devices suck juice and will suck what they need. Wall warts don't push the juice, they just let it flow out of them. Wall warts will either be able to handle that need, or not.

Chris

glg20

Newly Enlightened
Chris, thanks for the info. Apple 2.4 for me. I think I will like the little lantern with the 18650 set up. Also the new 2.4 will charge my Iphone 6 and IPad Mini a lot faster. Whats not to like.

Richard

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris, thanks for the info. Apple 2.4 for me. I think I will like the little lantern with the 18650 set up. Also the new 2.4 will charge my Iphone 6 and IPad Mini a lot faster. Whats not to like.

Richard

That will work. I wanted cheap, so I looked on Ebay and found a guy selling OEM 12w Apple WWs for $8 + $1 shipping, so $9 and it works as intended. The Apple store on Miami Beach wanted $19 + 7% tax.

Chris

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I doubt you are going to do any damage to the USB rail on the computer power supply by overloading a USB port. The experience I have had is that each USB port incorporates overload detection. If you exceed the capability of the port, you get a warning message from the USB driver that you have exceeded the current source capability of the port, and it quite literally turns off the port, ending the overload instantly. That protects both the USB port and the power supply.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I doubt you are going to do any damage to the USB rail on the computer power supply by overloading a USB port. The experience I have had is that each USB port incorporates overload detection. If you exceed the capability of the port, you get a warning message from the USB driver that you have exceeded the current source capability of the port, and it quite literally turns off the port, ending the overload instantly. That protects both the USB port and the power supply.

Perhaps I overstated things and there are protections in place, but my monitor isn't always on when I'm charging things up like my TecSun PL390 radio, or when I'm using my Xtar chargers and I can't experiment with my PC, hoping that it's safe to do.

I did plug my MC1+ into the Gateway and started charging an 18650 at 1A before I realized what I was doing and stopped. Only a few minutes, but I haven't done it since.

Chris

BringerOfLight

Newly Enlightened
Actually I doubt you are going to do any damage to the USB rail on the computer power supply by overloading a USB port. The experience I have had is that each USB port incorporates overload detection.
That's the theory anyway. The USB spec does require overload protection. But some poorly designed motherboards and laptops do get fried occasionally.

There are also quite a lot of USB power supplies out there without any overload protection.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get one of these Drok OLED USB meters from Amazon for $15 - clicky. Takes a lot of the guess work out of USB devices and charging, some don't deliver what they claim, and even cheap cables can limit power flow. This thing also has a clock to track mah too, so is great for measuring input/output capacity, and managing undercharging (for Li-ion storage or longevity).

Raysbeam

Enlightened
You can use your IPhone USB plug it just won't charge as fast, fenix only recommends one over 1.5a to get the charge time to 2.5h, these are designed to work in your vehicle or on a computer receiving only 0.5a so the IPhone plug will work it just takes longer.

I just acquired my first light that uses a 18650. It is a Fenix CL25R lantern. The light has a built in charger and the battery that ships with the light is a Fenix ARB-L2M 18650 3.6V 2300 mAh Li-Ion with protection circuit. The instructions with the light state "We recommend a power adapter with output over 5V, 1.5A. Cord that comes with the light is a micro USB on one end and a standard on the other. Question, am I OK using my Apple Iphone charger that is 5V and 1A? Thanks for any help as I have been reading about 18650's but nothing I have found addresses my question.

1DaveN

Enlightened
For what it's worth, I've had great luck with the Anker 20w, 2-port chargers for about $10 on Amazon. They put out up to 2.4 amps per port or 4 total. (For some reason, the white ones are usually less expensive than black).

Raysbeam

Enlightened
If you haven't purchased a new USB plug I wouldn't, I have tested my Fenix CL25R with both my 1A IPhone plug and 2.1A IPad plug using the Xtar USB Detector the 1A plug charges between 0.94-0.99A. The 2.1A plug charges at 1.24A. My 1A plug gets just as warm to the touch while charging my IPhone 5s.